Verizon DSL

Steve

Enjoying life!
In St. Mary's, we have one cable provider, GMP Express. They've upgraded quite a bit in the last two years, up-from-nothing in fact, since the previous companies over the years have been bottom of the barrel.

Now I'm getting 4mb/sec down and about 3-4kbs up. This is expanding to 6mb/sec in Jan/Feb.

Cost: $39.95 per month, but you have to have a GMP cable line installed. Not TV, just the line.

I can get a 4 meg MP3 in about 15 seconds, or a standard length video in just over 2 minutes.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Steve said:
In St. Mary's, we have one cable provider, GMP Express. They've upgraded quite a bit in the last two years, up-from-nothing in fact, since the previous companies over the years have been bottom of the barrel.

Now I'm getting 4mb/sec down and about 3-4kbs up. This is expanding to 6mb/sec in Jan/Feb.

Cost: $39.95 per month, but you have to have a GMP cable line installed. Not TV, just the line.

I can get a 4 meg MP3 in about 15 seconds, or a standard length video in just over 2 minutes.

They are up'ing us to 6 megs down this month.

Steve

Enjoying life!
FromTexas said:
They are up'ing us to 6 megs down this month.

They installed a new hub in the ground at our house about three weeks ago, so I'm right behind you. ;)

I keep waiting for the price to increase. It's coming...

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Steve said:
They installed a new hub in the ground at our house about three weeks ago, so I'm right behind you. ;)

I keep waiting for the price to increase. It's coming...

I don't think it will for the $39.99 folks. They are trying to keep up with the other companies. Costs for increasing bandwidth have been dropping pretty steady for networks.

I don't have my 6 megs yet. I think they have been doing work on it in the area. Everytime they have up'ed our d/l speed, I have been getting quite a few cable modem down times the month before, and it started up recently again. They did say it would be January in their newsletter.

Steve

Enjoying life!
FromTexas said:
I don't think it will for the $39.99 folks. They are trying to keep up with the other companies. Costs for increasing bandwidth have been dropping pretty steady for networks.

I don't have my 6 megs yet. I think they have been doing work on it in the area. Everytime they have up'ed our d/l speed, I have been getting quite a few cable modem down times the month before, and it started up recently again. They did say it would be January in their newsletter.

Yup, same here. We were down most of the day while they installed the junction box. But only here at the house. I guess the terminus keeps moving deeper into the neighborhood. But...I can finally be happy with GMP after years of poor service with Western Digital and whatever else they were called. It's nice to finally see bandwidth that is greater than the regional heavy-hitters.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Steve said:
Yup, same here. We were down most of the day while they installed the junction box. But only here at the house. I guess the terminus keeps moving deeper into the neighborhood. But...I can finally be happy with GMP after years of poor service with Western Digital and whatever else they were called. It's nice to finally see bandwidth that is greater than the regional heavy-hitters.

I haven't had much in the way of issues since I moved here, but that was as GMP was wrapping up and getting bought. The only real complaint I had was the same as other cable companies... when they are scheduled to be there you often don't see them till much later (i.e. 12-4 and they show at 5).

Steve

Enjoying life!
FromTexas said:
I haven't had much in the way of issues since I moved here, but that was as GMP was wrapping up and getting bought. The only real complaint I had was the same as other cable companies... when they are scheduled to be there you often don't see them till much later (i.e. 12-4 and they show at 5).

We have DTV for the TV now. GMP is only for Internet. I blamed them a lot for losing signals until I found a frayed cable line to my modem box. Fixed that and things have been golden since. Now GMP seems to be at the forefront when just over a year ago Comcast was the best. I can't complain anymore.