What does being a Christian mean to you?

That's my basic view of any religion; designed to help people cope with life.

And that's why I am not a believer because there are all sorts of ways to cope, to learn patience, to be good to other people, human nature, understanding, tolerance, self control, personal happiness. Being humans and having a natural tendency to not like being told what to do, it makes perfect sense to come up with a plan that says "I'm not telling you how to act or what to do. This much greater, higher power is instructing and guiding you, if only you will listen. You get to choose! Of course, if you choose wrong..." All religions are, at core, social constructs because they are all about how to get along with your fellow man and have no more practical utility on a personal basis than believing in anything else as motivation to feel good, to take care of ones self.

And, because I see it, organized religion, as, at core, of positive motivations and intent, I have no antagonism towards it. And, to me, it's not knowable so, for all I know I am totally wrong.

:buddies:

Well stated and liked this post for the most part.

But as we all know, religious belief often devolves into intolerance, hatred, and violence. The seeds of intolerance are evident already in many posts in this thread. Whether one chooses to believe or not, the only thing that really matters is compassion, kindness. and forgiveness to others, and to oneself.

A kind of "brotherhood of man" to borrow from John Lennon. But at my core I'm a realist, so I'm doubtful humanity will achieve this before it destroys itself. And on balance, like Lennon, I am still of the opinion that religion does more harm than good.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don't think I've ever put this down in writing before but here goes. Just my thoughts:
The word "Christian" can be used an adjective to describe someone's good values, being charitable or celebrating Christmas. All nifty things. This is being culturally Christian.
For me, becoming a Christian is when the alignment in my life changed. God came first. Not me.
I am saved because of who He is, not because of who I am.
Churches are full of judgemental turds. So are schools and supermarkets. Because we are all judgemental turds who sin all the time. Being a human is a messy business.
His grace in my life allows me the freedom to forgive myself and others. I am much more patient than I used to be.

that is awesome :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...that religion does more harm than good.

Here's the thing. 1,000 years ago, 2,000, whatever, there needed to be a unifying theme to a society to survive or it would be lost to the next group who had a unifying theme. Simple function of basic survival based on growing intellect, the ability to think your way to a solution to over come brute force.

So, eventually, you get to where the US was in 1776; an intellectual maturation that competing faiths could find harmony, that the literalism of the past was no longer necessary as the general population became more and more enlightened. So, faith was becoming a personal, rather than a collective, thing.

Lennon, that idea, has an argument to be made today but, it must square itself with what would have replaced it 1-2,000 years ago.

Here's the thing. 1,000 years ago, 2,000, whatever, there needed to be a unifying theme to a society to survive or it would be lost to the next group who had a unifying theme. Simple function of basic survival based on growing intellect, the ability to think your way to a solution to over come brute force.

So, eventually, you get to where the US was in 1776; an intellectual maturation that competing faiths could find harmony, that the literalism of the past was no longer necessary as the general population became more and more enlightened. So, faith was becoming a personal, rather than a collective, thing.

Lennon, that idea, has an argument to be made today but, it must square itself with what would have replaced it 1-2,000 years ago.

An interesting take. Can't say that I subscribe to it but it has got me thinking. I'm inclined to disagree with the assertion that a unifying theme 2000 years ago, in the form of religion, was a good thing that was somehow necessary for survival. What if a unifying theme of science could have taken hold instead? Could the human species be unified around science? Maybe unlikely to happen in the bronze age when humans knew very little and attributing circumstances to myth and the supernatural, seemed to be, well, the natural thing to do. But I would posit the human species would have a much better chance of survival if that were true today.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
An interesting take. Can't say that I subscribe to it but it has got me thinking. I'm inclined to disagree with the assertion that a unifying theme 2000 years ago, in the form of religion, was a good thing that was somehow necessary for survival. What if a unifying theme of science could have taken hold instead? Could the human species be unified around science? Maybe unlikely to happen in the bronze age when humans knew very little and attributing circumstances to myth and the supernatural, seemed to be, well, the natural thing to do. But I would posit the human species would have a much better chance of survival if that were true today.

