Travel Agents - Are they worth it?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Booking my honeymoon.
Finding that I just have too many choices and don't want to make the wrong one.

Is it worth it to hire one?
Do you pay them a fee or do they figure that in the cost of the trip?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
sleuth said:
Booking my honeymoon.

I thought they got kickbacks from the airlines.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
It depends what kind of a vacation you're looking for, and where you want to go/what you hope to accomplish.

99% of the time, I do without the travel agent because I've found that you can usually do it cheaper and more flexibly without one; but on rare occasion, an experienced one can be helpful.

Where are you planning your honeymoon, just out of curiosity?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
For something as important as a honeymoon, I would definitely use a travel agent. And I say this as someone who's been booking on Expedia since they started operation.

Go down to Carlson Wagonlit in Laurel Glen - they put together mine and Larry's wedding/honeymoon and did a fantastic job.

SmallTown

Football season!
A good travel agent is invaluable if you are going some place you have never gone before. You might be able to save a few bucks doing it yourself, but you are going to spend a lot of time doing it. I value my time, it is definately worth telling an agent where you want to go, where you want to fly out of, and let them get back to you with all of the numbers and everything already reserved. No idea about the kickbacks they receive, but I'm sure they exist. But on the same note, if they happen to deal with a particular property often, they might be able to throw in a few extras that you might not receive otherwise.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
For something as important as a honeymoon, I would definitely use a travel agent. And I say this as someone who's been booking on Expedia since they started operation.

Go down to Carlson Wagonlit in Laurel Glen - they put together mine and Larry's wedding/honeymoon and did a fantastic job.

Psssttt... he moved back to Indiana.

C

cyphertext69

sleuth said:
Booking my honeymoon.

I have an awesome Cruise Travel Agent if you want her number....she hooks me up with really good prices!

SmallTown said:
A good travel agent is invaluable if you are going some place you have never gone before. You might be able to save a few bucks doing it yourself, but you are going to spend a lot of time doing it. I value my time, it is definately worth telling an agent where you want to go, where you want to fly out of, and let them get back to you with all of the numbers and everything already reserved. No idea about the kickbacks they receive, but I'm sure they exist. But on the same note, if they happen to deal with a particular property often, they might be able to throw in a few extras that you might not receive otherwise.

Key word "good" . I was watching the news a couple of nights ago and they had a piece about a couple who booked a vacation to a resort and when the cab dropped them at the site it was a huge empty lot. Seems the resort had never gotten built. Check out whatever you book for yourself. They do recieve kickbacks and don't always offer every possibility. You can do better on your own, but they do take a lot of the work and worry out of it. Good luck!

marianne

SmallTown said:
You might be able to save a few bucks doing it yourself, but you are going to spend a lot of time doing it. I value my time

If you know exactly what you want to do and it's complicated to arrange (i.e., lots of stop overs, stays, etc) then it probably makes sense to use a travel agent to save yourself time.

Personally I prefer to do the research myself because I'm a control freak and I'll find things I never knew I never knew. For example, I'm planning a trip to Italy now. When I told a travel agent I want an outdoor, REI type vacation, they gave me lots of brochures with bicycle tours but nothing else. I hate bicycling. But from doing some research I've found a place to kayak. I'd hate to be bicycling in Tuscany and THEN find out I could have been kayaking on the coast. Also, I've always gotten better rates myself than using any travel agent.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
As said above it comes down to two things... Your ability to do the research and your ability to know what you are getting yourself into as a traveler. If going out of country, this exponentially can make a situation worse if you do not know what you are doing. If you are not an experienced world traveler, definitely go with an agent to arrange everything if you travel overseas. If you aren't an experienced travel shopper and know plenty about where you are going within the country, still use a travel agent. Travel agents often can make sure you not only have a good place to stay (not luck of the internet), have everything you need, but they can also point out what you should see and do there within your interests (so you don't just get there and spend half the time trying to figure out what to do ... pre-plan). Never think something is as simple as just getting plane tickets there and a hotel.

That said, I do not use a travel agent. However, I have traveled enough over the years to generally know what to expect in different types of travel or how to get the correct and appropriate information. If I were going someplace completely foreign to me, I would probably find a travel service that specialized in that location to make sure I had an easy going trip.

The last part.. This is your honeymoon. It is incredibly important to the person you are marrying. No matter how much you know or think you know, getting the best travel agent should be your preferred route. Vrai mentioned Carlson above. I also recommend American Express Travel Group.