VA tech

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Its a little early for someone to have finals freakout isn't it? I wonder if the gunman was a student or faculty or had no association with the school.

My heart goes out to those that have lost a loved one today. I only hope they find out the insane reasoning behind the shootings.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
bresamil said:
Its a little early for someone to have finals freakout isn't it? I wonder if the gunman was a student or faculty or had no association with the school.

My heart goes out to those that have lost a loved one today. I only hope they find out the insane reasoning behind the shootings.

Columbine. Almost to the day.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
They are saying that the number of fatalities is "ballpark". Not sure whether gunman shot himself or not. Majority of the fatalities were shot in the classroom - Science & Engineering Building.

There were multiple bomb threats on the campus last week. They're not sure if there is a relation between the threats and today's events.

Qurious

Im On 1.
Y do the police never respond fast enough in school shootings??

There has to be a tragedy like this in order for future precautions to take place. :(

Mikeinsmd

Qurious said:

There has to be a tragedy like this in order for future precautions to take place. :(
With the right weapon, these 40 people could have been shot in under a minute. :duh:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Qurious said:

How many cops would be needed to respond any faster without having them pre-staged at the school? Do you expect law enforcement to be able to stop something like this from happening again?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Oh well...

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.
Jan. 31, 2007

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

I'm sure this is going to rub alot of people the wrong way, but, a disarmed society is a victim society. People WILL do evil things and WILL break laws. It's only worse when we won't allow ourselves the right to protect ourselves.

Qurious

Im On 1.
Ken King said:
How many cops would be needed to respond any faster without having them pre-staged at the school? Do you expect law enforcement to be able to stop something like this from happening again?

Yes I do. I beleive strongly in police presence at all schools including colleges.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We took precautions...

Qurious said:

...over 200 years ago; the right to keep and bare arms. When will we go back in time to common sense?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Qurious said:
Yes I do. I beleive strongly in police presence at all schools including colleges.
Really? And how many more officers would that require, where you going to find them, and how are you going to pay for them?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not their job...

Ken King said:

...not their place. They are their to clean up messes and arrest people.

Now, a couple of gun nuts on campus might have come in handy.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Qurious said:
Unfortunately, when someone is determined to do something like this, step one in their plan is to take out anyone that may stop them, ie resident law enforcement.