Varmint Rifle

Bigpops92

For What It's Worth

If I had to do it all over again.....one gun!
Get a Thompson Center Pro Hunter. The beauty of this gun is that you can change barrells in minutes.
I own the Encore with a 50 cal muzzleloader barrell and a 22-250. The 22-250 is an awesome round and will do the job.
PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Want to buy my husband a varmint rifle for xmas. Have any suggestions on caliber/brand?

He will be shooting groundhogs, skunks, and the occassional racoon.

rack'm

Jaded
Not sure. I shot maybe 100 rounds got ticked off and gave it away to my cousin. He can't hit anything with it either. You know I am starting to wonder if it was something wrong with the scope :shrug:

:smack: That should of been the first thing you checked. :lmao:

J and M

...your budget and is he a 'gun' guy or will he be happy with pretty much anything you get him?

My budget is 500 or under and he is a gun guy. I know that "gun guy" and "buget" don't go together, especially considering what I have paid for some of my own guns :whistle:...but it won't be his only present, so he'll have to make do.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Then...

My budget is 500 or under and he is a gun guy. I know that "gun guy" and "buget" don't go together, especially considering what I have paid for some of my own guns :whistle:...but it won't be his only present, so he'll have to make do.

...I would, frankly, ask him what he wants. What caliber? Semi auto? Bolt? What kind of scope? Will it be heavy use, get thrown in the truck, on a 4 wheeler? Or does he like a finer looking weapon? You will have trouble getting something nice under $500.

Ask him! :buddies:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Savage makes a really nice affordable rifle and I can't believe no one has suggested .223 yet, yeah it has got somewhat expensive but it is still a better deal than 22-250 and can be found everywhere.

Rifle and decent scope for under $500 is going to be tough. A good varmint rifle needs a good scope on it as well.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's because...

Savage makes a really nice affordable rifle and I can't believe no one has suggested .223 yet, yeah it has got somewhat expensive but it is still a better deal than 22-250 and can be found everywhere.

Rifle and decent scope for under $500 is going to be tough. A good varmint rifle needs a good scope on it as well.

...she said she needed a nice, soft, warm and fuzzy varmit gun, not an ASSAULT WEAPNON!!! :jameo:

:lmao:

JustynSayneBand

.17HRM is a good varmint round too.

yeah buddy, I got that Taurus Tracker revolver in .17 HMR, but, the dude better worth it for what I paid for this "tree rat tacker", however, I did fully explain to my wife that "I have always wanted one" and I also "needed" it! LOL

It's a hella' gun to shoot though and a ton o' fun.

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..
.223 or .204 ruger is a good bet.... that round comes in cheaper forms with the likes of the savage.... Plus, It can take a beating.
I also use an SKS. Its smooth shooting and dead acurate on the sights at 150 yards.

Short Range - .22 (small varmit) or .22 magnum (22 wmr)

longer range - .17 cal - .22 hornet - 22-250 - .223

Most of my buds use .223 for ground hogs - I use a light load .243 - my father-in-law uses a .17 cal (that thing is wicked and can drive tacks with it at +150 yards)