Trump’s Speech Was Quiet — And Quietly Radical

PsyOps

Pixelated
You could make that argument. It still wouldn't be as egregious as declaring "We are all created by the same god" or "we are all evolved from NO god" because the prayers I've heard them say don't make such claims or declarations.

The 1st places limits on government establishing religion; not speaking about it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The 1st places limits on government establishing religion; not speaking about it.

As I say, I can claim all day long we were all made by the same god, the god of the old Testament. You can run around and shout 'we all come from the same particles of stardust!" I, and you, are not President of the United States of America speaking before a joint session of congress.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The radical part of his speech and the part no one has commented on so far is his stunningly anti-constitutional proclamation that... "we are all created by the same god."

I was with him for awhile but that blew the entire thing. That is, clearly, a suggestion of gummint favoritism of a particular faith and that is as un and anti constitutional as it gets.

Which particular faith is that, exactly??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
As I say, I can claim all day long we were all made by the same god, the god of the old Testament. You can run around and shout 'we all come from the same particles of stardust!" I, and you, are not President of the United States of America speaking before a joint session of congress.

I missed him saying anything about the Old Testament.. just the Same God..

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Do you believe in the separation of church and state?

This is a creation of the courts. It is not in the Constitution. What is in the Constitution is that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...". This was put in so as to avoid what England did with the Church of England. You know, like burning heretics at the stake? etc etc etc.

This_person

If I may ...

This is a creation of the courts. It is not in the Constitution. What is in the Constitution is that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...". This was put in so as to avoid what England did with the Church of England. You know, like burning heretics at the stake? etc etc etc.

Thank you. I was going to get this, but I wanted to see if someone else did it first, and you did.

No law was passed, no religion was established, no one was denied the free exercise of their religion. There is absolutely no foundation to argue a point any other way.

This_person

I don't believe we were created. I think we evolved. Two very different things. I believe in religious freedom and I believe that can NOT exist unless the government that protects it is secular.

I love the evolution argument. We evolved from what - lifelessness? When lifelessness mutated, suddenly there was life? What caused the mutation in lifelessness?

Kev_Russell

I love the evolution argument. We evolved from what - lifelessness? When lifelessness mutated, suddenly there was life? What caused the mutation in lifelessness?

You're arguing from incredulity.

Gods were responsible for thunder until we understood the natural causes of thunder. Sun. Rain. Bacteria. Viruses. And so on. In other words gods are confined only to those areas of the universe which are not understood. The size and quantity of those unknown pieces of the universe are shrinking daily.

Just because you cannot conceive of evolution doesn't mean it is impossible for someone to know.

We evolved from what - lifelessness?

It's called abiogenesis.

This_person

You're arguing from incredulity.

I am?

Gods were responsible for thunder until we understood the natural causes of thunder. Sun. Rain. Bacteria. Viruses. And so on. In other words gods are confined only to those areas of the universe which are not understood. The size and quantity of those unknown pieces of the universe are shrinking daily.

Just because you cannot conceive of evolution doesn't mean it is impossible for someone to know.

Actually, I can conceive of evolution. Micro-evolultion is pretty obvious and clear. But, for evolution to occur (and, again, I'm saying it clearly does), there needs to be life to mutate. Evolution is not a theory of origin, it is a theory of change.

It's called abiogenesis.
:roflmao:

www.dictionary.com
noun
1. the now discredited theory that living organisms can arise spontaneously from inanimate matter; spontaneous generation.

Medical-Dictionary
abiogenesis The theory of ‘spontaneous generation’-the long-discarded notion that living organisms can be formed from non-living matter. Louis Pasteur's work (see PASTEURIZATION) did much to overthrow this idea which was based largely on the observation that maggots often appeared on rotting meat.

Try again, sunshine.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Don't know. That's where science comes in as it slowly, steadily replaces our superstitions and myths.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Which particular faith is that, exactly??

As I pointed out, that's not relevant IF you believe in a secular gummint that protects freedom of religion. The government declaring there is ONE is the same as declaring there is none and neither is the business of gummint.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If I may ...

In order for there to be religious freedom protected by the gummint, there can NOT be a state religion and exactly for the purpose you note; what it's like when there is one. It's a construct of logic and reason and the founders specifically built it in.

This_person

Don't know. That's where science comes in as it slowly, steadily replaces our superstitions and myths.

I agree no one knows. However, when you look at scientific answers, all you will find is a mechanism by which a design could have been implemented, not a reason for it to have happened.

:buddies:

This_person

In order for there to be religious freedom protected by the gummint, there can NOT be a state religion and exactly for the purpose you note; what it's like when there is one. It's a construct of logic and reason and the founders specifically built it in.

And, nothing Trump said violated it. That's the point you are not grasping.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Just as in our own State Constitution regarding a god. Article 36 "Nothing shall prohibit or require the making reference to belief in, reliance upon, or invoking the aid of God or a Supreme Being in any governmental or public document, proceeding, activity, ceremony, school, institution, or place."