Volunteering with the community at large!

TommyC

First a little background info on myself, I'm Tommy Crowder, I have been a member of the Second District VFDRS since 1986, while their I held numerous positions including the position of Chief. I stepped down as Chief prior to leaving to serve my prison sentence for over harvesting stripped bass. I am currently still a member of the SDVFDRS, and have decided to come off my leave of absense to help the community again, but..... a few people have voiced their concerns about me having a Felony on my record and what the community would think about me being a active member of the Fire Department. The department has no policy on this matter, nor is their any State law prohibiting me from being a member. So I'm here to ask you, all of you, because its not the people in the Fire Department i would be serving but YOU, the community at large! The Fire Department did take a vote of confidence on me after i signed a plea agreement for my wrong doing, only 3 people voted against me staying as their Chief until I was to leave for my prison term. I continued to serve you as Cheif , so now I ask you...... what do you think?

Last edited:

PrepH4U

First a little background info on myself, I'm Tommy Crowder, I have been a member of the Second District VFDRS since 1986, while their I held numerous positions including the position of Chief. I stepped down as Chief prior to leaving to serve my prison sentence for over harvesting stripped bass. I am currently still a member of the SDVFDRS, and have decided to come off my leave of absense to help the community again, but..... a few people have voiced their concerns about me having a Felony on my record and what the community would think about me being a active member of the Fire Department. The department has policy on this matter, nor is their any State law prohibiting me from being a member. So I'm here to ask you, all of you, because its not the people in the Fire Department i would be serving but YOU, the community at large! The Fire Department did take a vote of confidence on me after i signed a plea agreement for my wrong doing, only 3 people voted against me staying as their Chief until I was to leave for my prison term. I continued to serve you as Cheif , so now I ask you...... what do you think?

Thank you for the community service that you continue to volunteer for.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I think you should create a poll. (click edit your original post, scroll down below the text block and "add a poll" and follow instructions)

:shrug:

I don't have a problem with you being a member of the VFD, but I don't know if you are the right face for Chief. :shrug:

I know it's not like you are a murderer or anything, but since you were convicted of breaking laws, that's not exactly what the public image should be for the Fire Chief.

However, I don't personally live in Valley Lee.

That's my two cents.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
First a little background info on myself, I'm Tommy Crowder, I have been a member of the Second District VFDRS since 1986, while their I held numerous positions including the position of Chief. I stepped down as Chief prior to leaving to serve my prison sentence for over harvesting stripped bass. I am currently still a member of the SDVFDRS, and have decided to come off my leave of absense to help the community again, but..... a few people have voiced their concerns about me having a Felony on my record and what the community would think about me being a active member of the Fire Department. The department has policy on this matter, nor is their any State law prohibiting me from being a member. So I'm here to ask you, all of you, because its not the people in the Fire Department i would be serving but YOU, the community at large! The Fire Department did take a vote of confidence on me after i signed a plea agreement for my wrong doing, only 3 people voted against me staying as their Chief until I was to leave for my prison term. I continued to serve you as Cheif , so now I ask you...... what do you think?

You won't be in charge of proof reading anything will you? What is a stripped bass anyway?

Candle Lover

First a little background info on myself, I'm Tommy Crowder, I have been a member of the Second District VFDRS since 1986, while their I held numerous positions including the position of Chief. I stepped down as Chief prior to leaving to serve my prison sentence for over harvesting stripped bass. I am currently still a member of the SDVFDRS, and have decided to come off my leave of absense to help the community again, but..... a few people have voiced their concerns about me having a Felony on my record and what the community would think about me being a active member of the Fire Department. The department has no policy on this matter, nor is their any State law prohibiting me from being a member. So I'm here to ask you, all of you, because its not the people in the Fire Department i would be serving but YOU, the community at large! The Fire Department did take a vote of confidence on me after i signed a plea agreement for my wrong doing, only 3 people voted against me staying as their Chief until I was to leave for my prison term. I continued to serve you as Cheif , so now I ask you...... what do you think?

Mr. Crowder, I am not from the Valley Lee area, but I would like to applaud you and thank you for serving our community since 1986. To dedicate 24 years as a volunteer fire fighter is commendable. I have been to various fundraisers in Valley Lee and was impressed with the hard work and dedication its members exhibit.

Volunteers are not easy to find. It requires a lot of dedication and an understanding family. I would encourage you to continue serving our community and for people to welcome you back with open arms.

Even though I do not live in your district, you still voluntarily serve me as well as my family and friends. Remember, our volunteer firefighters are often there when an accident occurs in that area or when another fire department needs assistance, Valley Lee may be called upon.

I am sorry that you used poor judgement, but you have served your sentence and learned a hard lesson.

Thank you for serving and wanting to continue to serve us.

xobxdoc

Why would you care what these people think? This forum is hardly a representation of the community you serve. You can tell by some of the responses already to a serious subject like this, you are talking to a lot of mindless idiots.
If you were a paid firefighter there would probably be an issue but you volunteer, your membership voted you in as chief, just move on. I would be concerned about having the respect of the members you serve with and it appears you do. I don't condone what you did but you sound like you are genuinely remorseful. Thanks for serving your community. Don't eff up again.

Last edited:

RPMDAD

Sir, i salute you for service to the community, i am sorry about the mistake you made. I am behind you 100% to returning to the FD and continuing your service to the community.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sir, i salute you for service to the community, i am sorry about the mistake you made. I am behind you 100% to returning to the FD and continuing your service to the community.

Mistake? Read this article and then see if you would call it a mistake.

This certainly was no mistake and showed a long pattern of deception and illegal conduct. I think that Mr. Crowder shouldn't even be allowed to be a member of the VFD, much less a chief.

RPMDAD

This certainly was no mistake and showed a long pattern of deception and illegal conduct. I think that Mr. Crowder shouldn't even be allowed to be a member of the VFD, much less a chief.

Ken i agree it was not a mistake and he knew what he was doing, was caught and paid his dues. He has also paid a lot of dues to our community with his many years of VFD service, and if after paying his dues to the authorities wants to continue assisting his community and his VFD is willing for his assistance , i see no problem with that.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Why would you care what these people think? This forum is hardly a representation of the community you serve. You can tell by some of the responses already to a serious subject like this, you are talking to a lot of mindless idiots.
If you were a paid firefighter there would probably be an issue but you volunteer, your membership voted you in as chief, just move on. I would be concerned about having the respect of the members you serve with and it appears you do. I don't condone what you did but you sound like you are genuinely remorseful. Thanks for serving your community. Don't eff up again.
Are you $hitting me? :faint:
You're a mindless idiot alright. :killingme

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Got to disagree with you on this one Ken. Once you've done your time the slate is supposed to be wiped clean, you're allowed to resume your life after that.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Got to disagree with you on this one Ken. Once you've done your time the slate is supposed to be wiped clean, you're allowed to resume your life after that.
I have no problem with your disagreement. But I would like to ask if you would be okay with convicted sex offendors being allowed to be members too after they have served their time?

R

remaxrealtor

I have no problem with your disagreement. But I would like to ask if you would be okay with convicted sex offendors being allowed to be members too after they have served their time?

Isn't serving in a volunteer capacity, in a way, a further extension of repayment to the community? Just a thought...

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Short answer, yes. Pretty much anyone short of an arsonist.