Unemployment Insurance Questions

NBF

Just sent BEACON an email asking them why they are not using TEXT MESSAGES to notify us of our turn. I've missed every email from them notifying me that I had to return to BEACON and log-in...We'll see what they say. Not sure if their technology can handle it or not at this point, but they did give us that choice when asked for our choice of communication!

stgislander

PREMO Member
Just sent BEACON an email asking them why they are not using TEXT MESSAGES to notify us of our turn. I've missed every email from them notifying me that I had to return to BEACON and log-in...We'll see what they say. Not sure if their technology can handle it or not at this point, but they did give us that choice when asked for our choice of communication!
Yeah, the 10 minute heads-up email has been coming in at less than 2 minutes to go.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Just an FYI. My son got this email today......

Subject: Solution to Mistakenly Inactivated Claims Due to New Webcert Questions

Good afternoon,

We have made several improvements this week to the Beacon One-Stop application to help claimants navigate the site more easily. However, those who previously used the Maryland Department of Labor’s online unemployment insurance application to file their weekly claim certifications may have recognized that the number and type of questions have changed on the new BEACON One-Stop.

In order to implement the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) programs, the U.S. Department of Labor issued guidance that required states to capture additional information from claimants through the weekly claim certification. The additional questions will help us administer benefits to all eligible Marylanders, including individuals who would not traditionally be eligible for unemployment benefits.

Unfortunately, since the launch of the BEACON One-Stop application, many claimants have mistakenly inactivated their unemployment insurance claim while answering the new weekly claim certification questions. In order to rectify this issue for our customers as quickly as possible, our department has implemented an automated solution to reactivate these claims and prevent benefit payments from being interrupted. We have also streamlined and clarified the questions to alleviate any further confusion.

Marylanders with a claim that became inactive last week can now login to their BEACON One-Stop account to file their weekly claim certification like normal. Those with a claim that became inactive this Sunday or Monday after filing their weekly claim certification will also have their claim automatically reactivated, but do not need to refile this week’s claim certification.

As issues arise, we are working as quickly as we can to resolve them. Nothing is more important to us than ensuring that all eligible Marylanders receive the benefits they need and deserve as soon as possible. For additional information, please visit our website at MDunemployment.com.

Sincerely,

Tiffany's signature

Tiffany P. Robinson

Secretary

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So - yesterday was so busy & I didn't see these last couple of posts. I was in a 3 hour LIVE webinar I was attending when UNEMPLOYMENT CALLED ME! Well, it was a 301 number which I answered, because it might be the almighty OZ - which it was.

Anyway, apparently, my unemployment problem is BECAUSE I ANSWERED HONESTLY that I got "special pay" or "bonus pay". I guess that was what wrong or flagged my account. I get commissions, which are obviously above what my base pay is!!! So I answered "Yes" to that, and they have to call to verify that. It took them 6 weeks to get to get down to my name on the list of calls to make.

So NOW they've released my money and my debit card is in the mail. :rolleyes: I looked it up this morning and it says 6 weeks of pay that will be coming, but there is no way that $600. is included. I guess I have a question about that - is the $600. deposited separately and not counted in the amount DOL tells you that you're getting?

awpitt

Main Streeter
So - yesterday was so busy & I didn't see these last couple of posts. I was in a 3 hour LIVE webinar I was attending when UNEMPLOYMENT CALLED ME! Well, it was a 301 number which I answered, because it might be the almighty OZ - which it was.

Anyway, apparently, my unemployment problem is BECAUSE I ANSWERED HONESTLY that I got "special pay" or "bonus pay". I guess that was what wrong or flagged my account. I get commissions, which are obviously above what my base pay is!!! So I answered "Yes" to that, and they have to call to verify that. It took them 6 weeks to get to get down to my name on the list of calls to make.

So NOW they've released my money and my debit card is in the mail. :rolleyes: I looked it up this morning and it says 6 weeks of pay that will be coming, but there is no way that $600. is included. I guess I have a question about that - is the $600. deposited separately and not counted in the amount DOL tells you that you're getting?

I know it's taken forever for them to get your stuff squared away but I'm glad you're on track now. As far as the money, the amounts shown on the Beacon Website are your MD unemployment amounts. Does not include the extra weekly $600. For my son, the first week, it came in two separate payments one for the state money. One for the federal money. A day apart. After the first week, it's been coming in as one payment each week.

Bann

PREMO Member
I know it's taken forever for them to get your stuff squared away but I'm glad you're on track now. As far as the money, the amounts shown on the Beacon Website are your MD unemployment amounts. Does not include the extra weekly $600. For my son, the first week, it came in two separate payments one for the state money. One for the federal money. A day apart. After the first week, it's been coming in as one payment each week.
Thanks, Awpitt! :yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
:yahoo: I received my approval letter today. It say I can expect to receive my debit card within the next 7-10 days.
You ever figure out when the pay period starts?..will you get paid from the layoff date..or the date you applied?..or simply from the day you got the approval letter?

awpitt

Main Streeter
You ever figure out when the pay period starts?..will you get paid from the layoff date..or the date you applied?..or simply from the day you got the approval letter?

The eligibility period starts when the layoff/furlough started. If someone applies late or applies right away but the approval is late, they will get paid dating back to the start of the layoff/furlough.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The eligibility period starts when the layoff/furlough started. If someone applies late or applies right away but the approval is late, they will get paid dating back to the start of the layoff/furlough.

That's what I was hoping. Thanks.

This is going to work out after all. My folks will get unemployment plus the extra $600/week for 1 April through at least next week or two...when I expect the PPP money to show up in the account and they can come back in!. I signed all the loan paperwork this morning.

Very rocky start...but it looks like we'll make it.

awpitt

Main Streeter

This is going to work out after all. My folks will get unemployment plus the extra $600/week for 1 April through at least next week or two...when I expect the PPP money to show up in the account and they can come back in!. I signed all the loan paperwork this morning.

Good. I'm glad that things are starting to fall into place for you.

Bann

PREMO Member

That's awesome news! :yahoo:

stgislander

PREMO Member
Thanks Awpitt. My reading of the paperwork said benefits are paid based on the claim application date which for me was 4/22.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Good. I'm glad that things are starting to fall into place for you.

Been a bumpy 6 weeks.

Our ability to deliver our product was cut off at both ends...key supplier in PA shut down and key supplier in CA, where we consolidate the complete system for shipment overseas, shut down. Our CA supplier reopens on Monday...and I expect our PA supplier will be up and running again within only a couple weeks.

Close call...but looks like we'll survive. Funny COVID-19 thing happened to bank lending too; a two-ship project for a Scottish owner/operator was close to being signed with a builder in Singapore or Vietnam. The negotiations have been ongoing for two fricking years..we're sitting here like "Just build the damned things already!" COVID-19 changed all that ....UK bank money suddenly became cheaper and readily available as long as the build would be in UK. WooT!..looks like SGI will get to visit his favorite pubs in the Isle of Wight again. Me?..I was kinda looking forward to a build project in Vietnam. Next one maybe.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I had like $3000 on the debit card before I ever received it. :crazy:

You'll get an email from "MD UI Benefits Debit Card " when funds are added to your account. That will reflect the extra $600/week.

So you'll have a nice chunk of dough once you get your card.