Weight loss

vraiblonde said:
Light treadmill - 3 or 5 times a week, 1/2 hour to 45 minutes at 4 mph average.

Natural pear shape - my butt's always been boogie. I'm going to end up having to do weights to tone all this crap up. :mad:
Leslie Sansone is the fitness instructor responsible for the "Walk the pounds away" series... she is very fit, but I've never seen her lose her "pear" shape... it seems sometimes ya gotta accept the fruit you are in the bowl of life...:shrug:

AL_Leslie01.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
bresamil said:
You have a 25 year class reunion coming up don't you?
Yeah, but it's not for that - I'm not even going. The reason is much more petty and embarrassing than that. :lol:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I'll tell you what Vrai! There is a machine at the gym that works like GOLD on your ass! The local gym took it out, and I cannot for the life of me remember what it is called... However, I am posting this because I am sure some forumtie knows the simulated version that you can do at home - sans machine - with ankle weights... (kicking/swinging legs back/reps then swing out to side/reps....)

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
vraiblonde said:

Natural pear shape - my butt's always been boogie. I'm going to end up having to do weights to tone all this crap up. :mad:
Kwillia posted a girl article yesterday. I can't remember which thread it was in, but it had some good cardio stuff in it. :yay:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
vraiblonde said:

Try the strength bands instead of weights. You can do a variety of exercises with these in the comfort of your own home. Also incorporate walking lunges with possibly holding 5 pound weights in your hands. You could also get one of the exercise balls. There is a variety of exercises you can do with this as well.

If you do use weights, go with light weights and lots of reps. If you use heavier weights, you are gonna bulk up the areas you are trying to slim down.

"Spot Reduction Myth
Contrary to what the info commercials suggest, there is no such thing as spot reduction. Fat is lost throughout the body in a pattern dependent upon genetics, sex (hormones), and age. Overall body fat must be reduced to lose fat in any particular area. Although fat is lost or gained throughout the body, it seems the last area to become lean or the first area to get fat is the midsection (in men and some women) and hips and thighs (in women and few men). Sit-ups, crunches, leg-hip raises, leg raises, hip adduction, hip abduction, etc. will only exercise the muscles under the fat."

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
jwwb2000 said:
If you do use weights, go with light weights and lots of reps. If you use heavier weights, you are gonna bulk up the areas you are trying to slim down.
That's not necessarily true. Woman don't have the genetic background to "bulk" up like men. When you see woman weight lifters, they don't get that way from just working out - they stick to a strict diet and they also consume proteins and muscle-gainer stuff.

When I was going to Worlds, I had a personal trainer tell me I could use heavy weights and not worry about bulking up - it just wouldn't happen. Well, here I am 1.5 years later and I'm still weight training - no bulk in me. :shrug:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Chasey_Lane said:
That's not necessarily true. Woman don't have the genetic background to "bulk" up like men. When you see woman weight lifters, they don't get that way from just working out - they stick to a strict diet and they also consume proteins and muscle-gainer stuff.

When I was going to Worlds, I had a personal trainer tell me I could use heavy weights and not worry about bulking up - it just wouldn't happen. Well, here I am 1.5 years later and I'm still weight training - no bulk in me. :shrug:

Odd. Most trainers will tell you, if you lift heavier, you will build bulk. And from what research I have done on the subject, most people will build up bulk IF they persist on lifting heavier with less reps as opposed to those who lift lighter with more reps.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Chasey_Lane said:

Your trainer was trying to impress you. He lied.

nomoney

jwwb2000 said:
Odd. Most trainers will tell you, if you lift heavier, you will build bulk. And from what research I have done on the subject, most people will build up bulk IF they persist on lifting heavier with less reps as opposed to those who lift lighter with more reps.

:yeahthat: more reps+lighter weight = toning less reps+higher weight = muscle increase

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
jwwb2000 said:
Of course you're going to gain muscle; you're just not going to bulk up like a guy. I'm not saying you won't tone and gain muscle, just that you won't look like China. :biggrin:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Chasey_Lane said:
Of course you're going to gain muscle; you're just not going to bulk up like a guy. I'm not saying you won't tone and gain muscle, just that you won't look like China. :biggrin:

What weight are you using? And yes, a woman WILL bulk up like a man.