What was easier years ago, the bogey man or a hypothesis? Frankly, now that you mention it, religion WAS science back in the day. "This is thus. Gods will!" Frankly, it goes on today, readily observable in the man made global cool warming climate change faith. "This is because we want and believe to be!"

mAlice

professional daydreamer

It was more than unification, and their basic survival was attributed to the commandments, not growing intellect. While that statement can certainly be found arguable by some, it is still worth considering. The Israelites received over 600 commandments (laws). Breaking some of the laws could have been the difference between life and death, just as breaking some of them today, could mean the difference between life and death, and I'm not talking about your spiritual life.

http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm

It was more than unification, and their basic survival was attributed to the commandments, not growing intellect. While that statement can certainly be found arguable by some, it is still worth considering. The Israelites received over 600 commandments (laws). Breaking some of the laws could have been the difference between life and death, just as breaking some of them today, could mean the difference between life and death, and I'm not talking about your spiritual life.

http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm

Let's not forget there were many other civilizations, some much more advanced like the Chinese (not to mention the Romans), that were doing just fine without any Judeo-Christian moral construct. And regarding the Israelites, I just can't buy the assertion that "their basic survival was attributed to the commandments".

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Let's not forget there were many other civilizations, some much more advanced like the Chinese (not to mention the Romans), that were doing just fine without any Judeo-Christian moral construct. And regarding the Israelites, I just can't buy the assertion that "their basic survival was attributed to the commandments".

Well, they didn't live in China.

Well, they didn't live in China.

Scratching my head and wondering what point you're trying to make. And going back to your previous post, I'm wondering how you feel about all these laws, most of which are pure dogma that have nothing to do with survival or being a good human being...just pure obedience to a totalitarian supernatural.

I wonder how true faith can be tolerant. I don't think it can. What is your view?

hotcoffee

When you get a call from the surgeon and she says the cancer is terminal.... and you have hope....

After all, what's the worst that can happen.... Heaven?

:coffee:

Dondi

Dondi
"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." - James 1:27

What do you supposed James meant by this? You can talk about sin and how Jesus came to save the world on the Cross. But the greater picture here, what needs to be understood, is that all the forgiveness of sin in the world is not going to change anything unless it is accompanied by a change in the way we treat one another. James goes on to sayin the next chapter that your faith in God is absolutely no good unless it is accompanied by actions that reflect that faith.

"If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." - James 2:15-17

Jesus didn't die on the Cross merely to forgive your sins, but rather reiterate everything that the law and the prophets summerized: "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." That is the fulfillment of the law. If you don't have that, then you don't have faith. If you are not willing to be "Christ' to people...visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction (or what ever passion you can find in yourself in whatever capacity to serve)...then you simply don't have faith. And keeping oneself unspotted from the world isn't about trying to keep the law, rather it's trying to live with people peacefully and cooperatively as much as is possible without doing each other harm.

And that is what Christianity must be.

What are you doing as a Christian to bring this about? That is the question in must always ask myself.

Last edited:

hotcoffee

It's personal....

I've been a Christian all my life. I loved singing in the choir. I loved the ladies who taught Bible School. I'll never forget a couple of the craft projects I learned to make in Vacation Bible School

I loved seeing pictures of Jesus. He was so handsome.... I knew He was nice. He was what I was looking for in my life. I knew it as a toddler. Just seeing those pictures on the walls of the Bible Study classrooms.

I can remember a morning, I was in my late 20's, after my children were taken by their father and grandmother, when I felt really really low. Then I felt an arm around my shoulders. I knew everything was going to be alright. Amazing Grace.... I sang it to the sunrise.

These events have been happening since I was a child. I am a Christian. First.....

http://biblehub.com/joshua/24-15.htm"]http://biblehub.com/joshua/24-15.htm[/URL]

As for me and my house..... we serve the Lord. We're happy to say it. Just knowing that what I am doing is right..... it makes all the difference in the world. I love being adopted into the family of true believers. Because I enjoy believing that Jesus is watching out for me.... and has a place for me when I leave here..... As a Christian.... Jesus is the best big brother or them all.

