We're at War! Aren't we?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I've been watching the evening news and I'm convinced that most of our fellow Americans aren't aware that we are at war, or they simply don't know (and are too stupid to figure out) how things work when there's a war going on.

Before I start my rant, let me say up front that no, I didn't do any research of any kind before writing this post. If some of my facts and reasoning are flawed, I don't care.

The latest things to peeve me are:
1. The Supreme Court ruling on a non-Constitutional issue (the rights of terrorists). I think they should have none, the Supremes want to treat them like U.S. Citizens. They certainly shouldn't be considered POWs because they weren't in uniform. If that doesn't hold water, we should find another excuse to make them ineligible for the protections of the Geneva Convention or any other document written to protect Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines.

2. The Congress exhibiting rare bipartisan cooperation - for precisely the wrong thing. Secret information obtained by secret means should stay a secret, not be given to the terrorists. Of course, I don't think they are entitled to a lawyer in the first place, much less a look at how they were investigated and the evidence that was obtained.

3. The President skating dangerously close to letting a few cats out of the bag in order to make his point to a bunch of people who aren't listening anyway. The nation SHOULD be listening to him; the nation SHOULD be supporting him, but they aren't even listening. Compromising classified information via national TV isn't a really good idea.

4. Forcing the discussion of CIA interrogation techniques and the Army manual on interrogation techniques to TV and open debate in Congress. Why not simply send out a bunch of leaflets to all the mosques in the country that detail what your average terrorist prisoner can expect for interrogation? :rolleyes:

These are just a few of the many news items that just seem to indicate that Americans aren't thinking like a nation that's at war. Very frustrating.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Railroad said:
I've been watching the evening news and I'm convinced that most of our fellow Americans aren't aware that we are at war, or they simply don't know (and are too stupid to figure out) how things work when there's a war going on.

Before I start my rant, let me say up front that no, I didn't do any research of any kind before writing this post. If some of my facts and reasoning are flawed, I don't care.

1. The Supreme Court ruling on a non-Constitutional issue (the rights of terrorists). I think they should have none, the Supremes want to treat them like U.S. Citizens. They certainly shouldn't be considered POWs because they weren't in uniform. If that doesn't hold water, we should find another excuse to make them ineligible for the protections of the Geneva Convention or any other document written to protect Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines.

2. The Congress exhibiting rare bipartisan cooperation - for precisely the wrong thing. Secret information obtained by secret means should stay a secret, not be given to the terrorists. Of course, I don't think they are entitled to a lawyer in the first place, much less a look at how they were investigated and the evidence that was obtained.

3. The President skating dangerously close to letting a few cats out of the bag in order to make his point to a bunch of people who aren't listening anyway. The nation SHOULD be listening to him; the nation SHOULD be supporting him, but they aren't even listening. Compromising classified information via national TV isn't a really good idea.

4. Forcing the discussion of CIA interrogation techniques and the Army manual on interrogation techniques to TV and open debate in Congress. Why not simply send out a bunch of leaflets to all the mosques in the country that detail what your average terrorist prisoner can expect for interrogation? :rolleyes:

These are just a few of the many news items that just seem to indicate that Americans aren't thinking like a nation that's at war. Very frustrating.
:yeahthat: :yay: :patriot:

Vince

There are alot of liberals in this country that think you can make a nice civilized war with rules. War is to be avoided, but if you have to make war, then make :war: dammit.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Railroad said:

This issue I think is Bush's fault completely. I read somewhere, and forgive me, but I'll find the stat, Bush as spoke on television the fewest times than any other president since television's invention. This combined with other small errors has created an aura of mistrust so Americans won't listen to him because they don't trust or believe him. He needs to appear more often and be more upfront about things (that aren't classified). He also comes accross like a broken record which I think is his speech writer's fault. 9/11 is a perfect example. Instead of a nice long flowery speech of the heroism of those involved the the lives lost, he spent about a minute and a half talking about the twin towers and then rolled right into politics, beating the same dead horse again and again. People will listen, they loved him before, he just needs to make them see they can trust him and give them something to listen to.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
09-15-2006 12:55 AM Anti-Bushie boy

Umm how? This must have come from a Kerry supporter actually. You know, no spine to actually debate the issue that's being talked about and using simple fragmented sentences that show's a lack of intelligence.

Mikeinsmd

Bustem' Down said:
This issue I think is Bush's fault completely.
:duh: Yeah, he hired the terrorists, he controls the media, he heads the aclu.... :blahblah:

Who gives a rats ass that he's given the fewest press conferences of any president?? He's been the busiest president in history. No other pres. has had to deal with what he has on this level with the liberal media. I expect better from you Bust!!

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Mikeinsmd said:
:duh: Yeah, he hired the terrorists, he controls the media, he heads the aclu.... :blahblah:

Who gives a rats ass that he's given the fewest press conferences of any president?? He's been the busiest president in history. No other pres. has had to deal with what he has on this level with the liberal media. I expect better from you Bust!!
No, I think you misunderstood me Mike. I was explaining that the lack of interest from Americans, how railroad said they they aren't listening, is his fault. In any postion, the President, civilian management, anything, you as the speaker have the responsibility to keep people's attention to what you have to say. I was in no way saying that he's responsible for the situation.

Last edited:

AndyMarquisLIVE

Mikeinsmd said:

Liberal media? OK Let's see: FOX News (mostly conservative), MSNBC (Mostly conservative with excpetion to Keith Olbermann), ABC (Yeah let's go to the 9-11 documentary).

