What businesses are missing in Southern Maryland

frequentflier

happy to be living
Really? Do you have a name? I'll make a point to go there tomorrow since I have to bring my son to Pr. Frederick.

Oh, and as for me "trying to start" a chocolate shop. That's...not going to happen. The county requires...way too much for me to deal with.

Sigh!

The owner's name is Bonnie and I think it is called "Sweet Dreams". Her shop is 2 doors up from the SPOT thrift shop stores.

red_explorer

Really? Do you have a name? I'll make a point to go there tomorrow since I have to bring my son to Pr. Frederick.

Oh, and as for me "trying to start" a chocolate shop. That's...not going to happen. The county requires...way too much for me to deal with.

Sigh!

Check with the farmers market in Lexington Park...you might be able to get in there in March. They have several people who were making pastries and all...different rules. Homegrown Market. There are several threads about it on here. Become a Vendor - Home Grown Farm Market

And I know my friend had her daughter's party at the place in St Leonard...said the kids got to mold and create chocolates and all...sounded really neat.

Last edited:

libby

I don't mean to imply anything negative by saying the chocolate isn't made there, which, BTW, I'm only making an educated guess about based on what is featured on the web site. Perhaps there is more that is not on the site, and perhaps there are some things that they make.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'd love a Trader Joe's.

For any one else wanting one, just go out to their web page and put in a request for them to consider putting one locally. If they get enough requests, they might....just might.....actually place one here.

Here is Trader Joe's Location Request Form: Trader Joe's
I go out periodically to the Store Request link on the Trader Joe's website and plug in my info.

Ya'll should do it, too. :yay:

Beta

Smile!
Here's the emergency responder in me coming out. How about a Level 1 Trauma center. That way we don't have to fly everyone to PG General or Shock Trauma in Baltimore. I always thought one could be built somewhere centerally located in So. MD.
I agree, that would be nice, but half of the people flown to PG General don't need to be. I know people that work at PG who think we're idiots down here because they get some pretty simple stuff.

I would like to invite you to visit my shop. Fenwick Street Used Books & Music in downtown Leonardtown.
you have a great shop! :yay:

A real grocery store in northern st marys like a Safeway or Giant and some restaurants in the northern section other than a mom and pop.
How do you consider Safeway and Giant "real" grocery stores, but McKay's and Food Lion aren't? They're all very similar. Everyone has their preferences, I suppose. :doh:

How about an Amish Market in a building? Crazy thought...I know. It's better than a seasonally spread out shanty town in front of the Charlotte Hall Library. Annapolis, Upper Marlboro, and Laurel already have them. Ironically, we actually have Amish folks living here...and no permanent market. Too big a leap for the local economic development people to make? How about this idea? Rather than trashing the old McKay's...turn it into a year round Amish Market. It alreadt has refrigeration and a buggy trail leading to it?
So your suggestion is to have the AMISH start paying utilities and use electricity when they're inherently against doing that? Did you bother thinking about what you wrote before clicking the reply button? Yeesh.

I go out periodically to the Store Request link on the Trader Joe's website and plug in my info.

Ya'll should do it, too. :yay:

Will do! :yay:

chefflavor

We need a real grocery store like Whole Foods or Trader Joes for us foodies. Also, better restaurants that have different foods like Greek, India, and someone who will make dishes that are challenging to our palettes.

Beta

Smile!
We need a real grocery store like Whole Foods or Trader Joes for us foodies. Also, better restaurants that have different foods like Greek, India, and someone who will make dishes that are challenging to our palettes.

How about Mom's? Nobody seems to bother trying that place, only saying they need something "better". If people don't bother going to a Mom's, or a "Good Earth", then what makes you think they'll give us an even better store like Whole Foods or Trader Joes?

As for the restaurants, there's Nikko's and a few Indian places in the tri-county area. Heck, the Lexington restaurant used to be an Indian place but NOBODY WENT THERE! Have you been to any of those places?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
How about Mom's? Nobody seems to bother trying that place, only saying they need something "better". If people don't bother going to a Mom's, or a "Good Earth", then what makes you think they'll give us an even better store like Whole Foods or Trader Joes?

As for the restaurants, there's Nikko's and a few Indian places in the tri-county area. Heck, the Lexington restaurant used to be an Indian place but NOBODY WENT THERE! Have you been to any of those places?

I always, always, forget about the Good Earth Store in Leonardtown.

It's not located near any other shop that I need to go to when I run errands, so I never go. :shrug:

I go to Nikkos, for a minor sloppy fix (which is exactly what it feels like - sloppy seconds), but she has no competition close by so she doesn't bother to hustle, she doesn't care what her presentation looks like and she doesn't care for you, the customer, in general. For a real Greek meal with a pleasant experience you have to go to LaPlata or up the road. I just don't consider Nikkos a quality dining experience.

And I've been to both Indian restaurants, and I told you when the one opened where the Roost used to be that they would fail. They weren't outstanding and they weren't consistant.

ZARA

I would love a Red Lobster down here.
I hate driving. I really hate driving to Waldorf.

Beta

Smile!
I would love a Red Lobster down here.
I hate driving. I really hate driving to Waldorf.

you have GOT to be kidding me. You're going to take a ####ty chain over the 5million quality local seafood places?

:banghead:

although I will say, they have good rolls. :coffee:

ZARA

you have GOT to be kidding me. You're going to take a ####ty chain over the 5million quality local seafood places?

:banghead:

although I will say, they have good rolls. :coffee:

The only seafood place I like here is Jerry's in PF. All the others I have been to sucka$$.

MarieB

I wAs in Mom's last week. It's nothing like Trader Joes.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I wAs in Mom's last week. It's nothing like Trader Joes.

Trader Joe's is relatively inexpensive. MOM's is over-priced organic food, which I think is a scam anyway. "Organic" is a marketing term used to entice people to pay more for a product that is no healthier and not much different than food you buy at a regular grocery store.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Trader Joe's is relatively inexpensive. MOM's is over-priced organic food, which I think is a scam anyway. "Organic" is a marketing term used to entice people to pay more for a product that is no healthier and not much different than food you buy at a regular grocery store.

A lot of the stuff MOMs sells can be found in the regular grocery stores cheaper.

MarieB

Agree for the most part. I personally feel the same, but I won't really begrudge anyone who feels that organic is a healthier choice for them and their family.

I walked out of Trader Joe's last week with 3 huge bags of groceries (including 4 bottles of wine) for a little over $100.