Wanting a horse.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
My 12 year old daughter his still on her horse kick. She is trying to save her money to buy one. :rolleyes: I tell her the horse is the cheap think and it is the up keep that is so expensive. Room / board / horse trailer / vet bills/ etc.

So she is looking into bumper pull trailers so that my truck can pull it. She shows me all these trailers she finds from tacktrader.com or horse world.

I tell her the best horse to have is your friends horse. All the fun and now worries. Then I tell her to just take lessons.

If money was no object, I would get her one. I wonder if this is a phase that she will outgrow.

Just venting my frustrations on trying to get through her head how expensive horse ownership is.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I was the same way as a kid. :lmao: I never got that horse from my parents either. I ended up buying my first one in my 20's. Yes the horse is the cheap part of horse ownership. If I had to board my horses I wouldn't have them. Just had yearly shots and coggins on 2 and that was 275$ then your worming, farrier, tack, feed, hay, general supplies, etc. Yes they can be expensive but yet so rewarding. Maybe she could find a partial lease on one or even maybe work at a stable or private owner to get riding privledges in return. There are some freebies out there also but beware! Some are fine some aren't worth the time. There are also good deals on used trailers but again beware. If not sure take a person who has the experience with horses and trailering. Good luck!

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
KingFish said:
My 12 year old daughter his still on her horse kick. She is trying to save her money to buy one. :rolleyes: I tell her the horse is the cheap think and it is the up keep that is so expensive. Room / board / horse trailer / vet bills/ etc.

So she is looking into bumper pull trailers so that my truck can pull it. She shows me all these trailers she finds from tacktrader.com or horse world.

I tell her the best horse to have is your friends horse. All the fun and now worries. Then I tell her to just take lessons.

If money was no object, I would get her one. I wonder if this is a phase that she will outgrow.

Just venting my frustrations on trying to get through her head how expensive horse ownership is.

I just sent you a PM. :howdy:

nomoney

Tell her when she's 15 if she still wants a horse - You'll either help her buy a car or you'll help her buy a horse.

fredsaid2

KingFish said:

Give her a summer project; have her cost out all items of necessary horse care and lessons, then the would like to haves, then the emergency funds. Total that for the year. Compare it to weekly, twice weekly lessons and lease options. Laying it all out in black and white would let her see her options and the benefits of each. You may not want to see the end tally. I did this once and had to look at it sideways w/ eyes squinted half closed! I'm glad to hear you encourage and support her. Horses are great to be involved with but the reality of cost can be a stunner. Keep an eye on the classifieds, often an ad will pop up looking for a rider or lease. Best of luck!

DQ2B

yup, they are expensive. On the plus side though, if she truly has the horse bug and you do find a way to get her one, you'll always know where she is.

mingiz

Horse Poor
DQ2B said:
yup, they are expensive. On the plus side though, if she truly has the horse bug and you do find a way to get her one, you'll always know where she is.

So True :killingme :lmao: It's an addiction :jameo: :lmao:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
i would suggest actually getting her into lessons, and let her spend lots of time at the barn, helping with the horse chores. Then see how much she still wants a horse after a year of doing the REAL work of horse ownership. I never lost my desire but my parents would never buy me one, my dad wasn't called Diamond Jim for nothing :lol:

K

Katie

I had horses growing up. I had to sell them due to moving around many times, and living in an apt. You know those landlords don't like a big horse living in the apt with you. It was either pay my rent, or live in the barn (board was 1000.00 a month). Now in my 30's I am going to getting another horse next year, but I am riding someone's horse for them 3 or 4 days a week.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Katie said:
I had horses growing up. I had to sell them due to moving around many times, and living in an apt. You know those landlords don't like a big horse living in the apt with you. It was either pay my rent, or live in the barn (board was 1000.00 a month). Now in my 30's I am going to getting another horse next year, but I am riding someone's horse for them 3 or 4 days a week.

OK thats it, :razz: I'm raising my price :wench:

Josimmon

I too wanted a horse but my parents would not even consider it. Even though I worked at a farm, took lessons for years, would have been able to board it at my uncles place (no fee) had a job to pay for food and vet. They said I would grow out of it...well I have not grown out of it and I finally got my horse almost 2 years ago (almost 30 years after I started asking for one).

If she truly wants a horse, have her work on a farm and do babysitting for money (or get paid at a farm). If she were willing to work hard for a horse then I would do what I could to get her one. I am the only horse nut in our family...my girls just want to ride and not do the whole work thing so I would never consider getting them one.

