Utah Concealed Carry Permit Class-King George 7/28

IggyPop

SMIB
Utah Concealed Carry Permit Class-La Plata 8/17/13

To anyone interested, there will be a Utah Concealed Permit class in La Plata, MD on Saturday, August 17, 2013 at 10:00am. Class will be held at the American Legion located at 6330 Crain Highway, LaPlata, MD 20646.

At the last class there were a bunch of fellow SOMD forum members. So, I figured I would post this again to anyone interested.

I have also included info below for those of you who might not be aware on the value of the Utah permit.

This permit is NOT valid in Maryland or DC. However, if you travel outside of Maryland (Virginia or Pennsylvania for example) this is a great permit to have. Take a look at the 35 states that accept this permit:

Reciprocity with Other States | Utah Department of Public Safety

Walk-in, no reservation required.
Cost: $50 Cash or Money Order only

ASTC-3 » Page 1 of 10

Any questions, please feel free to call 301/899-3079.

Who is Eligible?

*Minimum requirements for application for a concealed firearms permit in Utah are:

Applicant must be at least 21 years of age
Proof of good character...whereas the applicant;
has not been convicted of a felony;
has not been convicted of any crime of violence;
has not been convicted of any offense involving the use of alcohol;
has not been convicted of any offenses involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;
has not been convicted of any offenses involving moral turpitude;
has not been convicted of any offense involving domestic violence;
has not been adjudicated by a court of a state or of the United States as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed

*A criminal background check is conducted for all applicants.

UPDATE:

I should also mention that a class is being held in La Plata on August 17, 2013 at the American Legion (6330 Crain Highway, La Plata MD). This one is on a Saturday and start at 10am. Feel free to stop on by. No appointment necessary. This class is also $50 (cash or money order only).

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Is this legal when you live in MD, travel to other states and have a MD DL and Utah permit? :confused:

MadDogMarine

Is this legal when you live in MD, travel to other states and have a MD DL and Utah permit? :confused:

It is called reciprocity and perfectly legal. Just like Utah recognizes driver's licenses from Maryland and vice versa.
Typical of Maryland, won't extend the same courtesy to Utah concealed carry holders while many other states will and do. Utah made the decision to accept applicants from any state(with good character). Once acquired your Utah permit carries reciprocity with all states recognizing Utah's license.
Some still refuse to get fingerprinted,datalogged and databased just to exercise their 2nd amendment and carry anyway. To each their own.

I once got into an extended debate with one instructor about the legal necessity to inform traffic arresting police officer(all traffic stops are arrests!) that you are carrying.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It is called reciprocity and perfectly legal. Just like Utah recognizes driver's licenses from Maryland and vice versa.
Typical of Maryland, won't extend the same courtesy to Utah concealed carry holders while many other states will and do. Utah made the decision to accept applicants from any state(with good character). Once acquired your Utah permit carries reciprocity with all states recognizing Utah's license.
Some still refuse to get fingerprinted,datalogged and databased just to exercise their 2nd amendment and carry anyway. To each their own.

I once got into an extended debate with one instructor about the legal necessity to inform traffic arresting police officer(all traffic stops are arrests!) that you are carrying.

Thank you for explaining it.

IggyPop

SMIB

Excellent post!

I always try and share any class dates with fellow forum members, even though I am guilty of not participating on the forum as much as I should.

I have my Utah permit and I strongly believe it is better to get it now, rather than later. With the current political climate as a whole, I suggest anyone interested should act quickly. This company offers a great class at the absolute best price I have seen. I always try and give back to the instructor (for assisting me) and to the forum by passing along the info.

I should also mention that a class is being held in La Plata on August 17, 2013 at the American Legion (6330 Crain Highway, La Plata MD). This one is on a Saturday and start at 10am. Feel free to stop on by. No appointment necessary. This class is also $50 (cash or money order only).

DEEKAYPEE8569

Maryland lawmakers need to worry about getting OUR OWN CCW acquisition process straight; not out-of-state holders. :burning:

MadDogMarine

Maryland lawmakers need to worry about getting OUR OWN CCW acquisition process straight; not out-of-state holders. :burning:

I agree. Reciprocity is a legal principle recognized throughout the U.S. and all licenses should be so recognized. If you have a nursing license in MD, you can go to most any state and work as a Nurse etc,etc.
So Maryland is out of the loop big time when it comes to concealed carry.
My opinion why Maryland is this way? Maryland not only has a great history of freedom but a great history of criminal activity. From Spiro Agnew on down.
Criminals don't like their subjects armed! Same in Chicago and New York City.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

I agree. Reciprocity is a legal principle recognized throughout the U.S. and all licenses should be so recognized. If you have a nursing license in MD, you can go to most any state and work as a Nurse etc,etc.
So Maryland is out of the loop big time when it comes to concealed carry.
My opinion why Maryland is this way? Maryland not only has a great history of freedom but a great history of criminal activity. From Spiro Agnew on down.
Criminals don't like their subjects armed! Same in Chicago and New York City.