That's what being a Christian means to me.....

:coffee:

Last edited:
In light of our recent forumite conversions, I got to thinking about what it actually means to "find Jesus". Does it mean you now have to be nice to people, more charitable and less hostile? Do you stop drinking, cussing, and having premarital sex? What exactly does it mean to embrace God and accept Jesus as your savior?

I'll be honest: a few of the people congratulating their new flock mates are some of the nastiest people on this forum. People who make unprovoked attacks on others and are generally hostile, don't really contribute anything positive to the board. So, seriously, I'm confused as to what it means to be a Christian. This is not meant to start a bunch of crap, although I'm sure (like everything else) it will, but I would seriously like the Christians on here to tell me what it means to them. Is just saying you believe in God and Jesus enough, or do you have to prove it in some way; maybe live by the teachings of Christ? Or is God content with you simply believing in Him?

Again, this is a real question. I understand everyone's answer will be different, and that's cool - faith isn't one size fits all.

I think being a Christian means living a good life. But I see some of the biggest hypocrites each sunday in the front row. I think they think they can be evil all week, then show up at church and have all their sins washed away. I'm pretty sure that's not how God wants us to live.

inkah

Does anything change if the focus shifts from what it is, to how did you get there? I wonder how people got to be "christians". Once you become one, how do you stay a Christian?

Christy

b*tch rocket
If those are the traits you expect to find in people, you will find them. On the other hand, if you expect to find generosity, kindness, compassion, well then you will find those traits instead. One's pre-determined mindset influences one's perceptions and personal 'reality'.

Well that's a load of horse ####. Also, perceptions are NOT reality. That mindset makes me insane, because it is false, and people like that tend to surround themselves with phony individuals. Take movie stars for example. They surround themselves with individuals who will tell them how smart they are, and how generous and compassionate they are, when most are narcissistic crazy people who really don't care about anyone but themselves and sustain themselves with bull####.

I suspect my definition of horrible is very different than most. I view horrible as failing each other in one way or another, and we've all done that. If you don't ever think that you were horrible for failing a friend, family member, or a child in some way shape or form, you're one of those crazy people who twists their brain (and their perception of reality) into something that is false.

I'm not afraid to say I'm a horrible person, because I am sometimes. When you ignore that about yourself, that is where you start to fall short because perfect people never strive to be better, they're content with where they are and do very little to be a better human being.

JMHO. :shrug:

mamatutu

mama to two
Well that's a load of horse ####. Also, perceptions are NOT reality. That mindset makes me insane, because it is false, and people like that tend to surround themselves with phony individuals. Take movie stars for example. They surround themselves with individuals who will tell them how smart they are, and how generous and compassionate they are, when most are narcissistic crazy people who really don't care about anyone but themselves and sustain themselves with bull####.

I suspect my definition of horrible is very different than most. I view horrible as failing each other in one way or another, and we've all done that. If you don't ever think that you were horrible for failing a friend, family member, or a child in some way shape or form, you're one of those crazy people who twists their brain (and their perception of reality) into something that is false.

I'm not afraid to say I'm a horrible person, because I am sometimes. When you ignore that about yourself, that is where you start to fall short because perfect people never strive to be better, they're content with where they are and do very little to be a better human being.

JMHO. :shrug:

:like: a lot! You always seem to speak your mind even if it may be against the norm, or what people do not want to hear. I admire that. Your post is very insightful.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I think being a Christian means living a good life. But I see some of the biggest hypocrites each sunday in the front row. I think they think they can be evil all week, then show up at church and have all their sins washed away. I'm pretty sure that's not how God wants us to live.

Well aren't you just sitting in the back being all judgmental about others. Jesus came for the sinners not the saints. Leave the hypocrites alone. You never know, God may have invited them to sit in the front. Their journey is their own, as is yours. :coffee: