• I don't know anything about Waldorf

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Parts of Waldorf are great and other parts are ghetto. Although I haven't been up that way for awhile, so it might have changed.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
vraiblonde said:
Parts of Waldorf are great and other parts are ghetto. Although I haven't been up that way for awhile, so it might have changed.
:yeahthat: I lived in Charles County for over 10 years and the only thing that ever bothered me about Waldorf was the traffic. :shrug:

Mikeinsmd

vraiblonde said:
It changed.

Major section 8.
Way overbuilt.
Much of DC moved south when rent control ended.
Ghetto City.

John Z

if you will
None of your choices was appropriate for me. I live in White Plains, which is basically Waldorf. Waldorf is neither the bees knees or ghetto-tastic. As Randy Jackson would say, it's just aight with me.

oldman

Lobster Land
Nickel said:
:yeahthat: I lived in Charles County for over 10 years and the only thing that ever bothered me about Waldorf was the traffic. :shrug:

Granted I'm on the outskirts, only 10 minutes away, and the traffic is my only complaint. I listen to the scanner all day long and although it pretty much keeps busy the crime doesn't seem to me to be any worse than any other area in SOMD. Matter of fact, I'd say most events are accidents vice crimes.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Anyone who thinks Waldorf is ghetto needs to hang out in SE DC. Waldorf is bad, but it is no ghetto.

I avoid the sh!thole town. It is too crowded, dirty, and there is too much crime. I only go there when I absolutely have to, which is no more than once per year.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
MMDad said:
Anyone who thinks Waldorf is ghetto needs to hang out in SE DC. Waldorf is bad, but it is no ghetto.

I avoid the sh!thole town. It is too crowded, dirty, and there is too much crime. I only go there when I absolutely have to, which is no more than once per year.

Gee, I wonder where all of these Waldorf Ghetto dwellers came from. :confused:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Ah, how many times I've pondered the :ahem: beauty of Waldorf.

There is definitely too much building, too much traffic and I would not consider raising my children within its borders for even one day.

Additionally, it's not a pretty town by any means, and I have never heard someone excitedly proclaim, "I live in Waldorf!"

However, it has a worse reputation than reality delivers. There are ghetto pockets, but the town in general can not fairly be called a ghetto... not for probably another few years, anyway.

B

Bronwyn

I've been to Waldorf all of maybe 5 times ever. No reason to go.

Ender

Undercover Geek
Waldorf is kind of 'out there'. I'm not too impressed with it in general; but it is an alright/semi-decent place. Those who are talking about ghetto-areas are forgetting that almost all areas have (at the least) ghetto pockets - where certain roads or housing developments have the properties of 'ghetto' living. Waldorf, itself, is just a place I'd go in case I was curious to find something I can't find otherwise. The problem is, is that nowadays - Lexington Park/Hollywood areas are just as well (there's Best Buy, Staples, and the likes there as well).

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
One town that is as bad if not worse than Waldorf - proportionally speaking - is Indian Head. It's a straight shot down 210 out of SE and lower PG. An obvious escape route for thugs that commit a crime up there then drive south to ditch their car or whatever. It didn't take long for them to realize they could work it the other way around.

itchycoo

I grew up in Waldorf and lived there for about 20 years. I don't know where it gets its reputation as "ghetto." Ghetto makes me think that it's not safe to go outside by yourself or something. I live north of DC and I get to see real 'ghetto' often enough!

Waldorf is just a suburban bedroom community with a bit of a redneck/white trash/SMIB flava. But it's definitely overdeveloped and has some bad areas.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
itchycoo said:
Waldorf is just a suburban bedroom community with a bit of a redneck/white trash/SMIB flava. But it's definitely overdeveloped and has some bad areas.
Obviously you haven't been there in the past oh 10 years or so.

Fingel_Hymer

Restricted User
Define "ghetto" please

I voted in the category of the majority, Waldorf is a ghetto.

Having lived in So Md for over 30 years, I've lived in Pomfret, Waldorf, Solomons and Mechanicsville. IMO, Waldorf is "ghetto" when compared to just about any other densely populated area in Charles, St. Mary's or Calvert.

I never went to the mall in Waldorf after dark, much the same as I never went to the Marlow Heights mall [twenty-five years ago] after dark. BTW, I wouldn't go there now in the middle of the day.

Demographics follow trends. The trash that lived in DC looted and thieved all that area until there simply wasn't anything left worth stealing.... Twenty years ago, the trash began leaving DC and ventured to Silver Hill and continued south through Clinton, Brandywine and into the north area of Charles County. It's taking time, as any slow-death might. But I can assure you Waldorf is going to get worse. I won't say "get worse before it gets better" because I doubt it will ever get better.... period.

I left Waldorf in '94. A few years after the mall opened. I was a good time to leave. My townhouse still had some value to it. I wouldn't want to live in that neighborhood now....

Call me a prude, but I like being able to park my car in driveway, lock it and know with a pretty good amount of certainty, it will be there in the morning; in the same condition as when I left it [i.e. no dents, keying, broken glass, etc.]

Go to the respective sheriff's websites and look at their police call blotters for the three counties. Waldorf will shadow all of them. Sure there's more population, but that should not be your reasoning for excusing why you want to live where the thugs who want to rape, kill, or steal from you live and/or troll for victims?

Fingel_Hymer

Restricted User
itchycoo said:
I grew up in Waldorf and lived there for about 20 years. I don't know where it gets its reputation as "ghetto." Ghetto makes me think that it's not safe to go outside by yourself or something.

Safe to go outside by yourself?????? What planet are you on? You must be in "bizarro Waldorf"....

I'm a male, 6-2, 240# and I refuse to walk from the mall to my car in the waldorf shopping mall after 8:00 pm.

MD is so screwed up about allowing me to protect myself [anti-gun], I err on the side of my safety and shop from home or during the day.

Please tell me what part of Waldorf is "safe" after dark.

Qurious

Im On 1.
Mikeinsmd said:
It changed.

Major section 8.
Way overbuilt.
Much of DC moved south when rent control ended.
Ghetto City.

The people from DC are buying up these 400-600k homes...

Most homeowners aren't taking section 8 anymore so its really only the apartment complexes that are taking section 8 and they aren't building anymore of those.

What do u mean by overbuilt??

Do u even know where the term ghetto originated from?