Volunteering with the community at large!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
AND since I'm watching FOOTBALL...

If felon can play football and make millions..

Why can't one volunteer and make nothing??

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
By the way you worded your post, I receive the impression that you feel there is an underlying mistrust held by the members - even the ones that wouldn't mind having you back as the chief.

Start at the bottom of the food chain and earn their trust again.

Otherwise, find a soup kitchen to volunteer your time towards and make sure they're following the fire codes.

NTNG

By the way you worded your post, I receive the impression that you feel there is an underlying mistrust held by the members - even the ones that wouldn't mind having you back as the chief.

Start at the bottom of the food chain and earn their trust again.

Otherwise, find a soup kitchen to volunteer your time towards and make sure they're following the fire codes.

Cheeky nailed it.....
Heres an idea: Since you want to resume your participation at the SDVFDRS, start by enrolling and completing the EMT-B course. Yup, thats right, become an EMS member. They need your help a lot more that the FD does, and besides, since you publicly voiced your loathing of all things EMS in your past life as Chief, by becoming an EMT-B, you'll show you truely want to become a member again, and your joining is not just a political move on your part. Otherwise, refer to sentance number three of Cheeky's post...

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Cheeky nailed it.....
Heres an idea: Since you want to resume your participation at the SDVFDRS, start by enrolling and completing the EMT-B course. Yup, thats right, become an EMS member. They need your help a lot more that the FD does, and besides, since you publicly voiced your loathing of all things EMS in your past life as Chief, by becoming an EMT-B, you'll show you truely want to become a member again, and your joining is not just a political move on your part. Otherwise, refer to sentance number three of Cheeky's post...
I fail to see why his performing a job that he's not yet trained for is preferable to performing one in which he is?

TurboK9

I fail to see why his performing a job that he's not yet trained for is preferable to performing one in which he is?

Simply because of the fact that not only does the EMS side make way more calls, but they also tend to be way short handed. Even an untrained aide is a blessing to EMS.

wineo

loving life
As a past member and a person who resides in the Valley Lee area, I applaud you to come out and ask the community their view of this. It is getting harder and harder for FD/RS to get new volunteers and the community out to sponser their functions and donate to them as well.

I feel that you have done your time and should be treated equal to all offices and positions in the FD. You have a done a great job and served your community well. Keep doing what makes you feel good, by helping others. If only more people would get out and help, this county just might be a better place to live.

FireBoyz6

to all of the negativity

So let me start by saying im totally against this enternet B.S on forums and what not but right now thats beside the point. Let me start with this...all you people making the rude remarks like "oh im sure not letting you around my fish tank" or "its about respect MORON" well let me ask you this, you havent dont anything in your life you dont regret? really? ITS FISH!!!!! OK you dont even know the facts first of all you know what the media has told you which im here to tell you isnt the hole story. There fish they have tails they can be there one day and gone the next. Next question, a felony is no different the a so called "normal" convicted member of society (as to burglary assault ect..) the only difference is he broke a fish and game law which someone went to a council and decided to say look this is going to be a FEDERAL law were in comes the title FELONY. Do you know how many members of fire departments have crimes on there records from bar fights to arguments with wifes or husbands who may or may not have went to far? no i dont see any of you trash talking them no why because they didnt get on your little forum and talk about whether or not they should still be a member? if your so into the media you would know this incident happened a long time ago and went threw series of trials and not once did you get on your forum and trash talk him then did you? no. the man made a MISTAKE!! and got on here asking the opinion of the community he serves and loves and you have the Audacity to to say because he made a mistake he cant be the chief? why cant he? the president was convicted back in the day for doin cocaine at least thats what the media says so make a forum about that. You see one bad thing someones done and overlook ALL the good things he's done. Lets give you one, i know tommy personally have for a long time i was messing up in school you know who took time away wife and kids to not only help me with my homework every night but about 3 other young kids in the fire house just so we wouldnt get in any unnessary problems in school. And what it really comes down to is if your house in on fire or you or one of your loved one has been in a car accident do you really care if the man that can potentially save your life has taken fish? really? think about that one