I don't think ever since that documentary and the hiring of guys such as Tucker Carlson that the "liberal media" case holds.

No other pres. has had to deal with what he has on this level with the liberal media.

So the media attacked us on 9-11? The media rushed us through the Iraq war and into Baghdad? The media created Hurricane Katrina?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
So the media attacked us on 9-11? The media rushed us through the Iraq war and into Baghdad? The media created Hurricane Katrina?
Neither did Bush.
If we weren't fighting in Iraq, we'd be responding to attacks in U.S. Cities. All the middle eastern wackos that want to kill Americans are going there instead heading to New York and buying truck loads of fertilizer.

Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
aps45819 said:
Neither did Bush.
If we weren't fighting in Iraq, we'd be responding to attacks in U.S. Cities. All the middle eastern wackos that want to fight Americans are going there instead heading to Ney York and buying truck loads of fertilizer.

:clap: :yeahthat:

SamSpade

AndyMarquisLIVE said:
Liberal media? OK Let's see: FOX News (mostly conservative), MSNBC (Mostly conservative with excpetion to Keith Olbermann),

There's that bastion of conservatism, Chris Matthews...no, MSNBC is not conservative. Nor is CNN. Or Headline News. Or CBS. Or the New York Times, the Washington Post, the LA Times, the Boston Globe, the Atlanta Constitution, the - oh the hell with it.

I don't think ever since that documentary and the hiring of guys such as Tucker Carlson that the "liberal media" case holds.

Yeah, and Alan Colmes makes FOX News "liberal".:rolleyes:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
Liberal media? OK Let's see: FOX News (mostly conservative), MSNBC (Mostly conservative with excpetion to Keith Olbermann), ABC (Yeah let's go to the 9-11 documentary).
Your posts annoy the #### out of me. You seem like an intelligent person, so what's up with this???

MSNBC and ABC are NOT even remotely conservative. They are both liberal liberal liberal. Watch with an open mind for about 15 minutes and you can't hardly miss it. They may have brief blips of non-liberalism, but those blips are rapidly overshadowed by their reporters delivering DNC talking points disguised as news.

You're right.

George Bush attacked us on 9-11.

George Bush rushed us into Iraq, even though it started two presidents prior to him. 12 years in the making - rush rush rush.

And George Bush created Hurricane Katrina as well.

:rolleyes:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
vraiblonde said:
George Bush attacked us on 9-11.

George Bush rushed us into Iraq, even though it started two presidents prior to him. 12 years in the making - rush rush rush.

You can tell he's getting tired, though. That last hurricane he brewed up, to completely disable the election process in Maryland and other east coast states, turned back into a tropical storm and only did a little damage.

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:

:rolleyes:

At last you see the light! He also caused the tsunami. If you fall down and get a boo-boo on your bum, you can bet your life George Bush caused THAT, too.

It's funny to me that the argument purporting to blame George really exonerates him. George didn't cause the tsunami - nitwits who blame George for everything did that. (It's true that Arab newspapers blamed him for delaying information on news of the tsunami so that more Muslims would die - essentially the same argument people gave about blacks in New Orleans). George didn't cause 9-11; a bunch of crazy Arabs who trained for 8 years did that. He didn't cause Katrina; a tropical depression that came with a week's worth of warning time did that. It wasn't his fault that people didn't get out in time or weren't rescued in time - it was the people themselves - and the local authorities - who did that. Amazingly that Mississippi, Alabama and the rest of Louisiana managed rather well, as did Texas with Rita.

It's not his fault that the voting machines still don't work; it's not his fault there ain't peace in the Middle East; it's not his fault that people in other nations hate America, although THEIR press isn't helping much (clarification: if people in other nations have hated us for as long as they claim - you can't blame Bush who's only been around since 2001).

SamSpade

Railroad said:

Yeah, this one p*sses me off, too. Why should a terrorist - an enemy of this country - be entitled to access to secret information? Hannity and Dick Morris talked about this yesterday - *they* aren't entitled to that information because they're a "security risk" - and I *AGREE*.

Can you think of someone who ABSOLUTELY *is* a security risk? Do you think a terrorist qualifies?

What happens if he gets off? Do we make him solemnly swear not to divulge what he knows?

Geez - they might as well tell Richard Armitage.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
This war we are fighting

Does everyone remember what the largest terrorist attack on American soil was before 9/11?

The Oklahoma City Bombing, 168 Americans lost their life by a home grown lunatic.

Know what scares me most about the time around 9/11? The anthrax attacks that came.... The person who sent those envelopes could have caused much more damaged than they did, and they knew that. What ever came of that? We never hear anything about it, who was responsible for it, was it someone domestically? That was the greatest biological attack on the "homeland" and it has gone cold.

Great Wikipedia article on the antrax attacks.

The Republicans just keep pounding the thought of fear into us, how we are safer now than before the attacks. Well of course the airlines are, all it took to do that was a lock on the cockpit door and the will of citizens to fight back if someone tries to take over the plane.

I'm not sure what you expect American's to do to help in this war effort. We can bomb every Arab country out there and it won't make us a bit safer from the local wacko's who want to harm us for their own reasons....are we just sitting around waiting for the next envelope full of powder?

bdh802

Bob
Railroad said:

Amen! Railroad. You and about 95% of this country agree with you. G

alex

I think the term "war" is the wrong term to be using. According to the CONSTITUTION only Congress can declare war. I don't every remember hearing that. Yeah, they gave the president some authorization but they - the CONGRESS - never declared war.