US Open

signora

Tiger is alot of fun to watch, I am glad he won:yahoo:

Tiger is good to watch and he amazes you with some of his strokes especially when under pressure. I too am glad he won, but you did have to feel bad for Rocco because he did compete well against him.

I thought it was cute too watching Tiger walk around w/his daughter after he won.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
That shot he made out of the bunker on, I think it was 16, amazing. I was rooting for Rocco though, the guy has been a grinder.

T

toppick08

That shot he made out of the bunker on, I think it was 16, amazing. I was rooting for Rocco though, the guy has been a grinder.

:yeahthat:

The media lustfest for Tiger is getting old.............

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It has...

:yeahthat:

The media lustfest for Tiger is getting old.............

...nothing to do with the media and everything to do with his performance on the course. The man just won his 14th major and did it in true sports hero fashion.

You must not golf. What he does is just an amazing display of concentration, focus and execution (no bob, not that kind of execution :lmao: ) over time and a great variety of circumstances.

Here's to Rocco for putting up a HELL of a fight and being a terrific credit to the game and old people!

signora

...nothing to do with the media and everything to do with his performance on the course. The man just won his 14th major and did it in true sports hero fashion.

You must not golf. What he does is just an amazing display of concentration, focus and execution (no bob, not that kind of execution :lmao: ) over time and a great variety of circumstances.

Here's to Rocco for putting up a HELL of a fight and being a terrific credit to the game and old people!

:yay: You could tell though at times Tiger was in pain w/his knee, but it didn't stop him.

You do have to give a lot of credit to Rocco because he did put up a good fight where you really didn't know who was going to win. But "old people" (Rocco is 45, I wouldn't call that OLD!!!) :eyebrow:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Face it, the media loves a winner - and that's what this guy has been doing, for years on end now.

He just passed Ben Hogan for number of wins in Major Golf Events - 14 - I think. That's pretty special, in anybody's book, don't you think? When you can claim anything near that accomplishment, feel free to crow about it. :lmao:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Got to correct something: Tiger Woods broke the tie with Ben Hogan with 65 career events won.

He apparently is the ONLY golfer to win the Four Majors at least 3 times, BESIDES Jack Nicklaus. He's definitely in some special company, no?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Face it, the media loves a winner - and that's what this guy has been doing, for years on end now.

He just passed Ben Hogan for number of wins in Major Golf Events - 14 - I think. That's pretty special, in anybody's book, don't you think? When you can claim anything near that accomplishment, feel free to crow about it. :lmao:
He went ahead of Hogan on PGA wins (65-Tiger/64-Hogan), he had been ahead of him on majors for awhile as Hogan had 9.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
He went ahead of Hogan on PGA wins (65-Tiger/64-Hogan), he had been ahead of him on majors for awhile as Hogan had 9.

Thanks Ken, we appeared to have posted at the same time, as I was correcting my inaccuracy.

You're right, Tiger Woods passed Ben Hogan 65 to 64 in career wins. :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Rocco...

:yay: You could tell though at times Tiger was in pain w/his knee, but it didn't stop him.

You do have to give a lot of credit to Rocco because he did put up a good fight where you really didn't know who was going to win. But "old people" (Rocco is 45, I wouldn't call that OLD!!!) :eyebrow:

...is three months older than me. That makes him paleolithic. :lmao:

What Tiger did will go down in sports lore. Imagine having to make a precise athletic move that you KNOW will hurt yet if you don't block that out and do it, it will destroy the swing. In a lot of sports, folks play through pain and injures but in most cases we're talking about a sport like football or basketball where the activity and adrenaline help you through it. It'll hurt when you stop, for sure, but the action of the game helps. Tiger had to set up and make a full move back and through that he knew would make his knee go owie. Golfers do it; Rocco has had a horrible back for years. Ernie has been fighting a knee for years. Phil has those marbles that rattle around every swing he makes. They just don't normally deal with it for 91 holes.

And win.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm

What Tiger did will go down in sports lore. Imagine having to make a precise athletic move that you KNOW will hurt yet if you don't block that out and do it, it will destroy the swing. In a lot of sports, folks play through pain and injures but in most cases we're talking about a sport like football or basketball where the activity and adrenaline help you through it. It'll hurt when you stop, for sure, but the action of the game helps. Tiger had to set up and make a full move back and through that he knew would make his knee go owie. Golfers do it; Rocco has had a horrible back for years. Ernie has been fighting a knee for years. Phil has those marbles that rattle around every swing he makes.

They just don't normally deal with it for 91 holes.

And win.

Can you say: Bottom Line? :buddies: Woods, when asked if he ever thought about calling it quits at anytime during the match, said: "No. that's just not in me. I have to give it all that I've got."

Last edited:

Rael

Supper's Ready
I didn't get to watch the sudden death part, but I watched the end of the playoff. Talk about intense pressure.

Hat's off to Rocco for playing how he did, and to Tiger for once again locking a big one in.

signora

What Tiger did will go down in sports lore. Imagine having to make a precise athletic move that you KNOW will hurt yet if you don't block that out and do it, it will destroy the swing. In a lot of sports, folks play through pain and injures but in most cases we're talking about a sport like football or basketball where the activity and adrenaline help you through it. It'll hurt when you stop, for sure, but the action of the game helps. Tiger had to set up and make a full move back and through that he knew would make his knee go owie. Golfers do it; Rocco has had a horrible back for years. Ernie has been fighting a knee for years. Phil has those marbles that rattle around every swing he makes. They just don't normally deal with it for 91 holes.

And win.

:lmao: Well, he's only 1 1/2 years older then me so I do not consider that age to be old now.

True. Tiger has accomplished so much at a young age and he has such a talent for the game. One time when I was in Vegas he was staying at the same hotel I was at. At the time the Baseball playoffs where on TV and I was checking out the game on one of the TV's outside the High Rollers club. I go to turn because somebody came up next to me to watch and I did a double take because it was Tiger standing next to me checking out the score. I wanted to ask for his autograph, but didn't want to bother him. Then later on that night he and his entourage came into the same restaurant we were at, but nobody in there went over to bother him either.

Last edited:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:lmao: Well, he's only 1 1/2 years older then me so I do not consider that age to be old now.

True. Tiger has accomplished so much at a young age and he has such a talent for the game. One time when I was in Vegas he was staying at the same hotel I was at. At the time the Baseball playoffs where on TV and I was checking out the game on one of the TV's outside the High Rollers club. I go to turn because somebody came up next to me to watch and I did a double take because it was Tiger standing next to me checking out the score. I wanted to ask for his autograph, but didn't want to bother him. Then later on that night he and his entourage came into the same restaurant we were at, but nobody in there went over to bother him either.

You should have gotten his autograph! Will you get the chance again?!? :lmao:

signora

You should have gotten his autograph! Will you get the chance again?!? :lmao:

I know I regret it now that I didn't ask and at that time I didn't have a camera phone to take his picture. But how he looks on TV (shy) was how he looked there so just felt he was trying to watch the game and didn't want to bother him. Did see Drew Carey though, he was hanging out at one of the nightclubs in the same hotel. So I got his autograph instead:lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
See...

: . I wanted to ask for his autograph, but didn't want to bother him. Then later on that night he and his entourage came into the same restaurant we were at, but nobody in there went over to bother him either.

...I applaud you for that. It seems to me far too many people feel entitled to a piece of celebrities. It just seems a lot more classy and civilized to simply enjoy having seen a star or celeb, check 'em out a little bit and let them be.

thurley42

HY;FR
...I applaud you for that. It seems to me far too many people feel entitled to a piece of celebrities. It just seems a lot more classy and civilized to simply enjoy having seen a star or celeb, check 'em out a little bit and let them be.

i agree...and on that note, i have to admit i was dead wrong about Rocco....I thought when Tiger went up by 3 that was all she wrote, but man...he just kept fighting. What a tremendous display of ability. Hats off to Rocco, I didn't think he would be able to handle the pressure...and he showed me that i know nothing.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's...

i agree...and on that note, i have to admit i was dead wrong about Rocco....I thought when Tiger went up by 3 that was all she wrote, but man...he just kept fighting. What a tremendous display of ability. Hats off to Rocco, I didn't think he would be able to handle the pressure...and he showed me that i know nothing.

...ridiculous. By all rights who SHOULD have collapsed. If we all 'knew' what was gonna happen, there'd be no point in competition, either to play or to watch.

How many majors does Rocco have? When was his last win? THAT'S why we play and that's why we watch; because of what might happen, not in spite of what should happen.

Tiger is amazing, but, he does NOT have the level of competitors that Jack faced and he does not have the level of success Jack has. Jack has more major wins than anyone and he has more 2nds than he does wins and he has more 3rds than 1's and 2's put together and he was top 10 73 times!!!

Tiger is only four back in major wins, but he's not even close in 2's and 3's. Tiger is either on or off. Jack was almost always in the hunt and almost always faced someone putting up a fight like Rocco did.

The sad fact, and also the beauty, is that the performance Rocco put up was the norm in Jack's era, someone always fighting their guts out, and is all too rare these days.

Tiger is a long, long way from being #1 all time in my book because he simply has not been there, having a chance anywhere near as much as Jack has and Tiger has had the competition just fold way, way to much.

Point is, we got to see a great match courtesy of Rocco and Tiger. Here's to many more!