What happened to the politics of conviction?

Nancyro

How many Democrats have ever voted for a Republican, and vice versa? Does loyalty to party trump everything else? For example, President Bush backed Arlen Specter (a Republican in name only) over Pat Toomey (a solid conservative) because the former had a better chance than the latter of keeping the Pennsylvania senate seat in GOP hands.

But the president's "win" may prove a pyrrhic victory. So is it better to lose with your principles intact than to win at all costs?

http://www.centristcoalition.com

===

K

Kain99

Awwwww... Lookie guys! We have a newbie who started just like I did. Welcome! We will have you tucked in the fold in no time. :huggy:

C

czygvtwkr

Listening to the campaign ads in PA it sure made it seem like Spector was an ultra conservative....

I was a democrat that voted mostly democrat then I went to college and saw what liberal really ment so I switched to non affiliated because the "Christian Right" is just as bad as the liberal left. I mostly vote republican now though.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
What happened to the politics of conviction?

See "Mandel, Marvin; Trafficant, James". :lol:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Nancyro said:
But the president's "win" may prove a pyrrhic victory.

Which is what the dishonorable liberals have been predicting since January 20, 2001. They have yet to be proven right.

B

Bruzilla

Lenny said:
Which is what the dishonorable liberals have been predicting since January 20, 2001. They have yet to be proven right.

I think they've been proven right. Specter isn't going to be much of a help in the judicial process, a fact that was well known before he got the nod. Now you have Bill Frist worrying more about staying at the head of the Senate rather than doing the job of getting things done. He's one of the biggest political cowards I've ever seen.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
rraley said:
Some here consider any person just to the left of Strom Thrumond a "liberal."
....or anyone who begins their first forum thread with a link to a URL to a political front organ like Centrist American Patriots Alliance, etc.

Nancyro

"In our democracy, no power is more potent than dependable, relevant and well-organized information about candidates for public office in the hands of voters before Election Day. Objective facts detailing candidates' backgrounds and issue positions and a reliable impartial source to contact with questions are a voter's only self-defense against current political campaign abuses. The source for this information must be a totally independent nonpartisan and objective entity that always puts the interest of the voter first and provides its service free of cost with easy and instant access for everyone."

Interesting site:

http://www.vote-smart.org/program_about_pvs.php

Just give us some truth! (i.e., the facts)

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Nancyro said:
"In our democracy, no power is more potent than dependable, relevant and well-organized information about candidates for public office in the hands of voters before Election Day. Objective facts detailing candidates' backgrounds and issue positions and a reliable impartial source to contact with questions are a voter's only self-defense against current political campaign abuses. The source for this information must be a totally independent nonpartisan and objective entity that always puts the interest of the voter first and provides its service free of cost with easy and instant access for everyone."

I don't think it possible to get non patisan objective facts about any candidate for any office. Even our news stations are polarized and the heart of political science is deception.

But I'm also a devot cynic.

Nancyro

I don't think it possible to get non patisan objective facts about any candidate for any office. Even our news stations are polarized and the heart of political science is deception.

The key word is get. Getting objective facts is harder when those dispensing the information aren't giving us objective facts. The providers of information -- i.e., the news media -- need to have their feet held to the fire.

So on one hand, yes "our news stations are polarized" ... but it is possible to get "nonpartisan objective facts" if we do more to demand them.

-

Last edited:
D

dems4me

Nancyro said:
The key word is get. Getting objective facts is harder when those dispensing the information aren't giving us objective facts. The providers of information -- i.e., the news media -- need to have their feet held to the fire.

So on one hand, yes "our news stations are polarized" ... but it is possible to get "nonpartisan objective facts" if we do more to demand them.

-

Nancy, may I offer some advice? And, I realy don't mean this the wrong way, but if you are not a republican, you might want to peruse the other threads in this forums that are just as lively, fun and informative... if not you will spend countless hours :banghead: :banghead: in anger, frustration, disbelief and more frustration in here - it's like children of the corn or the stepford wives or something... can't put my finger on it. :shrug: :flowers: :huggy: :huggy: :huggy: :huggy:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
Nancy, may I offer some advice? And, I realy don't mean this the wrong way, but if you are not a republican, you might want to peruse the other threads in this forums that are just as lively, fun and informative... if not you will spend countless hours :banghead: :banghead: in anger, frustration, disbelief and more frustration in here - it's like children of the corn or the stepford wives or something... can't put my finger on it. :shrug: :flowers: :huggy: :huggy: :huggy: :huggy:
Dems, I think Nancy has raised some very valid points. It does not matter whether she is "liberal" or "conservative", the fact is the majority of the news media is biased. Getting the true facts is hard. Everything is sound bites and out of context. Politicians, most lawyers, are good at saying lots of words without much meaning. the average person gets lost in the verbiage and thinks he hears what he wants to hear. Politicians rely on that.

willie

2ndAmendment said:
Dems, I think Nancy has raised some very valid points. It does not matter whether she is "liberal" or "conservative", the fact is the majority of the news media is biased. Getting the true facts is hard. Everything is sound bites and out of context. Politicians, most lawyers, are good at saying lots of words without much meaning. the average person gets lost in the verbiage and thinks he hears what he wants to hear. Politicians rely on that.
:yeahthat:
Very good points but presenting unbiased facts sounds like wishful thinking. It can't be worse than what we have.

D

dems4me

willie said:
:yeahthat:
Very good points but presenting unbiased facts sounds like wishful thinking. It can't be worse than what we have.

:yeahthat: to your :yeahthat: to 2A's 2 !! :clap: