Votes: 79 67.5%
  • I don't know anything about Waldorf

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Qurious

Im On 1.
itchycoo said:
I grew up in Waldorf and lived there for about 20 years. I don't know where it gets its reputation as "ghetto." Ghetto makes me think that it's not safe to go outside by yourself or something. I live north of DC and I get to see real 'ghetto' often enough!

Waldorf is just a suburban bedroom community with a bit of a redneck/white trash/SMIB flava. But it's definitely overdeveloped and has some bad areas.

RIGHT ON!!!

Poohhunny1605

Fingel_Hymer said:
Safe to go outside by yourself?????? What planet are you on? You must be in "bizarro Waldorf"....

I'm a male, 6-2, 240# and I refuse to walk from the mall to my car in the waldorf shopping mall after 8:00 pm.

MD is so screwed up about allowing me to protect myself [anti-gun], I err on the side of my safety and shop from home or during the day.

Please tell me what part of Waldorf is "safe" after dark.

I worked at Home Depot in Waldorf for almost a year and I hated working in Waldorf. We were never allowed to walk outside by ourselves and they close the garden center down no matter how late it is because of the money because of the area. I couldn't tell you how many times we had the police up there for shoplifting(which I can say doesn't only happen in Waldorf stores) but put it this way...people were preferring to go to the Capital Heights or Oxon Hill store over the store in Waldorf... Need I say more lol

bdh802

Bob
itchycoo said:
I grew up in Waldorf and lived there for about 20 years. I don't know where it gets its reputation as "ghetto." Ghetto makes me think that it's not safe to go outside by yourself or something. I live north of DC and I get to see real 'ghetto' often enough!

Waldorf is just a suburban bedroom community with a bit of a redneck/white trash/SMIB flava. But it's definitely overdeveloped and has some bad areas.

Somehow I just don't see Waldorf as a suburban bedroom community with a bit of redneck/white trash. Maybe 20 years ago but that doesn't describe the way it is today. It's more like an extension of SE Washington DC, with crime, noise, polution, you name it. It's kinda like being in the inner city only you don't have very tall building and they are spread out a little.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I used to go up to the mall. I don't think I've been there in at least five years. I got bad salmon at Nicks up there and they wouldn't take it back, even though I froze it after I smelled it coming out of the bag. I don't do Nick's there anymore either.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
BS Gal said:
I don't think I've been there in at least five years.
Hey, instead of me visiting you, why don't you make a trip? We can go watch the wretched, creepy masses mill about the mall parking lot. I'll supply the popcorn. :lol:

Pandora

vanbells said:
Waldorf isn't ghetto, but some it's population can be considered ghetto.

See, you are thinking along the lines of what I am thinking. I'm thinking ghetto like parts of Martin Luther King Ave or Capital Heights around the beltway. They have boards on windows, the place is run down, children in the streets, dealers in the alleys. Waldorf is, for the most part, well maintained, but the element that resides there is awful.

I had a townhouse over in Carrington from 89-95. The weekend after we moved, the pizza place in Smallwood Village was robbed and the people inside were shot execution style. The thought of that made me sick, but from that time on, the crime seemed to just increase. There was a time when the lake across from the Smallwood Village Center was heavily populated all day. I used to feel completely safe out there until the sun went down, sitting alone, while my dog swam. Now, you go there you are going to be raped and the lakeside is empty and dirty.

I think the last stats I read was that Charles County was 82-87% black and the rest white, that is a fact. Every suspect they are looking for is a black, tall, thin male wearing a hooded sweatshirt. If they get a photo from the store, it is IMO useless, black people don't photograph well on store cameras.
When I worked up there, I was always posting about police chases going up and down 301 and often they would bail out right around auto row in Waldorf.

Many public housing complexes were tore down in DC and in PG, so those occupants moved to Charles County.

For those that remember what Waldorf used to be, it is all sad to hear and see.

I am not afraid of going to Waldorf, but then again, I was heading up to Iverson Mall during the late 80's and 90's with no fear either. They had such great deals. :peace: Of course I wouldn't go to Waldorf or Iverson Mall after the sun went down.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Pandora said:
I had a townhouse over in Carrington from 89-95. The weekend after we moved, the pizza place in Smallwood Village was robbed and the people inside were shot execution style.
I used to live in one of the Heritage Place apartments. I remember hearing bad things about the area from day 1. There were some pretty violent events that happened in my time there, although I was never personally involved in any incidents. Since leaving there have been several notable stories of shootings... which just makes me glad that I need to visit that area rarely anymore.

Pandora said:
Iverson Mall
:lol: My mom shopped there often when she was a teenager. However, nothing is worse - or more sad - than Landover Mall. I lived near there when I was very young, and, of course, my parents went there frequently. The criminals ravaged that entire area like a band of termites in a new house. :ohwell:

Just as an aside, Waldorf's population is projected to grow from 72,509 (2005) to 98,188 (35.4%) by 2025. La Plata from 14,526 to 23,779 (63.7%) - source. I wonder how many of those folks will arrive due to the PG Effect. And if there are nasty pockets today, what will it be like by then?

buddy999

It's Great to be American
Qurious said:
Do u even know where the term ghetto originated from?
A ghetto is an area where people from a specific racial or ethnic background live as a group in seclusion, voluntarily or involuntarily. The word was originally used to refer to the Venetian Ghetto in Venice, Italy, where Jews were required to live. The corresponding German term was Judengasse. In Moroccan Arabic, ghettos were called mellah. The term came into widespread use during World War II to refer to Nazi ghettos.

The term is now commonly used to refer to any poverty-stricken urban area. In the U.S., "rural ghetto" is used to describe mobile home parks, farm labor housing tracts, and Indian reservations. Urban neighborhoods where Hispanic immigrants settled in the late 20th century (called barrios) are said to be comparable to ghettos, because most immigrants form a culturally isolated enclave and may choose to remain there or associate with their own group.
Source

OldHillcrestGuy

Pandora said:
I think the last stats I read was that Charles County was 82-87% black and the rest white, that is a fact.

Your facts are way off, last election (November 2006) Charles County was around 60-65%white. :coffee:

K

Kain99

OldHillcrestGuy said:
Your facts are way off, last election (November 2006) Charles County was around 60-65%white. :coffee:
Stats from 2000

The racial makeup of the CDP was 61.11% White, 31.98% African American, 0.54% Native American, 2.59% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.88% from other races, and 2.88% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.91% of the population.

Pandora

OldHillcrestGuy said:

http://www.fedstats.gov/qf/states/24/24017.html

But in 2005, they list this as 60% white, so all the white people must be moving back. :lmao:

I think those stats are way off. We had a break down that was passed around last year and I seem to remember that the population had undergone a drastic change. I asked if I could make a copy of it and was told that person shouldn’t have even had a copy of it.

Stats take so long to gather and anyone who has lived in Charles County can just look down their street and see that there is a huge increase in the black population in Charles County. In fact, look at the bus stops. :peace:

Dork

Highlander's MPD
Pandora said:
http://www.fedstats.gov/qf/states/24/24017.html

But in 2005, they list this as 60% white, so all the white people must be moving back. :lmao:

I think those stats are way off. We had a break down that was passed around last year and I seem to remember that the population had undergone a drastic change. I asked if I could make a copy of it and was told that person shouldn’t have even had a copy of it.

Stats take so long to gather and anyone who has lived in Charles County can just look down their street and see that there is a huge increase in the black population in Charles County. In fact, look at the bus stops. :peace:

Waldorf is only a part of Charles County. There are a lot of areas in the county that are still mostly white, not saying that's good or bad. This would explain the difference in the county stats v. what we see in Waldorf when visiting.

Does this whole thing mean blacks commit more crimes than whites. Not neccesarily. There are plenty of white criminals out there. It's just that a lot of blacks who have migrated from DC tend to be more of the lower class, section 8 type black people who tend to pass the loser pathetic lifestyle down to their kids. They are not being raised to value education, hard work, respect, etc. As I have said many times, I have black friends and work with some great black people but that doesn't mean I am going to close my eyes and mouth and not call it the way I see it. It's great to hear a story of an inner-city black child who grows up to make something of himself. It's definitely possible but it's not what most black familes encourage in the inner-city environment. They'd rather sit back and blame all of their shortcomings on everyone else and slavery. For the rest of us, I truely believe we've heard enough, am tired of it but are afraid to say much because it's politically incorrect.

AndyMarquisLIVE

vanbells said:
Waldorf isn't ghetto, but some it's population can be considered ghetto.
People in Waldorf are much better than La Plata.

I live in Waldorf, hate the area. But, working in La Plata sucks! :loser:

I'd much rather live and work in Waldorf than in certain areas of SOMD.

MissMissy

I live in Waldorf. There is nothing wrong with Waldorf. It's funny that most of the people on here who say Waldorf is the ghetto also say they don't ever go to Waldorf. I am a 25 year old female and I am never scared to go to the mall by myself no matter what time I go there. I like living in Waldorf.

spicy

MissMissy said:
I live in Waldorf. There is nothing wrong with Waldorf. It's funny that most of the people on here who say Waldorf is the ghetto also say they don't ever go to Waldorf. I am a 25 year old female and I am never scared to go to the mall by myself no matter what time I go there. I like living in Waldorf.

So did you steal this computer you are using?

AndyMarquisLIVE

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. La Plata sucks! :loser:

Don't get me wrong, Waldorf isn't the nicest place to live, but you've got to compromise some quality of living for nicer dining and other stuff. I'd much rather work or live in Waldorf than I would La Plata (having lived for some amount of time in both).