Viral video advises washing fruit and vegetables with soap...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
: Here's why that's a bad idea

In the video, VanWingen suggests pre-soaking produce in soapy water and then washing it with soap for 20 seconds. But doing this could lead to health problems, such as mild gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. That's because produce is porous, so it can absorb soap, Chapman said.

"Consumers should not wash fruits and vegetables with detergent or soap," according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). "These products are not approved or labeled by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use on foods. You could ingest residues from soap or detergent absorbed on the produce."

If they eat the tide pod first, won't it wash it on the inside?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If they eat the tide pod first, won't it wash it on the inside?

:roflmao:

I'm seeing a bunch of memes imploring everyone to wash their produce. I had no idea people didn't already do this.

In fact, I'm getting a refresher course on how grubby my fellow humans are. They don't even know how to wash their hands, or that they should wash their hands.

GregV814

Ive been washing my edibles in Pepto Bismol for two weeks now. The raisins are neat to look at.

black dog

Free America
Can I still soak them in Everclear?

I learned a lifes lesson 20 years ago with fruit in the moonshine.
Dont ever go to Potomac Speedway with the Oliver Clan and sit in the nosebleed Oliver boys seating and consume the peaches and apples in the bottom of the moonshine jars.. You will end up leaving your truck in the parking lot and your wife will have to pick you up.

gemma_rae

I learned a lifes lesson 20 years ago with fruit in the moonshine.
Dont ever go to Potomac Speedway with the Oliver Clan and sit in the nosebleed Oliver boys seating and consume the peaches and apples in the bottom of the moonshine jars.. You will end up heaving by your truck in the parking lot.
On the bright side, I didn't get a bunch of sand in my hair.

black dog

Free America
you were there?? black dog just tried to.. i'll leave that alone

LOL.. You were there.... I was afraid i was going to fall between the bleacher seats and land 15' on all the trash under them and get Beech-Nut spit on me until someone rescued me....

buddscreek

LOL.. You were there.... I was afraid i was going to fall between the bleacher seats and land 15' on all the trash under them and get Beech-Nut spit on me until someone rescued me....
want anymore Dr Bean's juice? it wont cure the corona, but it can make you wish you were dead.
you had a real cheesie grin on your face and multiple shades of red.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
When I lived in Italy in the dark ages (1967-1972) the military instructed us to wash fresh vegs and fruit in a 5 parts water to 1 part bleach. (or some concoction. And you rinse in reg water after that) People have lost track of how to do the most simple of things, to be honest.

We also used bleach in the water for disinfecting camping dishes when I was a GS and as a leader. We washed in hot soapy water and then camp dishes went into a drawstring "dunk bag", were dunked in the bleach water (a minute or something), and then in the rinse water (same). Hung them up on a line to dry.

No germies, no stomach aches, no food poisoning. :yay:

SamSpade

:roflmao:

I'm seeing a bunch of memes imploring everyone to wash their produce. I had no idea people didn't already do this.

In fact, I'm getting a refresher course on how grubby my fellow humans are. They don't even know how to wash their hands, or that they should wash their hands.

I think all I ever do is rinse them. Except maybe onions. I don't WASH them.

Funny story : You ever hear about the idea we actually DO live in a Matrix? A virtual world? When I am at work - at headquarters - or really, most bathrooms - they have these sinks where you stick your hand under the sink and wait for the water to start.

Well the damned thing won't start. I stand there, waving frantically, holding patiently. I feel like I'm a ghost. The next guy in the bathroom goes to the faucet next to me - swish - out comes the water. Grabs a paper towel, wipes and leaves. Aggrieved I give this look - and think, fine, I'll use THAT one. Same damned thing. Someone comes up to the sink I was just at - swish - wipe - leave. SCREW IT, I'll wash in the kitchen - at least, THAT spigot has handles. And I wonder - AM I in the Matrix? Is the programming just defective?