What breed of chickens to get?

Eventer29

an update

A few weeks ago I got my chicks. They were 5 weeks old and are now 9-10 weeks old. I love my 4 girls. The barred Rock Katniss is the brave one, the buff orph Buttercup is the docile friendly one, the NH red Cinna is timid but once she decides to be friendly or nosy she likes to perch on my arm. The black Austro Rue is my most timid one, she will let me pet her and if the other girls are on my lap she will come up too. They are out in the coop full time now after spending a couple weeks of nights in the house with us. They seem to be quite content. I still like to spend a little time with them each day. I went out to sit with them in their run the other day and ended up with a lap full of chick. they all decided to hop up on my lap and take a nap..which ended when Rue pooed on me. Katniss seems to be the queen of the pack. She has to be the highest at all times and likes to try to sit on people's heads so she can survey her queendom/coop and run. She is quickly learning the word NO! People think chickens are stupid and in some ways they are pretty dumb, but in other ways they are smart. Loving my girls while they are still little. They are really starting to look like chickens now. I think I heard my first cluck yesterday instead of the little chicky peeps. Cant wait till they start laying!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
A few weeks ago I got my chicks. They were 5 weeks old and are now 9-10 weeks old. I love my 4 girls. The barred Rock Katniss is the brave one, the buff orph Buttercup is the docile friendly one, the NH red Cinna is timid but once she decides to be friendly or nosy she likes to perch on my arm. The black Austro Rue is my most timid one, she will let me pet her and if the other girls are on my lap she will come up too. They are out in the coop full time now after spending a couple weeks of nights in the house with us. They seem to be quite content. I still like to spend a little time with them each day. I went out to sit with them in their run the other day and ended up with a lap full of chick. they all decided to hop up on my lap and take a nap..which ended when Rue pooed on me. Katniss seems to be the queen of the pack. She has to be the highest at all times and likes to try to sit on people's heads so she can survey her queendom/coop and run. She is quickly learning the word NO! People think chickens are stupid and in some ways they are pretty dumb, but in other ways they are smart. Loving my girls while they are still little. They are really starting to look like chickens now. I think I heard my first cluck yesterday instead of the little chicky peeps. Cant wait till they start laying!

My house is full of peeps right now with the 5 1 week olds and the 5 others - how old are those now? 5 weeks?

Roman

My Chickens are all older now, but I spent a lot of time with them, and they still love to be held, and loved on. I never thought that Chickens are dumb, but my Husband does. They are just the cutest little things too. Enjoy them Ark!

Roman

My Chickens are all older now, but I spent a lot of time with them, and they still love to be held, and loved on. I never thought that Chickens are dumb, but my Husband does. They are just the cutest little things too. Enjoy them Ark!
You too Eventer29!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I finally have Pen #1 back in operation, although I do still have some vulnerabilities. I am hoping the predator won't be trying too hard to get in since I will surround the pen with electric fencing that will be on a timer to come on/off automatically so I don't have to worry about doing it myself. Pen #2 is already under construction.

The 8 remaining non-polish "old timers" are back in Pen #1 and I was so worried that I was out there at 4am checking on them. Those 8 gave me 5 eggs yesterday - busy girls they are. I think 1 of the 7 year olds stopped laying. She's the biggest hen by far. I bet she's over 10 lbs! The youngest 2 of the bunch are about 1 year old and the rest vary from 4-7 years old.

My Red Sex Links are growing fast. I love watching the youngsters play in the grass. They jump and fly and interact. Acting kooky like most critter youngsters. I have not handled my peeps enough since I've been so busy. A couple of them bite me (fear) when I reach for them .... talk about biting the hand that feeds you LOL

If you are looking for chickens to eat... I'd recommend the boneless ones... I buy boneless chicken from the store all the time and its so much better when the chicken doesn't have bones.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
If you are looking for chickens to eat... I'd recommend the boneless ones... I buy boneless chicken from the store all the time and its so much better when the chicken doesn't have bones.

Have you ever seen how boneless chickens get around? It's not fun to watch ....

Attachments

• funny_boneless_chicken_cartoon_flyer-p244322513375944642envxf_210.jpg
    funny_boneless_chicken_cartoon_flyer-p244322513375944642envxf_210.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 116