Votes: 79 67.5%
  • I don't know anything about Waldorf

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rdkarob

AndyMarquisLIVE said:
The grass isn't always greener on the other side. La Plata sucks! :loser:

Don't get me wrong, Waldorf isn't the nicest place to live, but you've got to compromise some quality of living for nicer dining and other stuff. I'd much rather work or live in Waldorf than I would La Plata (having lived for some amount of time in both).

Just wondering....what is wrong with LaPlata????? Much nicer, stores are kept cleaner, except now people are coming from Waldorf to tear up the LaPlata stores.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
I live in Pinefield and have lived in St.Charles as well as Wexford Village. I miss the small town that Waldorf was. Of course with the population growth comes the bad stuff like crime and traffic. Its just the way of the world. I grew up on the upper west side of NYC and I moved here to get away from the over population and crime etc etc etc. When I am ready I will leave Waldorf as it is not a place I want my daughter to grow up in.

riverrat

What is it with La Plata? If it's lack of traffic lights and stores on every corner, hold on their coming... They are going to ruin that little small town just like they did to Waldorf.

Kumba

Eh, I've lived here ~20 years, and by and large, I think it largely depends on where you live that determines whether it gets the "ghetto" moniker or not. I'm in one of the "old" neighborhoods (Wakefield, Sentry, Bannister, etc), and in them, things can change largely court-to-court. It seems if you live in one of the "inner" courts (those that are inside of the circle), and have a bike path running nearby or exiting into the court, then you can get more occurrences of seedier folk passing through. If you live in one of the "outside" courts, things can be entirely different. The, of course, there are the apartments, town homes, and duplex/triplexes where things gett even stranger.

As for the whole DC migration thing, maybe my area has just been lucky. Most of the african-american families moving in are very well-to-do and hold stable jobs and even had kids and whatnot. With all the new growth in the area, things are getting to be very dynamic, so it'll be interesting to see how things develop over the next few years.

We've got a new baseball stadium being built, possibly another nearby power plant, US301 and MD210 road improvements (not to mention the Nice Bridge project), high-energy physics laboratory etc..The next 5-10 years I think will make this county and town vastly different than what it is today.

Just as long as we don't turn into Loudon county, I think things will be alright :)

GSXR_MOE

Adding Diversity to SOMD
Well I've been living in Waldorf for about 4 years, and I don't know why eveyone is so down on it. Waldorf is a really nice place, hell there are worst places to live in DC/MD/VA. I'm one of the many Ex military who got out and stayed... I've lived in Laurel and Hyattsville, and I can tell you I think Waldorf if better then any of those places. So my question to eveyone, why are there so many people down on Waldorf????

rdkarob

GSXR_MOE said:
Well I've been living in Waldorf for about 4 years, and I don't know why eveyone is so down on it. Waldorf is a really nice place, hell there are worst places to live in DC/MD/VA. I'm one of the many Ex military who got out and stayed... I've lived in Laurel and Hyattsville, and I can tell you I think Waldorf if better then any of those places. So my question to eveyone, why are there so many people down on Waldorf????

Give it about 5 more years and you can just chalk Waldorf up on that list with Hyattsville, Capitol Heights, and so on. I have lived here all my life and in the last 5 years it has gone so down hill. What is sad, is that most of the crimes committed are people that are from out of town, but guess who they are here "visiting" thats right....people that live in Waldorf. It is a horrible horrible place to live compared to when I was growing up. We use to go outside when I was a kid and our parents use to make us come in....now I would not let my kid go out by herself for all the money in the world (if I lived in Waldorf) And stay away from that mall....nothing but a criminals convention center.

AndyMarquisLIVE

riverrat said:
What is it with La Plata? If it's lack of traffic lights and stores on every corner, hold on their coming... They are going to ruin that little small town just like they did to Waldorf.
It's impossible to get anywhere in La Plata, because they have a serious lack of traffic lights.

And the light to get from Washington to CSM, at least twice in the last month I've sat through 5 light cycles before deciding to run straight through it, or turn around and take an alternate route.

They're replacing roadsides with CONCRETE walls.

LP is a traffic NIGHTMARE! :loser:

kbeachcat123

Jack Russells RULE!
rdkarob said:
Give it about 5 more years and you can just chalk Waldorf up on that list with Hyattsville, Capitol Heights, and so on. I have lived here all my life and in the last 5 years it has gone so down hill. What is sad, is that most of the crimes committed are people that are from out of town, but guess who they are here "visiting" thats right....people that live in Waldorf. It is a horrible horrible place to live compared to when I was growing up. We use to go outside when I was a kid and our parents use to make us come in....now I would not let my kid go out by herself for all the money in the world (if I lived in Waldorf) And stay away from that mall....nothing but a criminals convention center.

:yeahthat: I agree with rdkarob's analysis.

Kumba

AndyMarquisLIVE said:
And the light to get from Washington to CSM, at least twice in the last month I've sat through 5 light cycles before deciding to run straight through it, or turn around and take an alternate route.
This the one that crosses by MDSP Barracks H and runs straight into Mitchell?

They're replacing roadsides with CONCRETE walls.

LP is a traffic NIGHTMARE! :loser:
Try Gibbon street in Alexandria, VA during rush hour, and a pile up on the ramp leading out to the Wilson Bridge. You'll be there at least a quarter hour, maybe half, creeping a few inches every light cycle, before you even get onto the exit ramp leading to the beltway. The ramp itself?, another 10-15mins.

Takes one accident anywhere on the outer loop at the Rt 1 interchange, or between it and the WWB, to clog traffic all the way though Old Town, side streets/neighborhoods included. You're better off fighting your way up to the 14th Street bridge and the 395 backups (which at least move). Equally, a 7mi backup to the Springfield Interchange will accomplish the same thing.

Waldorf/La Plata Traffic is a breeze compared to that ;)

Gwendolyn

I had to go to Waldorf to get my car serviced. Once I took the entire family and we went to the IHOP for lunch. I had a guy with prison tattoos came up and say "Hows can I get fer you today"

The only other time I've been up there was to go to the mall and it's just not worth the hassle and creepy people. We go up to Annapolis instead.

Macicka

Kumba said:
This the one that crosses by MDSP Barracks H and runs straight into Mitchell?

That's the one. I didn't start this complaint, but I have had the same problem. I don't think La Plata traffic is all that horrible compared to other places but that light makes me crazy! It should be the fastest way to CSM from where I live but the light only seems to work about half the time from that direction (crossing from Mitchell back to Washington doesn't seem to have that issue). Does anyone have an explanation for that?

Anyway, with that out of the way I have to say I can't deal with Waldorf. Recently I was in the mall and had to duck into a store to avoid getting run into by some people having a fight in front of Bath and Body Works! I have to be in a real hurry to get something to go to Waldorf, otherwise I'll go up to Annapolis for shopping or going out.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Macicka said:
That's the one. I didn't start this complaint, but I have had the same problem. I don't think La Plata traffic is all that horrible compared to other places but that light makes me crazy! It should be the fastest way to CSM from where I live but the light only seems to work about half the time from that direction (crossing from Mitchell back to Washington doesn't seem to have that issue). Does anyone have an explanation for that?

Anyway, with that out of the way I have to say I can't deal with Waldorf. Recently I was in the mall and had to duck into a store to avoid getting run into by some people having a fight in front of Bath and Body Works! I have to be in a real hurry to get something to go to Waldorf, otherwise I'll go up to Annapolis for shopping or going out.
That light never works :burning:

I don't have an explanation but I can tell you, it happens to me ALL the time. Way to discourage running red lights. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: