Varmint Rifle

J and M

Want to buy my husband a varmint rifle for xmas. Have any suggestions on caliber/brand?

He will be shooting groundhogs, skunks, and the occassional racoon.

rack'm

Jaded
Want to buy my husband a varmint rifle for xmas. Have any suggestions on caliber/brand?

22 hornet or the Rugar 77/17

Skunks and raccoons should NOT be shot unless you're going to use their pelts. :smack::smack:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What's...

...your budget and is he a 'gun' guy or will he be happy with pretty much anything you get him?

Magnum

Should be Huntin
...worth shooting... :lmao:

I still need to break it in, I've only fired 10 rounds so far. Have to break it down between every shot and clean it for the first 25 rounds, then breakdown and clean every 10 shots.

We typically just use a .22 LR HP for ground hogs. Cheap ammo and accurate. 22 hornet and Magnums get expensive if you have a lot to kill

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I love my 22 magnum :getdown:

50 shots, 50 kills :shrug: That's not too bad. :lmao:

A few years back I bought a Magnum.... I gave it away. Maybe it was just my gun but that bullet had a 6"swing in 75 yards. When sighted in at 50 I was 6" high at 25 then 6" high again at 75.

rack'm

Jaded
A few years back I bought a Magnum.... I gave it away. Maybe it was just my gun but that bullet had a 6"swing in 75 yards. When sighted in at 50 I was 6" high at 25 then 6" high again at 75.

Well, either your gun was a POS or mine is exceptional. :lmao:

at 50 yards, I can shoot through the same hole, over and over again and at 100 yards I can keep everything under a quarter. :shrug:

I use mine to squirrel hunt and I only aim for the head, if that tells you it's accuracy. :yay:

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

at 50 yards, I can shoot through the same hole, over and over again and at 100 yards I can keep everything under a quarter. :shrug:

I use mine to squirrel hunt and I only aim for the head, if that tells you it's accuracy. :yay:
Does PETCO security still stop you at the door?

Magnum

Should be Huntin

I think my gun was a POS.

So far with my .308 I have only shot it 65 yds. At this distance I can almost put the bullet in it's own hole, just a fraction off here or there. My Dad shot it after I had it sighted in, he shoots left handed, he blew out the X on the target in one shot. I guess it all goes in the saying you get what you pay for. Expensive gun+expensive ammo= bound to hit something :lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yup...

...a decent .22 lr misses under 100 yards, it's pilot error.

rack'm

Jaded
I think my gun was a POS.

So far with my .308 I have only shot it 65 yds. At this distance I can almost put the bullet in it's own hole, just a fraction off here or there. My Dad shot it after I had it sighted in, he shoots left handed, he blew out the X on the target in one shot. I guess it all goes in the saying you get what you pay for. Expensive gun+expensive ammo= bound to hit something :lmao:

308's are nice toys. :yay:

I only paid $130 for my Marlin 22 magnum, from Walmart of all places. :lmao:

A buddy of mine has an H&R 308, it's a breakdown sniper rifle, 0 resight after putting it all back together :drool: $2500 for that toy. :yay:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
308's are nice toys. :yay:

I only paid $130 for my Marlin 22 magnum, from Walmart of all places. :lmao:

A buddy of mine has an H&R 308, it's a breakdown sniper rifle, 0 resight after putting it all back together :drool: $2500 for that toy. :yay:

Dang it thats the same 22 Mag I bought. Bolt Action and I think a 7 round mag. Maybe someone dropped mine.

I spent way more on my 308 than I wanted. It wound up costing $1,800, then I had to go spend another $100 on a better case. Now I need to go buy a case of match grade ammo for it.

rack'm

Jaded
Dang it thats the same 22 Mag I bought. Bolt Action and I think a 7 round mag. Maybe someone dropped mine.

I spent way more on my 308 than I wanted. It wound up costing $1,800, then I had to go spend another $100 on a better case. Now I need to go buy a case of match grade ammo for it.

I'd guess that my barrel was cut close to the XXX mark and yours was produced at the end of the dies (sp) life. :shrug:

Does yours have the fluted chamber?

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I'd guess that my barrel was cut close to the XXX mark and yours was produced at the end of the dies (sp) life. :shrug:

Does yours have the fluted chamber?

Not sure. I shot maybe 100 rounds got ticked off and gave it away to my cousin. He can't hit anything with it either. You know I am starting to wonder if it was something wrong with the scope :shrug: