What do you think the Southern Maryland Area needs

Hoover

What are your ideas for some things the Southern Maryland area needs in way of Horse things - businesses, riding, websites, information, what would make things easier for you as a horse owner? Give me some????

fredsaid2

H/J clinics of varying levels given by qualified clinicians at a location with the proper facilities to host them.

HorseQueen

A XC Schooling facility

Have you looked into Cage Stables?

Home

Crofton offers non-boarders to trailer in horses and use his Cross Country courses. He has a large field full of cross country jumps, and a smaller fenced in arena with a couple larger cross country jumps.

I believe the cost is $30 for the day.

highnote

Have you looked into Cage Stables?

Home

Crofton offers non-boarders to trailer in horses and use his Cross Country courses. He has a large field full of cross country jumps, and a smaller fenced in arena with a couple larger cross country jumps.

I believe the cost is $30 for the day.

I love Cage stables for XC (mainly because of beach access!) but it isn't for everyone. The jumps are old and could use a lot of maintenance/repair. There are quite a few hidden groundhog holes. The grass isn't always kept mowed. I still think it's a great value for the fee, but I would expect a lot of people would shy away because of the safety issues.

That being said, it's been a couple of years since I was there. Maybe they've improved it a lot in the last year or two.

They do have a good variety of different types of jumps- just the homemade redneck version!

I'd pay $30/day just for access to that much beach. There's a lot of shoreline... enough to canter up & down the beach at the water's edge.

It would be nice to have a nice XC place in St Marys or even Charles. I HATE driving a trailer over the solomons bridge... eeeeekkkk!

There is a nice XC place up by DC... Frying Pan Park.

devinej

xc schooling facility would be great, and somewhere that hosts events, schooling or recognized. Yes there is marlborough, but that is once per year. Everything else is 2+ hours away. And last i checked Cage stables' jumps were pretty run down, not well kept. please correct me if that has changed.

i think we should do more educational seminars. Not just riding clinics, but seminars on vet stuff, farrier stuff, management, etc,.

More places to trail ride would be good too.

And of course riding clinics. hunters, jumpers, dressage, western.

Hoover

I agree with all of you - I have never done XC but my friend used to do it and has moved away from it from the very reason you all have posted -not enough places to practice or ride. OK so with all this being said how do we fix any of your ideas - I only do hunter/and beginner jumper. I ride at Oak Ridge mainly and have have gone to Maxwell Hall a few times. I am just healing from a bad fall. So I am looking to go back hard core. I have a great horse who loves trails and jumps. Hubby only does flat trails.

Some of you have the facilities to do events - what would be the charge for hunter/jumper events at your place???

DevineJ (hey girl how are ya) how about your place????

devinej

"my place" aka not really my place, Woodbury Equestrian Center, they did a fall hunter show series last year that went ok. Country Haven is doing a fall hunter show series.

And charge - you mean entry fees or clinic fees? I think our entries were around $10/class, less for pre-entries.
And clinics per rider range from $50 to $150+ depending on who/what is happening.

Jenerator

Hey Julie, you're right.

Cage hasn't done any maintenance or updates on the xc fences...if I was going to spend money to school, I'd take the hour trip and get up to Marlborough, etc.

The horsepeople I've met have been extremely kind and generous to me - it does seem like there's a tightly knit group of "people who know what they're doing" and they are awesome and welcoming.

We just need more of them!

Jen

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
If anyone has any suggestions my barn has a huge loft with lots of tables and chairs and I will host veterinarians or saddle fitters for a clinic..

We can grill out and I have coffee makers and cocoa stations...

If there is a serious interest, I miss my pony club days.. aww wrapping horses in the barn aisles .. identifying different types of worms.. and playing with teeth

TheHorseman

Southern MD should have it's own Horse Expo that will feature both local and national experts in all disiplines, to include vendors, seminars, etc... There are enough horse owners here to support it, we have the PG Equestrian Center, which would be a great venue.

As long as it's supoorted well, SOMD could have/bring in just about anything people would want. There are a few local barns that have very nice facilities that host clinics all the time, some have been national names such as the O'Conners (David & Karen), and others, however they don't get a lot of interest.

I'm connected with very well knew names like Chris Cox, Buck Brannaman, Bill Scott, etc..and other's who are not well known however are great horsemen with a lot of knowledge/skill, and are great teachers.

If SOMD really wants it, SOMD can get it, it just takes support from all.

fredsaid2

Southern MD should have it's own Horse Expo that will feature both local and national experts in all disiplines, to include vendors, seminars, etc... There are enough horse owners here to support it, we have the PG Equestrian Center, which would be a great venue.

As long as it's supoorted well, SOMD could have/bring in just about anything people would want. There are a few local barns that have very nice facilities that host clinics all the time, some have been national names such as the O'Conners (David & Karen), and others, however they don't get a lot of interest.

I'm connected with very well knew names like Chris Cox, Buck Brannaman, Bill Scott, etc..and other's who are not well known however are great horsemen with a lot of knowledge/skill, and are great teachers.

If SOMD really wants it, SOMD can get it, it just takes support from all.

It's already an annual event at the state fairgrounds, Maryland Horse Expo.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I know, I'm refering to a "SOMD Horse Expo", why go all the way up there when there's a facility and enough horse people here to support a SOMD Expo!

I have already talked to Denise about this (runs expo in Timonium) and she said it isn't cost effective to be able to pull the "National" talent needed to do the clinics and cover all the other associated costs involved.

Now if someone was going to do it on "local" talent scale, then maybe it could be done, but I doubt we could afford people like Kenny Harlow or similar horse people to host clinics.

fredsaid2

I have already talked to Denise about this (runs expo in Timonium) and she said it isn't cost effective to be able to pull the "National" talent needed to do the clinics and cover all the other associated costs involved.

Now if someone was going to do it on "local" talent scale, then maybe it could be done, but I doubt we could afford people like Kenny Harlow or similar horse people to host clinics.

I agree, cost is the driving issue to having an Expo on a more local scale. That's why I pointed out the duplication of the MD Expo. Clinics with local (MD-VA) trainers are a more viable option.

Hoover

If SOMD really wants it, SOMD can get it, it just takes support from all.[/QUOTE}

I agree with this and I will contact you later about it after your Rodeo in White Plains.