Voting without ID

black dog

Free America
I kinda agree with this, although I am unsure about voter fraud and how much is real and how much is ramped up.

I think a lot of depends on how much voting means to you and how organized you are. I know a lot of people in Baltimore city that just don't drive - they have bus transportation/cabs all over creation - I can imagine the same scenario in other large cities. So that's one form of identification that they may not possess. If you're not an organized person - it's easy to misplace a birth certificate and it can cost anywhere from $25.00 to $85.00 to replace. And if you need a divorce decree if the name is different from birth to marriage there's another $25.00 to $85.00. If you're older and let your license expire does it still count as an ID? How do you get to DMV if you're in a rural area and have no means of transportation other than family? Does your family like you enough to take the time out to take you to DMV? Do you still know where your social security card is - I sure as hell don't.

Maryland is ridiculous when it comes to drivers license renewal - are other states the same I wonder.

I'm not saying that showing an ID is a bad idea - I'm just saying you really got to care about voting and make sure your ducks are in a row as much as several months out sometimes.

Thats such lazy bullsh!t. Its all bullsh!t,,, Folks that want a DL or a State issued ID dont have any problems getting one. The poor and elderly just dont vote in worthy numbers.

black dog

Free America
I show mine every time I go to vote.
They act like you've burned their retinas by flashing that card.
I never get tired of seeing their reactions. :lol:

LOL... It was strange moving to Indiana and having to show State ID in order to vote. There might be 17 people registered to vote at your home address but unless you show valid State ID, you ain't voting.

Toxick

Splat
Obtaining an ID costs money. Therein lies the problem.

Getting a job, getting welfare, prescription meds, driving, opening a bank account, and all that ####.... none of those things are unalienable rights. Voting is. And it logically follows that requiring an ID to vote equates to requiring someone to pay money to obtain this ID - and that, in effect, turns voting from a right into a privilege.

How that amounts to racism is beyond me - but IMO you shouldn't have a monetary prerequisite to vote.

And the reason why don't we have a freely issued national ID? I'm sure someone will adjust their tin-foil hat and explain to us why that's evil.

black dog

Free America
Gotta prove your a citizen, I dont care how. Birth cert, State or Fed ID, Passport...... Then dip your finger in a ink bottle..

black dog

Free America
Obtaining an ID costs money. Therein lies the problem.

And the reason why don't we have a freely issued national ID? I'm sure someone will adjust their tin-foil hat and explain to us why that's evil.

So we should saddle the Taxpayer with that now also?

PeoplesElbow

It might be lazy and it might not. I live pretty near my family and there are a lot of elderly in their very rural neighborhood that depend on others to get them to where they need to go. There are lots of times that they don't get to where they need to go particularly if their family members have jobs and can't or won't help out.

So what constitutes worthy numbers? Does every vote count or not?

So how do they get to the polling place to vote?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ok - say you lost your ID or it expired and you had a bank account for many years prior to that event. All your checks, social security, retirement whatever are direct deposited. You've looked way past the age of 21 for years. Do you still need an ID?

If you want to buy beer or prescription medication, yes. Most banks want to see your ID no matter how long you've been banking there. Many stores have a 100% ID check for cigarettes or alcohol. Want the good OTC allergy meds? Show ID.

The answer is always yes, you need a photo ID to pretty much exist.

Did you see the vid where the guy went into the 'hood and asked all the black people if they had a photo ID? 100% of them said 'yes'. It's only white liberals who think black people can't get a photo ID.

Ahem.

Rommey

Ok - say you lost your ID or it expired and you had a bank account for many years prior to that event. All your checks, social security, retirement whatever are direct deposited. You've looked way past the age of 21 for years. Do you still need an ID?
Are you saying a person who previously had an ID would somehow decide that its no longer necessary? They never plan on driving, flying, or doing many of the other things that require an ID?

Do you personally know anyone who doesn't have an ID other than children? Or more precisely, someone that fits your hypothetic question?

Tech

Yes, been at the same bank for 24 years, the women in the office know me. Still require to show ID for some transactions.

PeoplesElbow

Yup she had ids and misplaced them two years ago. She's had a bank account for years and withdraws money by writing a check to her daughter who cashes them and brings her the money. She reorders her checks online. Her prescriptions are called in to the base and her daughter picks them up at the pharmacy because there is a form on file giving her permission to do so. Wants wine? her daughter buys it. She doesn't drive, she doesn't fly. Been going to the same doctor for years, whatever ID she needed for that has long been on file.

Hoarder?

black dog

Free America
It might be lazy and it might not. I live pretty near my family and there are a lot of elderly in their very rural neighborhood that depend on others to get them to where they need to go. There are lots of times that they don't get to where they need to go particularly if their family members have jobs and can't or won't help out.

So what constitutes worthy numbers? Does every vote count or not?

Then mail in your vote, like all service members that are on deployment away from their home state or outside of the USA.

It's not the taxpayers responsibility to shuttle voters to the poles.

black dog

Free America
Me too but this person doesn't go to the bank - she sends me and the transactions are always simple withdrawals.

If you are willing to do her banking then take her to the DMV and get a new State ID..
One would think that she would be much more comfortable in a car with a friend or family member than on a shuttle bus with unknowns.
But the bus sometimes can be a exciting eventful excursion...

black dog

Free America
Whoosh - I have no idea what you're talking about anymore. I vote at my polling place, I'm not on deployment anymore (thank the gods). It's not a taxpayer who shuttles the voters to the polls - it's volunteers. Unpaid volunteers.

You don't understand that if it's to hard to get to the poles, you just make a phone call and get a ballet in the mail, fill it out and mail it back.
It's so easy my 19 year old did it.
And not all towns and city's have volunteers to shuttle folks to the poles.

black dog

Free America
I was getting the impression that you were talking about me personally and I don't have any of those issues that you mentioned. If you're talking about others - in my neck of the woods - it's a social thing to go and vote. They're elderly people, they get out of the house, they see people they know, they gossip, sometimes they go out for breakfast afterwards - in their lives it's an event.

I wasn't speaking of you..
Social here are the farmers at McDonald's at 5am. Or Eagles on Thurs night for the drawing at 9pm ( that emptys faster than a factory at quiting time ) or the luncheons at the elderly center..
We have loads of bluehairs in Buicks and Cadillacs... LOL....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yup she had ids and misplaced them two years ago. She's had a bank account for years and withdraws money by writing a check to her daughter who cashes them and brings her the money. She reorders her checks online. Her prescriptions are called in to the base and her daughter picks them up at the pharmacy because there is a form on file giving her permission to do so. Wants wine? her daughter buys it. She doesn't drive, she doesn't fly. Been going to the same doctor for years, whatever ID she needed for that has long been on file.

Why can't her daughter take her to the DMV to get a state ID card?

mitzi

seriously ?

if it mattered to someone they would get an ID ....

the facts have been repeatedly stated you can do NOTHING without and ID,
no bank account ....
no SSI ...
you are not cashing your welfare check, let alone GETTING Welfare without an ID ....
ok if you look old enough, you may not get carded for smokes, but most liquor stores have a 100% ID check policy anymore
[well maybe not down in the holla'r - but most towns]

ID's are also offered at little $ 5 bucks or no cost ...

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/drivers/apply/id-card.htm

There are no more welfare checks or unemployment checks.

Grumpy

And no I'm not saying a person who previously had an ID decided that it's not longer necessary. I'm saying that it's possible to get by without one under certain circumstances and if someone enables you.

If voting was important to them, they would get an ID regardless of the enabler. You jumped the shark with that scenario.