Urgent- neglect need advice....

ladyhawk

So there are two sides to everyone's story. I know this farm manager, not friends, but horse aquaintances. Keep in mind that a boarder at the farm is not going to know EVERYTHING that goes on. We have had similar issues with boarders. Just because they didnt see treatment/phone calles etc. with their own eyes, must mean it didnt happen! I was told about this horse and its condition, by the manager and how he was working with the vet, and absentee owner on helping the horse. The horse was blowing abcesses frequently. Upon vet inspection it was discovered to have a very bad infection in the hoof which had eaten away part of the coffin bone. This is why the horse was put down. there was no hope of making the horse comfortable long term. This was the OWNER's decision! Obviously the owner trusted the barn manager to give her all the info to help her make this decision in her abcense.
And yes this farm is mostly self care, more like people renting out little barns/sections of the farm. The manager with a couple of the boarders helping out are responsible for a couple other "full board" horses. To my knowledge ALL of the horses are well cared for. From the sounds of it not much could have been differently in this case. If it were my horse that has been chronically lame, would I have thought, Well this horse must have a terrible infection in its hoof, that is going to cripple it for life and it will have to be put down! No. Also boarding manager only has so much control over an owner's horse. Unless they believe the horse to be in dire need, they will probably not call the vet out on their own dime. I know personally the horse would have to be in serious serious trouble for me to call the vet without owners permission, (which I have done on one occasion, as owner would not call vet, so I did) If the owner does not agree with the prescribed treatment, that you got, on their horse, they could potentially sue you!!

Agree, there are two sides to everyone's story. I also know the farm manager, not necessarily friends but, like you I would consider us acquaintances. In his defense, I remember when he actually cared about the horses and the facility. I would also add that based on my personal experiences, you can't always trust what you hear, embellishment also tends to distort the truth...

June

Eventer29

I agree. Either or both could be distorting. I just hate to see everyone want to out/bash the farm based on a rumor or the say of one individual. If this has been reported, and gone through the proper channels and is proven to be actual neglect, then out the barn/manager and bash all you want. I just hate to see someone possibily lose their business due to one person's word. Wait and see what happens.
In the meantime, boarder's check on your horses! If you cant do it have a friend look in on them from time to time. I understand that some that board their horses cant go every day/week, etc. But have someone you trust check in. I cant even immagine boarding my horse. I would be so worried about them even if I had total trust in the owner/manager of the facility. Lol course I have mine and others here on the farm that I worry about all the time anyways!

Regardless of whether or not horses at the facility are being cared for properly, the farm is not on the list of Licensed Stables in the state of Maryland and it sounds like it should be: Licensing

That in and of itself is grounds for an official complaint.