Understanding Ayn Rand

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
An excellent 5-minute video from PragerU:

Yes, I am a fan of Rand. Have been since high school. I think she gets a few thing wrong (her stances on relationships or religion, for example), but as far as government, liberty, and economics go I'm solidly with her.

What's interesting is that it no longer seems likely it will be the captains of industry who will address the ills Rand wrote about in "Atlas Shrugged." It seems it will have to be The People all on their own.

--- End of line (MCP)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yes, I am a fan of Rand. Have been since high school.

--- End of line (MCP)

Same here...my HS days being the early 70s. I read Atlas Shrugged first...and my mind was blown.

Her writings have proven to be stunningly prophetic....sadly. As have George Orwell's... ;-(

Bobwhite

I'm a member of her fan club as well. Atlas Shrugged is probably my favorite. The Fountainhead was also good. Haven't read Anthem, yet.

Yooper

I've seen the movie several times, I have yet to crack the book .....
:sshrug:I have not seen the movie, but I distinctly recall reading the book back then. I couldn't put it down.
I've "experienced" both. Liked the (3-part) movie, loved the book. (For those who find the movie difficult, I think having read the book really helps.)

--- End of line (MCP)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've "experienced" both. Liked the (3-part) movie, loved the book. (For those who find the movie difficult, I think having read the book really helps.)

--- End of line (MCP)
I'm one of those types that is eternally disappointed by movies that fail to faithfully follow the book that I've always already read. I can actually recall the few exceptions...like the screen adaptation of Hal Moore's book "We Were Soldiers Once...and Young".

Yooper

I'm one of those types that is eternally disappointed by movies that fail to faithfully follow the book that I've always already read. I can actually recall the few exceptions...like the screen adaptation of Hal Moore's book "We Were Soldiers Once...and Young".
Absolutely agree on both counts. "We Were Soldiers" was absolutely fantastic. Mel Gibson was spot-on as Hal Moore. From what I recall Sam Elliott didn't much resemble SGM Plumley (as Gibson did Moore), but his performance as the "task force" sergeant major was phenomenal. What a great movie on so many levels (something I have come to appreciate more and more as I've gotten older).

--- End of line (MCP)

PJay

Absolutely agree on both counts. "We Were Soldiers" was absolutely fantastic. Mel Gibson was spot-on as Hal Moore. From what I recall Sam Elliott didn't much resemble SGM Plumley (as Gibson did Moore), but his performance as the "task force" sergeant major was phenomenal. What a great movie on so many levels (something I have come to appreciate more and more as I've gotten older).

--- End of line (MCP)

Lost count how many times I've watched. Soon, will watch again.

Clem72

I liked the Starship Troopers movie more than the book. Could probably throw The Godfather in there too.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'm one of those types that is eternally disappointed by movies that fail to faithfully follow the book that I've always already read.
Same and why if I love a book, I will rarely watch the movie as it will most certainly disappoint. My exception is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Love everything about both the books and movies. 🤓

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Same and why if I love a book, I will rarely watch the movie as it will most certainly disappoint. My exception is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Love everything about both the books and movies. 🤓

There are some exceptions.

I read Fatherland, Enigma and Archangel by Robert Harris.

Enjoyed the books and the films.

Yooper

I read Fatherland, Enigma and Archangel by Robert Harris.
I've loved everything Harris has written up until his last two ("The Second Sleep" and "V2"; the former was "mailed in," the latter seemed more a novella/short story than a novel.). His "Cicero" novels were fantastic. Like you, I really enjoyed "Enigma" and "Archangel."

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat
:sshrug:I have not seen the movie, but I distinctly recall reading the book back then. I couldn't put it down.

I didn't even know there was a movie until this thread. I like Rand, and I somewhat align with her objectivist philosophy - but I couldn't wait to put that book down. It was just ... I dunno.

It's like Tolkien. I loved that story and the characters... but reading that mfer was just ... I dunno.

They were difficult. Not difficult to follow and comprehend - but difficult to find a groove. Whenever I would read them I wanted to do something - anything - else. Reading is usually fun. Those weren't fun for me.

Last edited: