trailer help please

lovemyber135

hey everyone i have just purchased a new trailer well its not that new ha and it needs some work the brakes on one side are backwards or something the drum on one side is cracked but we dont know how much and the barings need replaced PM me if you could help me out...dont have lots of money but ill pay ya for labor

Last edited:

fredsaid2

Saufley Sandblasting , 301-884-5238

He repairs trailers, brakes, etc. Best to have that kind of work done by a place you can trust.

fredsaid2

Sorry, I'm no help w/ an estimate. I'd call and talk to them. Maybe they can give you a range. Whatever the cost it needs to be fixed correctly.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Sorry, I'm no help w/ an estimate. I'd call and talk to them. Maybe they can give you a range. Whatever the cost it needs to be fixed correctly.

:yeahthat: Welcome to horses, they're expensive. You really want a safe trailer so, it's worth the cost to fix it. That said Saufley Sandblasting will not hose you. The Saufley's are good, honest people. But, he's also very busy right now. If he can't take your trailer now ask him to recommend someone.

mingiz

Horse Poor
As far as replacing the brakes any place that does brakes can do it. It's not hard to do.....If I was you and it's old trailer I would go to eastern marine and order the whole assembly,that includes brakes magnets etc about 100$ a wheel. Well worth the cost over losing your trailer and horses

DocHudson

Seat Belts Save Boobs
Tractor Supply

Tractor Supply: sells complete units, install is simple. Instead of replacing some bad parts. Suggest replacing complete Unit. DIY
:buddies:

lovemyber135

Did you have it inspected before you bought it ? The brake problem may only be in the wireing connection.

it got inspected after i bought it...the whole situation was bull s***. but the inspector guy said that on one side the brakes were on backwards but the other side was good...and one of the drums were cracked but never told us how much...

SugarNSpikes

So did you have to pay for the inspection... or did they do it for you? I'd never buy a trailer unless the seller paid for the inspection or already had a current one [when we sold our last trailer, it was inspected for the people that bought it.].

Anyone that won't get an inspection is probably hiding something and that sounds shady to me.

mingiz

Horse Poor
it got inspected after i bought it...the whole situation was bull s***. but the inspector guy said that on one side the brakes were on backwards but the other side was good...and one of the drums were cracked but never told us how much...

try looking here you can get the total assembly. Cheaper than you think and all you have to do is put them on which is easy. I have done it...
CHAMPION TRAILER'S WEBPAGE

CHAMPION TRAILERS WEBPAGE FOR THEIR ELECTRIC BRAKES AND ASCOCIATED PARTS
You'll have to measure your brake pads to find out which one you have. Also are they electric or hydraulic?
About 300 total to replace both sides...Seems well worth it to me.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I take my trailer to LaGrande RV in Leonardtown.

He hasn't steered me wrong yet with what needs to be done.

I want to get my floorboards inspected since Sundowner's have a rep for rusting out. I probably will take it to a Sundowner dealer. That is a CWS day trip down to VA. My checkbook will squeak if they need to be replaced BUT..it is better than having something happen to my horse.

SugarNSpikes

try looking here you can get the total assembly. Cheaper than you think and all you have to do is put them on which is easy. I have done it...
CHAMPION TRAILER'S WEBPAGE

CHAMPION TRAILERS WEBPAGE FOR THEIR ELECTRIC BRAKES AND ASCOCIATED PARTS
You'll have to measure your brake pads to find out which one you have. Also are they electric or hydraulic?
About 300 total to replace both sides...Seems well worth it to me.

Ya, if it isn't too involved, 300$ for both is definitely worth it. :)

mingiz

Horse Poor
I take my trailer to LaGrande RV in Leonardtown.

He hasn't steered me wrong yet with what needs to be done.

I want to get my floorboards inspected since Sundowner's have a rep for rusting out. I probably will take it to a Sundowner dealer. That is a CWS day trip down to VA. My checkbook will squeak if they need to be replaced BUT..it is better than having something happen to my horse.

well why can't you look at the floor yourself? I pull my mats out twice a year and power wash it...You will have some corrosion from normal wear on the floor but why spend money when you can do it..? You can crawl under it and take a tool and poke for weak spots same on the inside....if it's a LQ ...Save yourself the trip and cost. My trailer is a 03 and the floor is in great condition....not a sundowner either...
La Grande is good they installed hitches and brake controllers for me in my other trucks.

lovemyber135

So did you have to pay for the inspection... or did they do it for you? I'd never buy a trailer unless the seller paid for the inspection or already had a current one [when we sold our last trailer, it was inspected for the people that bought it.].

Anyone that won't get an inspection is probably hiding something and that sounds shady to me.

yea we had to pay $60 for them to say it didnt pass at all not even close. yea and the guy said you could haul a horse in it today!!! how dangerous!

SugarNSpikes

yea we had to pay $60 for them to say it didnt pass at all not even close. yea and the guy said you could haul a horse in it today!!! how dangerous!

Well I hope it all works out for you and to see you at some of the shows.

Sounds like everyone has given you some good advice on where to go and hopefully it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Any work on my trailer that needs to be done, my uncle and granddad take care of it, but they're pretty handy guys to keep around. ;]

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
well why can't you look at the floor yourself? I pull my mats out twice a year and power wash it...You will have some corrosion from normal wear on the floor but why spend money when you can do it..? You can crawl under it and take a tool and poke for weak spots same on the inside....if it's a LQ ...Save yourself the trip and cost. My trailer is a 03 and the floor is in great condition....not a sundowner either...
La Grande is good they installed hitches and brake controllers for me in my other trucks.

There is powder coating plastic on top of the floor boards. You have to crawl underneath the trailer to look at the actual boards, and remove the plastic covering. I have a hard enough time moving the mats.

mingiz

Horse Poor
There is powder coating plastic on top of the floor boards. You have to crawl underneath the trailer to look at the actual boards, and remove the plastic covering. I have a hard enough time moving the mats.

Gotcha Thought it was a aluminum floor..... Hmmm that may be thier problem the plastic coating probably breaks in colder weather and allows wet to get in under the coating,and then the wood starts to rot. Speaking of mats I have one to move also...YES they do kill ya... :buddies:

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I would never buy a used vehicle or trailer without first having it looked over by a shop to see if it will pass. Some shops will do a quick glance over vehicles to let you know how much will fail the inspection. I would also never buy a vehicle without having it go thru inspection first.

I just sold a truck to a boy and I allowed him to pick the shop of his choice and have them do an inspection at HIS cost then let him decide if he wanted to buy it. As a seller I won't sell a vehicle with an inspection sticker or put it through... it's not my thing to worry about since it won't be my vehicle any more.

Next time I would ask the seller if you can have the trailer looked at it so you don't spend all the money on the trailer then learn you have to put more into it.

SugarNSpikes

I would never buy a used vehicle or trailer without first having it looked over by a shop to see if it will pass. Some shops will do a quick glance over vehicles to let you know how much will fail the inspection. I would also never buy a vehicle without having it go thru inspection first.

I just sold a truck to a boy and I allowed him to pick the shop of his choice and have them do an inspection at HIS cost then let him decide if he wanted to buy it. As a seller I won't sell a vehicle with an inspection sticker or put it through... it's not my thing to worry about since it won't be my vehicle any more.

Next time I would ask the seller if you can have the trailer looked at it so you don't spend all the money on the trailer then learn you have to put more into it.

Ya, I definitely see where you're coming from and you make very valid points. The trailer we bought already had a recent inspection from the very nice people we bought it from so that was handy.

But it's definitely good to have it checked out by a professional before buying a big piece of equipment like that. :]