US Open

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Looks like Tiger is well on his way to recovery from the surgery he had. Torrey Pines is kicking some serious butt and making many of these guys look human. I quit watching to eat and Tiger went from +1 to -1 and Rocco went from -4 to +1, I guess I missed the best of today.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is NOT...

...what I think of when I think 'US Open' course, at all.

The rough, graduated as it is, is, for the most part, a joke. It's ridiculously long, but, great US Opens have always been about accuracy, not length. The greens aren't even scary fast like most US Opens. No one is running the ball 6-8 feet past and many of the pin positions seem like collection points.

Entertaining, yes. Difficult to make a four on 500 yard par 4's? Sure.

I've been wondering for a year now if Torrey, kind of an Augusta type course, would make a good US Open test. I don't think so.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Did you see the pain on Tiger's face, after hitting a number of drives/approach shots, on the last 4 or 5 holes?

He' hurting for sure. He said the knee only hurts after impact, but danm, knowing it's going to twinge like that has got to be on your mind, no?

Question I have - will he be able to even complete the last 18 holes?

Kerad

Ohhhh...pooor widdle Tiger.

His widdle knee hurts. which he hurt by...playing golf.

Poor Baby....Or poor Pussy, as it seems.

:rolleyes:

Golf injuries. heh.

:baby:

Agee

...what I think of when I think 'US Open' course, at all.

The rough, graduated as it is, is, for the most part, a joke. It's ridiculously long, but, great US Opens have always been about accuracy, not length. The greens aren't even scary fast like most US Opens. No one is running the ball 6-8 feet past and many of the pin positions seem like collection points.

Entertaining, yes. Difficult to make a four on 500 yard par 4's? Sure.

I've been wondering for a year now if Torrey, kind of an Augusta type course, would make a good US Open test. I don't think so.

Beg to differ, the nature of the grass in the rough coupled with the thin aproaches and "graduted rough" meant accuracy was key. Hitting fairways, greens and pars, turned out to be the key as with most US Opens.

Interesting Monday indeed!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Apparently, Tiger can play through the pain his knee is causing him, well enough to shoot -1 under. It sounds as though there are some folks who've never played the game before, and do not know how much mental concentration you have to be able to maintain, in order to keep the ball in the fairway, much less put the ball on the green and make the putt.

Most players on these forums know you have to block out mental emotions, if you expect to shoot a reasonable score. Woods is obviously doing that, and at the same time, he's getting past the pain he feels everytime he swings that club.

Yeah, I know, that's what he gets paid to do. :lmao:

thurley42

HY;FR
I was there on Thursday....insane amount of people couldn't believe it...you had to take a shuttle from Qualcom just to get in the vicinity of the course...gorgeous though...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Isn't...

Beg to differ, the nature of the grass in the rough coupled with the thin aproaches and "graduted rough" meant accuracy was key. Hitting fairways, greens and pars, turned out to be the key as with most US Opens.

Interesting Monday indeed!

...that contradictory? Rocco couldn't find a fairway and he's in a playoff. Tiger and Lee both couldn't find the fairway on 18 t, and Tiger hits it to 15 feet from the 'graduated' rough. That's not US open to me.

Look at driving accuracy v. past opens. Rocco hit 65% of fairways for the week. Tiger was at 53%. The field was 58. The field. US open possibly to be won by one of the worst drivers in the field for the week?

I'm not knocking the players, at all. They all play the same course.

thurley42

HY;FR
...that contradictory? Rocco couldn't find a fairway and he's in a playoff. Tiger and Lee both couldn't find the fairway on 18 t, and Tiger hits it to 15 feet from the 'graduated' rough. That's not US open to me.

Look at driving accuracy v. past opens. Rocco hit 65% of fairways for the week. Tiger was at 53%. The field was 58. The field. US open possibly to be won by one of the worst drivers in the field for the week?

I'm not knocking the players, at all. They all play the same course.

you have to admit, Tiger's 3rd shot on 18 was sick...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It...

you have to admit, Tiger's 3rd shot on 18 was sick...

...was a good good, solid shot to 12 feet from 100 yards with a SW out of intermediate rough. I couldn't do it, not with that pressure, but, you could see the ball and he was able to control it. For him, or anyone else out there, a good shot. Not a great one. A good one.

thurley42

HY;FR
...was a good good, solid shot to 12 feet from 100 yards with a SW out of intermediate rough. I couldn't do it, not with that pressure, but, you could see the ball and he was able to control it. For him, or anyone else out there, a good shot. Not a great one. A good one.

I tend to disagree...watching people continuously struggle with the rough this weekend I thought that his ability to put the shot on the top of that hill and spin it down towards the hole with that amount of pressure shows why he is the greatest golfer today.

But if he couldn't make that shot he wouldn't be Tiger....I say he wins by 5 strokes.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

I tend to disagree...watching people continuously struggle with the rough this weekend I thought that his ability to put the shot on the top of that hill and spin it down towards the hole with that amount of pressure shows why he is the greatest golfer today.

But if he couldn't make that shot he wouldn't be Tiger....I say he wins by 5 strokes.

...this is, obviously, pretty subjective. I just remember far too many players 5 and 10 feet off the fairway and being able to see the ball sitting up at least a bit and hitting fairly controlled shots. That's not my idea of US Open.

Rocco played Tiger even over 72 and he's gonna lose by 5 over 18? We'll see.
Absent three or four HUGE shots over the last couple of days, Tiger could have finished yesterday 5 back. Yes, he's great, but he's been living off a fair bit of luck this week. Should be a great match!

thurley42

HY;FR
...this is, obviously, pretty subjective. I just remember far too many players 5 and 10 feet off the fairway and being able to see the ball sitting up at least a bit and hitting fairly controlled shots. That's not my idea of US Open.

Rocco played Tiger even over 72 and he's gonna lose by 5 over 18? We'll see.
Absent three or four HUGE shots over the last couple of days, Tiger could have finished yesterday 5 back. Yes, he's great, but he's been living off a fair bit of luck this week. Should be a great match!

agreed...i think what it will come down to is that Tiger is used to being here...Rocco not so much. When Tiger hit that putt yesterday you could almost see him deflate. Can't wait for it to start!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah...

agreed...i think what it will come down to is that Tiger is used to being here...Rocco not so much. When Tiger hit that putt yesterday you could almost see him deflate. Can't wait for it to start!

...but Rocco is no kid; This is the biggest opportunity of his career. I think he'll handle it well. He knows if he just keeps up what he's been doing, solid golf, Tiger, with the knee and his driving woes, is going to have to come up with a Tiger moment or two to beat him. I like his chances. I love Tiger, but, man, he's fighting sooo much.