Yet anybody with a CCW from any other state in the U.S. can come to MD packin' and the Governor's office and the police say, "Suuure, no problem, come on over." But those of us born-n-raised here, "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"
"THIS STINKS!" "THIS IS TOTAL B.S.!" - Bob "Bulldog" Briscoe

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Unless you know for 100% what the local laws are where you've been stopped I would not divulge that information until it got to the point that I had to.

You could be within the city limits of DC or Philadelphia and not know it, and off to jail you go, with or without a permit from Utah.

MadDogMarine

Yet anybody with a CCW from any other state in the U.S. can come to MD packin' and the Governor's office and the police say, "Suuure, no problem, come on over." But those of us born-n-raised here, "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"
"THIS STINKS!" "THIS IS TOTAL B.S.!" - Bob "Bulldog" Briscoe

I think you missed the point. They cannot come to Maryland packing and if they do they are subject to immediate arrest. Maryland does NOT honor reciprocity for CCW from any state whatsoever.
My point was reciprocity laws say they should but Maryland refuses to do so.

Good link to learn more
Maryland Concealed Carry Permit Information

Midnightrider

I think you missed the point. They cannot come to Maryland packing and if they do they are subject to immediate arrest. Maryland does NOT honor reciprocity for CCW from any state whatsoever.

Good link to learn more

maryland has no reciprocity for CCW's :shrug:

states do not have to recognize each others laws or rules.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Good link to learn more

Yeah, okay, that's right. :whoosh:
Maryland has no reciprocity laws; and it makes it all but impossible for residents to get a permit. Just another reason to GTFOH.

MadDogMarine

maryland has no reciprocity for CCW's :shrug:

states do not have to recognize each others laws or rules.

Your observation is correct. State's for the MOST PART DO(?) HAVE TO recognize each others laws or rules. That is why Maryland is WRONG.
That is what reciprocity means. If you recognize our laws, we will recognize yours.

Virginia recognizes Maryland CCW IF you can get one.
LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308
"For purposes of applying the reciprocity provisions of § 18.2-308.014, any person granted the privilege to carry a concealed handgun pursuant to this subdivision, while carrying the proof of consultation and favorable review required, shall be deemed to have been issued a concealed handgun permit;

This is, I feel, the best point to contact your legislatures on. Once reciprocity is granted in MD they will have an extremely difficult time with people and CCW restrictions as now regulated.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Your observation is correct. State's for the MOST PART DO(?) HAVE TO recognize each others laws or rules. That is why Maryland is WRONG.
That is what reciprocity means. If you recognize our laws, we will recognize yours.

"For purposes of applying the reciprocity provisions of § 18.2-308.014, any person granted the privilege to carry a concealed handgun pursuant to this subdivision, while carrying the proof of consultation and favorable review required, shall be deemed to have been issued a concealed handgun permit;

This is, I feel, the best point to contact your legislatures on. Once reciprocity is granted in MD they will have an extremely difficult time with people and CCW restrictions as now regulated.

Well, no other state has to worry about reciprocity with MD permit holders; WE can't get one.....da**it!

MadDogMarine

Unless you know for 100% what the local laws are where you've been stopped I would not divulge that information until it got to the point that I had to.

You could be within the city limits of DC or Philadelphia and not know it, and off to jail you go, with or without a permit from Utah.

OR within a 1000 yards of a public school hidden in the woods near where you were stopped. Most peoples' downfall comes from their own mouth!

Midnightrider

nope, you are wrong, states are under no obligation to recognize each others laws or rules, or to have any reciprocity

MadDogMarine

nope, you are wrong, states are under no obligation to recognize each others laws or rules, or to have any reciprocity

That is why I placed the question mark in my response. Unless a state arrogantly says NO!
I wished all the other states stopped reciprocity on Maryland Driver's Licenses and ALL other licenses until this issue was corrected.

Midnightrider

That is why I placed the question mark in my response. Unless a state arrogantly says NO!I wished all the other states stopped reciprocity on Maryland Driver's Licenses and ALL other licenses until this issue was corrected.

a state has to go out of its way to say yes, not the other way around.