Trump’s Speech Was Quiet — And Quietly Radical

stgislander

PREMO Member
What would you say had a Muslim President of the United States said 'We are all created by Allah" or a secularist President said "We are all created by the same swamp muck"? Or can I guess your response? He made an establishment statement in a joint session of congress, not some remark to Westerboro Baptist that no one else heard.

It's unconstitutional.

Doesn't the 1st Amendment allow him to say something unconstitutional?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
wow that is a LONG Stretch ..... how exactly is the Comment a Violation of the Separation of Church and State :shrug:

I suppose the length of the strength is a function of ones willingness to think.

The President of the United States of America said, in a joint session, that we are all created by the same god' is not some comment. It's a statement.

PsyOps

Pixelated
What would you say had a Muslim President of the United States said 'We are all created by Allah" or a secularist President said "We are all created by the same swamp muck"? Or can I guess your response? He made an establishment statement in a joint session of congress, not some remark to Westerboro Baptist that no one else heard.

It's unconstitutional.

If he had said we are all created by Allah I'd say "no I'm not". I have my own mind and don't need a president to make any of these determinations for me. Have we all become this weak that we regard EVERYTHING a president says as some sort of legal establishment of something, therefore we must fear it?

If you believe this badly that it's unconstitutional, I suggest you push for his impeachment. Let's see where it goes.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Doesn't the 1st Amendment allow him to say something unconstitutional?

You and I, yes. Him being President of the United States, the head of the gummint, his words carry a lot more weight. Again, what if he'd said we were created by Allah? No one would be arguing then, would they? :buddies:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Do you believe in the first amendment?
Do you believe in the separation of church and state?
Do you think President Trump's declaration, in a joint session of congress, not some speech to some religious group somewhere in BF Kansas, of ONE god violates that separation?

I think it, clearly, does.

I'm more worried about a rumored price increase in a 12-pack of Corona....

Seriously.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I suppose the length of the strength is a function of ones willingness to think.

The President of the United States of America said, in a joint session, that we are all created by the same god' is not some comment. It's a statement.

Do you believe are all created by the same god/swamp muck?

stgislander

PREMO Member
You and I, yes. Him being President of the United States, the head of the gummint, his words carry a lot more weight. Again, what if he'd said we were created by Allah? No one would be arguing then, would they? :buddies:

If one believes that the Lord, Yahweh, and Allah all refer to the same being, then no.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Do you believe are all created by the same god/swamp muck?

I don't believe we were created. I think we evolved. Two very different things. I believe in religious freedom and I believe that can NOT exist unless the government that protects it is secular.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I don't believe we were created. I think we evolved. Two very different things. I believe in religious freedom and I believe that can NOT exist unless the government that protects it is secular.

So you reject that we were all endowed by our CREATOR.

Given we have had a government - its presidents, members of congress, governors, mayors, etc... - that used the term God, all over the place, how is it we still have our freedom of religion intact; even freedom FROM religion?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So you reject that we were all endowed by our CREATOR.

Well, given we have had a government - its presidents, members of congress, governors, mayors, etc... - that used the term God, all over the place, how is it we still have our freedom of religion intact?

As I explained, it's the context.

I think it was Jefferson who did NOT want a chaplain in the House and Senate. Can't win 'em all. Can't win any if you don't stand against what's wrong. Paine tried to have slavery banned in the Constitution. Imagine the trouble that would have saved. :shrug:

PsyOps

Pixelated
As I explained, it's the context.

I think it was Jefferson who did NOT want a chaplain in the House and Senate. Can't win 'em all. Can't win any if you don't stand against what's wrong. Paine tried to have slavery banned in the Constitution. Imagine the trouble that would have saved. :shrug:

Yet, every session of congress and our SCOTUS is started with a prayer; a clear violation of separation.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yet, every session of congress and our SCOTUS is started with a prayer; a clear violation of separation.

You could make that argument. It still wouldn't be as egregious as declaring "We are all created by the same god" or "we are all evolved from NO god" because the prayers I've heard them say don't make such claims or declarations.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Do you believe in the first amendment?
Do you believe in the separation of church and state?
Do you think President Trump's declaration, in a joint session of congress, not some speech to some religious group somewhere in BF Kansas, of ONE god violates that separation?

I think it, clearly, does.

My version of the separation of church and state doesn't really mind someone mentioning God in a speech. It's more of when an actual action is performed; such as establishing a church and giving a benefit for joining or allowing one faith legal leeway while holding others to the letter of the law, but that's only a single atheists' POV.