Weapons left behind

SamSpade

WHY was it so necessary to leave SO MUCH behind - and to one of the most brutal regimes we've encountered?
Was it SO IMPORTANT to just "get out" we left billions, stranded allies, stranded Americans and with the intel we abandoned - condemned thousands to death?

glhs837

Power with Control
Spine. Or lack thereof. Combined with the lack of Bagram. We did need to leave stuff for the Afghan Army. But we could have quite clearly stated that we would destroy any equipment left behind. And that anyone within 1/2 mile of such equipment after abandonment by the Afghans was in danger and we would not be responsible for death or injury from such proximity.

I'm sure there were detailed plans for doing so. And once we signed out of that base, the poor bastard who sweated blood getting that plan nailed down just tossed the papers in the air and went home for a stiff drink or five.

I dont know if its real, but I've seen one picture purporting to show an H-60 flying around with some poor bastard under it with a rope around his neck...

Hijinx

It's done. If we had a real President the next thing we would be doing is planning on what to do when the killing starts and the equipment begins being used all over the middle east by terrorists.
We now have an awful lot of Muslims o deal with coming to our country. Those who worked for us and without doubt those who were working against us, How do we vet people when we have no way of doing so except personal interviews.

Reactions: BOP

SamSpade

Spine. Or lack thereof. Combined with the lack of Bagram. We did need to leave stuff for the Afghan Army. But we could have quite clearly stated that we would destroy any equipment left behind. And that anyone within 1/2 mile of such equipment after abandonment by the Afghans was in danger and we would not be responsible for death or injury from such proximity.

I'm sure there were detailed plans for doing so. And once we signed out of that base, the poor bastard who sweated blood getting that plan nailed down just tossed the papers in the air and went home for a stiff drink or five.

I dont know if its real, but I've seen one picture purporting to show an H-60 flying around with some poor bastard under it with a rope around his neck...

I've seen that too. Maybe we should have placed remote detonators in all of them.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm shocked that this segment of the blunder isn't talked about more. They now have over 15,000 sets of night vision goggles. Who knows how many countries have that many sets for their armed forces. But I suspect the number would be quite low. Those things are a huge tactical advantage which we just pissed away.

Not only did we walk away from a conflict, we just created a much better supplied foe. Some one or a group of someones made that decision to leave all that gear behind. When will the dismissals and forced resignations begin? With this incompetent regime, those planners will probably be promoted.

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We now have an awful lot of Muslims o deal with coming to our country. Those who worked for us and without doubt those who were working against us, How do we vet people when we have no way of doing so except personal interviews.

It was bad enough that they were allowing hundreds of thousands of low skilled, virus infected migrants to walk in the southern barn door. Now we are flying tens of thousands of potential Boston marathon bombers and San Bernardino gunmen to every state in the union.

It's my hope that somewhere military historians are writing white papers and other articles on this mess. Along with after action reports of what went wrong and how things should have proceeded. And make those articles mandatory reading before getting a military commission.

Way back when during the 2008 elections the democrats nominated a junior senator with very little experience. A country needs experienced people running the show, not just someone that makes pleasant speeches and checks all the right demographic boxes. Well 40+ year joe hanging around the DC swamp for half of his lifetime, just goes to show that experienced or not, democrat politicians are poor candidates to run even a hot dog stand down at the National Mall.

The taliban just executed some muslim comedian. His crime was making people laugh and putting smiles on their faces. I doubt anyone is smiling now over there.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Not just weapons...

American citizens and Afghan allies weren’t all the Biden administration left behind in its retreat from Afghanistan.
The U.S. military abandoned its contracted working dogs, according to a statement Monday night by a major animal-welfare group.
American Humane condemned the effective “death sentence” that the U.S. withdrawal from Kabul in favor of the Islamist Taliban militia has spelled for contract working dogs.

• Sad
Reactions: BOP

PeoplesElbow

The aircraft could be rendered useless by removing a couple small parts, cutting some wires. Five minutes would have taken care of them.

Hijinx

The aircraft could be rendered useless by removing a couple small parts, cutting some wires. Five minutes would have taken care of them.
A half lb. of sugar in te gas tanks of all of those trucks would have done the job.
Or maybe that glass they put in the tanks of the vehicles they destroyed during Obama's destruction of vehicles traded in.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

WHY was it so necessary to leave SO MUCH behind - and to one of the most brutal regimes we've encountered?
Was it SO IMPORTANT to just "get out" we left billions, stranded allies, stranded Americans and with the intel we abandoned - condemned thousands to death?

Hunter Biden probably got a job with the Taliban and leaving behind all that hardware was one of the conditions.

glhs837

Power with Control
A half lb. of sugar in te gas tanks of all of those trucks would have done the job.
Or maybe that glass they put in the tanks of the vehicles they destroyed during Obama's destruction of vehicles traded in.

Both of these ideas require either us to "spike" equipment intended for use by our "allies" or to send people back in after those "allies" ran away.

But theres no reason we couldnt have just bombed the live chit out of every location where the equipment was between the abandonment and when the TB got there. Maybe wait til the TB were gathered around?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Nearly all of those devices use software/firmware. It's not uncommon to have a worm that destroys the contents of memory and itself. A remotely triggered worm would have rendered any computer controlled device useless.

PeoplesElbow

We should have taken every piece of electronic gear out, squadrons need spares and replacements all the time.

Baring that take dykes to all hyd lines, fuel lines, cut every connector off that connects to an avionics box, and take a dump in the pilot seat.

In an hour each aircraft could have been good for recycle only.

glhs837

Power with Control
Nearly all of those devices use software/firmware. It's not uncommon to have a worm that destroys the contents of memory and itself. A remotely triggered worm would have rendered any computer controlled device useless.

I've always liked that idea, but then you risk your enemy getting the codes and shutting your stuff down in combat....

We should have taken every piece of electronic gear out, squadrons need spares and replacements all the time.

Baring that take dykes to all hyd lines, fuel lines, cut every connector off that connects to an avionics box, and take a dump in the pilot seat.

In an hour each aircraft could have been good for recycle only.

But we were giving that equipment to the "Good" Afghans

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Well, like has been said before, the intent was to leave the equipment for the Afghan troops. Huge miscalculation on how the Afghans would react.

BOP

It was an Obama regime style gun-walking operation, like Fast and Furious, on a much larger scale. This administration and whomever is behind it armed the taliban with a staggering amount and variety of weapons platforms.