sincerly
the boys from valley lee

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
So let me start by saying im totally against this enternet B.S on forums and what not but right now thats beside the point. Let me start with this...all you people making the rude remarks like "oh im sure not letting you around my fish tank" or "its about respect MORON" well let me ask you this, you havent dont anything in your life you dont regret? really? ITS FISH!!!!! OK you dont even know the facts first of all you know what the media has told you which im here to tell you isnt the hole story. There fish they have tails they can be there one day and gone the next. Next question, a felony is no different the a so called "normal" convicted member of society (as to burglary assault ect..) the only difference is he broke a fish and game law which someone went to a council and decided to say look this is going to be a FEDERAL law were in comes the title FELONY. Do you know how many members of fire departments have crimes on there records from bar fights to arguments with wifes or husbands who may or may not have went to far? no i dont see any of you trash talking them no why because they didnt get on your little forum and talk about whether or not they should still be a member? if your so into the media you would know this incident happened a long time ago and went threw series of trials and not once did you get on your forum and trash talk him then did you? no. the man made a MISTAKE!! and got on here asking the opinion of the community he serves and loves and you have the Audacity to to say because he made a mistake he cant be the chief? why cant he? the president was convicted back in the day for doin cocaine at least thats what the media says so make a forum about that. You see one bad thing someones done and overlook ALL the good things he's done. Lets give you one, i know tommy personally have for a long time i was messing up in school you know who took time away wife and kids to not only help me with my homework every night but about 3 other young kids in the fire house just so we wouldnt get in any unnessary problems in school. And what it really comes down to is if your house in on fire or you or one of your loved one has been in a car accident do you really care if the man that can potentially save your life has taken fish? really? think about that one

sincerly
the boys from valley lee

:gossip: I think you should turn your sarcasmo-meter on. I made that comment (about the fish tank) in jest, to highlight that I thought it was silly. And the "its about respect moron" comment is someone's "signature line" which appears at the end of every post they make..its not a comment on the topic. most people are on your side...if you reread the comments and comprehend them. :buddies:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

sincerly
the boys from valley lee
:whistle: http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/177770-3-locals-going-federal-prison.html actually a pretty long discussion about it.

CobbWeb

You should refrain from posting

sincerly
the boys from valley lee

If you are going to represent the boys from Valley Lee at least get someone to help with your English, grammar and spelling, it is these types of ramblings that make firefighters look stupid and uneducated. I hope you are still in school and remain there.
This is really a matter of department policy and what the department is willing to accept. Yes there are other departments with members who have various types of records. The department will be the one that is ultimately held responsible and will have to answer to the public. With that being said, I hope they let Tommy back in. I too know him very well, but the fact of the matter is he violated the publics trust by violating the fish laws. The public had trusted him to abide by the laws and requirements to report his catches and follow the harvest guidelines; he did not for what ever reason. This fact gives me doubt about whether he should be allowed to hold an office, part of being Chief is managing an operational budget, which for your dept. is probably close to a million dollars, he would also be required to keep and make reports and documentation. He has been convicted of creating false documents and not keeping accurate records. Is the department willing to take the chance that he will keep accurate reports and keep a watchful eye of the spending of thousands of dollars of public funds??
Everyone keeps saying "it was just fish", yes it was but it was approx. a million dollars worth of fish, maybe the bank robbers should start saying "it was just paper and ink". It was not a mistake; it went on for several years.
With all this being said I hope the department allows him back in, he will need to earn their trust and the publics’ trust again and my personal felling is he should not be allowed to hold an office.

TurboK9

sincerly
the boys from valley lee

For starters, he is far from the only volunteer FF on this board.

Really don't give a crap whether you know him personally or not, I believe in my post, I stated I was cool with him continuing to serve. I believe several others did as well. So are you biatching at us too? WTF.

For the sake of argument, do the dept's bylaws ALLOW him to serve given he's now a felon? Most of the time, they just say 'convicted of a felony' is a disqualification... It's a wee complicated if you start exempting this charge and not that one. So this whole 'debate' might be moot anyway.

Thanks for your service, but you can take your attitude and go suck an egg. You aren't the only one here that does it, and some of us have done more....

:gossip: Veterans day was yesterday :patriot:

Attachments

• team1.jpg
    team1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited: