What a great Christmas idea!

libby

You're all kidding? Less fortunate people putting things on layaway is a responsible way to try to handle Christmas! I think people using a layaway option are likely more deserving of a gift than someone at WM loaded up with Twinkies.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
You're all kidding? Less fortunate people putting things on layaway is a responsible way to try to handle Christmas! I think people using a layaway option are likely more deserving of a gift than someone at WM loaded up with Twinkies.

I have used layaway before...and would not think of myself as less forunate.... many people who use layaway find it is a nice way to store things when you have older kids in the house.. and dont want them to know about their gifts :shrug:

I have several friends that have done this.

libby

I have used layaway before...and would not think of myself as less forunate.... many people who use layaway find it is a nice way to store things when you have older kids in the house.. and dont want them to know about their gifts :shrug:

I have several friends that have done this.

I got the impression from the story that the donors specifically asked for a family that appeared to be struggling. At least, that is info I hope to get so that I don't pay off for someone who doesn't need it.
Geez, I was so excited this morning.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Anonymous Donors Pay Off Kmart Layaway Accounts Across Country | Fox News

Can't wait for the store to open! I can't afford to pay off anyone's huge bill, but I can help with smaller accounts.

Anyone else want to do this locally?

I would if I could but I'm not in the position to do this; sometimes it's not as it seems as my ex SIL put stuff on lay-a-way as she pulls in 6 figures and her hubby is probably 60-70k a yr. The reason she does this is because she over spends on a 30k camper, 4 wheelers, a boat, new clothes every month, eats out 5 times a week and spoils her kids.

It is very noble of you to want to help though. :buddies:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I got the impression from the story that the donors specifically asked for a family that appeared to be struggling. At least, that is info I hope to get so that I don't pay off for someone who doesn't need it.

how would kmart know.... and if thats the case im gonna go put stuff on layway and say im struggling

..... if you wanna help .. .i would contact a church .. or someone that has a "family" to adopt.. or a tree that has needy kids or something like that.

it gives the age and what they would like :yay:

here where i work ... every year we adopt SEVERAL families... and have a list of the ages of the kids and what they would like :yay:

Terrid76

Get that hope back out. From what I read, a lot of the donors waited until someone was making a payment or asked to pay off someone's layaway that was getting ready to be turned back in. I think either way is great and would be appreciated.

frequentflier

happy to be living

Libby, my store has been a drop off point for several years for "needy families" and this year, I know for sure we contributed to families that were not only in need but also deeply appreciated what was done for them.

Excuse me for being cynical, but in the past, I personally thought some of the people we were gathering stuff for were in many cases- better off than the people contributing. Or at the least- not as needy as they'd like people to believe. There are a lot of people out there that don't hesitate to take advantage of the goodness and generosity of others.

Personally, I help people out all year around especially if their pets need care. I hope you will continue to want to help others despite some of us cynics! Helping others does good things for your heart and soul :huggy:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I guess I don't understand why someone who can't afford it is buying "two carts of toys" in the first place. The kiddies will be disappointed but they won't die if you don't get them Christmas presents but they might if you can't afford to buy groceries or pay your electric bill. It's a matter of priorities and our priorities in this country are pretty screwed up. Bottom line is, don't buy it if you can't afford it!

nomoney

I guess I don't understand why someone who can't afford it is buying "two carts of toys" in the first place. The kiddies will be disappointed but they won't die if you don't get them Christmas presents but they might if you can't afford to buy groceries or pay your electric bill. It's a matter of priorities and our priorities in this country are pretty screwed up. Bottom line is, don't buy it if you can't afford it!

:yeahthat: reminds of this pic

Attachments

• necessity 2.jpg
    necessity 2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 126

Sweet 16

^^8^^
:yeahthat: reminds of this pic

Thank you. This is my point exactly. I have seen people living in "poverty" who have big-screen TVs, cable, PlayStations, and a roof over their heads, courtesy of U.S. taxpayers. These people don't know the meaning of poverty and yet we continue feeding their greed.

lovinmaryland

Yeah, she has quite a history on MD Case Search. And currently has to pay child support...$325 a month. She has to have income coming in then.

Dang you guys are much smarter than me :lol: I just remember reading that story about her and her husband a month or so ago.