What Are Your Memories From Two Years of the COVID Cult?

Kinnakeet

Being unfairly shamed for not wearing a mask and/or for not getting the faucci-ouchie is my biggest take away for the past 2 years sociology boondoggle. Watching people that I totally didn’t expect to succumb to peer pressure fold up like cheap chairs in a wind storm was the biggest disappointment. False Evidence Appearing Real is a thief of time and focus.
TRUTH

SamSpade

Aside from this, the in-office people get to see the work-from-home people out and about shopping or running errands during business hours and falling behind on work load yet since it is just "accepted" it is never dealt with which further fans the flame of anger amongst the in-office crowd.

To each his own. We've actually experienced a slight UPtick in production and efficiency.

Admittedly, it's government - there's always some rule or policy that is just useless AND unfair. Fortunately we've largely done away with the bizarre "practice" of "you always need at least ONE PERSON from your staff present at all times (except weekends)". That translates to things like "if everyone wants the day after Thanksgiving off, at least ONE of you has to come in". A stupid, useless policy.

What the pandemic made clear was, a great deal of our project works independently without much personal input from anyone else - like, ever. Even when we are all IN OFFICE. Staying home, coming in. Made no difference except on bad weather days - you're in on time anyway. You can even work sick, if you want to (a good situation if you tested positive for COVID).

OccamsRazor

What the pandemic made clear was, a great deal of our project works independently without much personal input from anyone else - like, ever.
My work is opposite of this and the "work from home" (the word "work" being used loosely here) has had negative effects. Many times, decisions need to be made in a timely manner in order to keep the operations flowing correctly. When people were in the office, there was the ability to walk over to their work area and get an answer. Now, you have to email these people and HOPE that they are actually available and not giving their child a bath, grooming their dog, out at Walmart, or even logged into email AT ALL THE ENTIRE DAY before you get an answer. Next thing you know, the plan slips and since you are involved with that plan, you are lumped into the conversation of "Why is this late??!!" As I said before, we have had several people counseled and even terminated due to lack of or no performance during telework.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My work is opposite of this and the "work from home" (the word "work" being used loosely here) has had negative effects. Many times, decisions need to be made in a timely manner in order to keep the operations flowing correctly. When people were in the office, there was the ability to walk over to their work area and get an answer. Now, you have to email these people and HOPE that they are actually available and not giving their child a bath, grooming their dog, out at Walmart, or even logged into email AT ALL THE ENTIRE DAY before you get an answer. Next thing you know, the plan slips and since you are involved with that plan, you are lumped into the conversation of "Why is this late??!!" As I said before, we have had several people counseled and even terminated due to lack of or no performance during telework.
Text or call. Works fine for me.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Attachments

• image-1522799930.jpg
    image-1522799930.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 34

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Odds are, if they are not responsive for emails from work.. they will also not answer calls from work. Been there, done that.
But more importantly, if they are on the clock... why are they NOT on email??
One of our subs email server went down on Friday. It was live again yesterday.

OccamsRazor

One of our subs email server went down on Friday. It was live again yesterday.
Understand. And, if you needed immediate input from a "sub" then wouldn't you expect that person to come into the office to give that input? Or, is "my email was down" an acceptable answer for days?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Understand. And, if you needed immediate input from a "sub" then wouldn't you expect that person to come into the office to give that input? Or, is "my email was down" an acceptable answer for days?
Not all of our people sit in the same building. Some are in the office, hangar, warehouse, lab, etc.

Grumpy

Not sure what the ratio is for folks that actually 'work' from home as opposed to being lazy at home but I do know that my group/org is almost 100% work from home and our productivity is way up. From what upper management is saying, we can continue working from home for the long term. Between email, Zoom, Teams, cells/texts we are available 24/7 (not that we like that). But I do see your point that some folks' dedication to their job has declined during this 'work from home' period, but you can't broadbrush it.

SamSpade

We're mostly required to be logged into Teams at all times. So you're on call all the time, and it looks bad if you're away from your desk for more than a bit.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
We're mostly required to be logged into Teams at all times. So you're on call all the time, and it looks bad if you're away from your desk for more than a bit.
I have really come to hate that application.

Way too many group chats I really do not have any part in, when, if needed, a direct email will suffice, and the lousiest call quality on a headset when they could just pick up the phone. :banghead:

And don't get me started on the Brady Bunch meeting format.

I really need to find a way to put this in as my picture instead of the camera shot.

Tesseract.gif

OccamsRazor

Not sure what the ratio is for folks that actually 'work' from home as opposed to being lazy at home but I do know that my group/org is almost 100% work from home and our productivity is way up. From what upper management is saying, we can continue working from home for the long term. Between email, Zoom, Teams, cells/texts we are available 24/7 (not that we like that). But I do see your point that some folks' dedication to their job has declined during this 'work from home' period, but you can't broadbrush it.
Broadbrush? I did start the entire post with "MY Work."

Most of us are as well... MOST. There are some that always seem to have internet, email, Teams, etc. issues.
Not all of our people sit in the same building. Some are in the office, hangar, warehouse, lab, etc.
So those who are teleworking and are needed for timely decisions but do not reply in a timely fashion... does the "my email was down" or "I didn't hear my phone ring" reasoning work for you?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Broadbrush? I did start the entire post with "MY Work."

Most of us are as well... MOST. There are some that always seem to have internet, email, Teams, etc. issues.

So those who are teleworking and are needed for timely decisions but do not reply in a timely fashion... does the "my email was down" or "I didn't hear my phone ring" reasoning work for you?
Most of my team is really good at responding. Of course, there are a few that aren't as much. But you know what, it's not my problem. If I reach out more than three times and get no response, I let my IPTL know what's going on.

OccamsRazor

Most of my team is really good at responding. Of course, there are a few that aren't as much. But you know what, it's not my problem. If I reach out more than three times and get no response, I let my IPTL know what's going on.
Unfortunately, I am not in the position to say this. But, in your rare cases that it does happen, what is typically the result? Is the person counseled? Are multiple offenders released?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Unfortunately, I am not in the position to say this. But, in your rare cases that it does happen, what is typically the result? Is the person counseled? Are multiple offenders released?
Usually, a blanket statement to the team telling them they need to respond to me. Deadlines need to be met.

DaSDGuy

I've been in a Telework status for over two years. Management has commented that our projects are being completed in less time, leaving time for other tasks to be completed. Productivity is up, job satisfaction is up. A few have had issues and have moved on. Interesting that these same few were repeatedly late for work in the morning, taking long lunches, and leaving work early to deal with some personal issue. We now have a streamlined group that is more productive with fifteen doing the work that took twenty not more than two years ago. And that is within our normal work day - no late nights at the office. Not to mention the cost savings for the government because we no longer require spaces on station to work. Also, MS Teams has given us options we never had before, such as multiple people sharing documents for viewing during meetings. Sure, we could do that before if we all brought our laptops to the conference room and waited while each person hooked up to the overhead projector, one at a time. With Teams we just switch control of the projection from one user to another. Ten can present documents for viewing easily in a one hour meeting.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But I do see your point that some folks' dedication to their job has declined during this 'work from home' period, but you can't broadbrush it.

In some respects I think this shows JOBS just don't keep you busy 100% of the time