If she does prove herself, then maybe lease a horse for awhile…or get a rescue. My baby is a rescue and I could not be happier with him if I dropped thousands of dollars on a pure bred. His personality makes him a champion.

W

WildHorses

mingiz said:
I was the same way as a kid. :lmao: I never got that horse from my parents either. I ended up buying my first one in my 20's. Yes the horse is the cheap part of horse ownership. If I had to board my horses I wouldn't have them. Just had yearly shots and coggins on 2 and that was 275$ then your worming, farrier, tack, feed, hay, general supplies, etc. Yes they can be expensive but yet so rewarding. Maybe she could find a partial lease on one or even maybe work at a stable or private owner to get riding privledges in return. There are some freebies out there also but beware! Some are fine some aren't worth the time. There are also good deals on used trailers but again beware. If not sure take a person who has the experience with horses and trailering. Good luck!

:yeahthat: The vet just visited us for our bi-annual shots and was apologizing profusely as he was handing me the bill (17 horses). :jameo: But I wouldn't want to trade it for anything in the world. There is nothing so rewarding as that morning nicker. :huggy: But it is a great deal of work and responsibility and, as a parent, you've got to be willing to kick in and help your daughter with both. :flowers: After over 20 years it is something Changeling and I still love to do together although she now surpasses me in all areas equine.

Katt

:yeahthat:
WildHorses said:
:yeahthat: The vet just visited us for our bi-annual shots and was apologizing profusely as he was handing me the bill (17 horses). :jameo: But I wouldn't want to trade it for anything in the world. There is nothing so rewarding as that morning nicker. :huggy: But it is a great deal of work and responsibility and, as a parent, you've got to be willing to kick in and help your daughter with both. :flowers: After over 20 years it is something Changeling and I still love to do together although she now surpasses me in all areas equine.
:yeahthat: again! My husband and I have had horses all our lives and my one daughter is horse crazy too. She shows and yes, it's expensive, but at least I know she's thinking about achieving something there instead of just becoming boy crazy and playing on the computer all day. We all have seen where that leads. I am all for figuring it out what works for them and having her help with the costs. Plus, it's always a good incentive to maintain good grades, etc. (She's an A student, so of course, with all her hard work, she gets to enjoy her beloved horse. ) If at a later time, your daughter looses interest, you can always sell out. There's always another girl whose looking for a good horse.

barncat

KingFish said:

I say definately get her into a barn where she can get an education on all things horsie. I was lucky that I got my horse when I was 11, but I worked weekends and summers at a farm to keep him. It wasn't until I was 18 and working full-time that I didn't work off my board. Heck, if you're in the Charlotte Hall area I have a horse that she can ride for free, I just don't have the time (new mom) to get out and ride and I don't see it changing in the near future.

I think because of my horse and having to work to keep him I learned a lot about responsibility. I remember crying when I didn't have enough money from babysitting to pay my part of the board one month, I was devasted and thought I was going to have to sell my horse. Thankfully my dad found the farm that would let me work off the board completely and my babysitting money paid for lessons, farrier, vet and whatever else the horse needed.

Funny thing is when I was making enough to pay board, rent, showing expenses and still have money left over, I worked weekends at a farm because I missed the work, it's like my life isn't complete if I'm not feeding, watering, and mucking....anyone else have this problem???

KingFish

Nothing to see here
She saved up and bought herself boots and a riding hat from a local tack shop. She is saving for a trailer now.

fredsaid2

KingFish said:
My daughter is going to resume horse back riding lessons. She see's this saddle on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SADDLE-HORSE-RI...QQihZ009QQcategoryZ111280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How much is it really worth? She wants to get it being that it is cheap but sometimes cheap is not so good. I do not know anything about saddles.

By the size alone I'd say it's way too big for your daughter. Mine is 15 and rides in a 16 1/2, the one on E-Bay says it's a 17 - 17 1/2. Will your daughter ride one particular horse in lessons or several? Saddles not only have to fit the rider but the horse too. It's very difficult to have one saddle fit a range of horses. I'm impressed she's willing to save and spend her money. Sounds like a very nice kid :smile: Steer her towards buying things she can wear for the time being. When she buys or leases a horse, then start looking for tack. Where is she going for lessons?

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I am guessing Riveria Acres right now. Her friend goes to a place off dares beach road. I have to look at the budget, schedule, and make a couple of calls and go from there.