under water digital camera recommendation

xobxdoc

I'm going to Aruba next month and will be doing a lot of snorkeling. Does anyone have any recommendation on an under water digital camera?

If it's not something you will ever use again, rent one, if you're looking for high quality.

You can get waterproof one-time use cameras which are fine for snorkeling as well.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I got a Dicapac case and an Olympus point and shoot camera to fit. Invested about $100 total. Works great in pools and water parks. Even shot a movie going down a water slide.

How deep are you planning on diving? flexible cases are usually limited by the strength of the spring under the shutter button. Around 20-30 feet the water pressure will keep the button depressed.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Curacao used to have an awsome whore house, just hop in a cab and ask to go to the compound.
They also had an Amstel brewery
Tour the brewery, hit the brothel, tour the brewery, hit the brothel, tour the brewery, hit the brothel and then get a couple of beers on the way back to the ship, that was a mighty fine way to spend a Saturday :lol:

xobxdoc

I got a Dicapac case and an Olympus point and shoot camera to fit. Invested about $100 total. Works great in pools and water parks. Even shot a movie going down a water slide.

How deep are you planning on diving? flexible cases are usually limited by the strength of the spring under the shutter button. Around 20-30 feet the water pressure will keep the button depressed.

Just doing some surface snorkeling. I have tried the one-use water proof disposable cameras but the picture quality was bad. Thanks to all for the good ideas.

xobxdoc

I just read that the owners of the lost camera were found. There is a forum on aruba.com that helped track down the owners. They lost their camera while diving at Eagle Beach, Aruba and it drifted for 6 months to Key West.

Last edited:

mkd20012001

Live~Love~Laugh
I have the Olympus underwater digital camera and it has taken some good shots while snorkeling. I havve used it on two trips now and I have no complaints. It takes great pictures above the water too. I got it at Best Buy for like $350. I did flood it on our last trip but it was my fault. I didn't close the slot where you chrge it before I went snorkeling.

xobxdoc

Just got the Dicapac. I had to get the largest one they had. It is still hard to get the camera in and out but it will do. I'll be in Aruba 4th of July week and i'll post pics when I get back. Thanks for the suggestion. About the shutter button, Isn't the pressure felt on top and below the button? How would the spring compress?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Isn't the pressure felt on top and below the button? How would the spring compress?

At sea level, there is 14.7 lbs of air pressure pressure inside the case.
This won't change.
At 33 feet under water, you'll have twice as much pressure (2 atmospheres) or 29.4 lbs on the outside of the case. This is about 0.445 psi per foot of depth.
At 10 feet you'll have 4.45 lbs more pressure outside pressing on the shutter release than inside pushing back