What kind of spider is this?

W

wopazia

Finding these spiders around the outside of my house, especially by my doors. The one in the picture is around 3x2 inches. Very fast. Does anyone know what kind they are? Please tell me they aren't poisonous.:lalala:

Attachments

• spider 1.jpg
    spider 1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 483
  • spider 2.jpg
    spider 2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 235
Finding these spiders around the outside of my house, especially by my doors. The one in the picture is around 3x2 inches. Very fast. Does anyone know what kind they are? Please tell me they aren't poisonous.:lalala:

Wolf spider, they can inject venom, but not considered harmful to humans.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Wolf spider.

Yipe it is, and they will come in the house if it gets cold and they can bite. They are normally good guys though, so just chase them away. They carry their egg sac around, so if you see one dragging a big white bag, it probably has 10,000 little spiders in it.

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
The wolf spider can bite and is venomous but it's venom is considered relatively harmless to humans.
I think all spiders are considered venomous. Some are more toxic to humans than others.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Killed one in my kitchen a few weeks ago. It was stalking my cat. Cat was oblivious. It was very early morning of a school day because my daughter was about to put her breakfast in the micro when I caught sight of it. It was so huge I just yelled "huge freaking spider" and she took off like a shot out of that room and down the hall screaming the whole way. She never saw it, just figured if I yelled it was big. When hit with the flip flop its legs went waaayyyyyy out then it just crumpled. Then the cat smacked it once it was dead.

Go out in the woods at night or even around your shrubs etc. Shine a flashlight around and see how many green eyes are on the ground watching you. Pretty cool. Wolf spiders on the hunt!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Killed one in my kitchen a few weeks ago. It was stalking my cat. Cat was oblivious. It was very early morning of a school day because my daughter was about to put her breakfast in the micro when I caught sight of it. It was so huge I just yelled "huge freaking spider" and she took off like a shot out of that room and down the hall screaming the whole way. She never saw it, just figured if I yelled it was big. When hit with the flip flop its legs went waaayyyyyy out then it just crumpled. Then the cat smacked it once it was dead.
Great story. :lol:

belvak

Happy Camper
We had one inside the front door night before last. I politely requested that Hubby remove or squash him, so he tossed him out the door. The next morning as we were heading out to work, I went to walk out the front door and it was back!!!!!!! :jameo: I told Hubby that if that thing was inside again when we got home, it was going to meet with a very large spatula, and he was likely to follow it!!!!

lam2

tickled~pink
A couple of years ago I went to get in the shower and there was one in the folds of the shower curtain!

They are really big and nasty looking.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
If you smack it and it has an egg sac on it, lookout, 10,000 spiders. So don't smack it in the house or you will have 10,000 little ones running around.

See Picture here:

Wolf spider (Lycosa emuncta) with egg sac | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Video Here:

Baby Wolf Spiders on Vimeo

YouTube Mother and Babies

After mating, the female wolf spider seeks an isolated, covered location within which to lay her eggs. Females lay approximately 100 eggs at a time, which they encase in silk sacs. Wolf spiders are protective of their eggs and, unlike other spider species, carry these spherical sacs on their spinnerets.

When eggs are ready to hatch, the female wolf spider rips the egg sac open in order to release her spiderlings. Spiderlings then swarm the female's body and legs, latching onto specialized hairs that grow upon her abdomen. They remain with the female for one month, at which point wolf spiderlings disperse by ballooning or falling to the ground. They are then ready to begin fending for themselves.

Wolf Spider Egg

Ok, so it is only a hundred, but it sure looks like more.

They will stand their ground too. you have to push them away since they will not run away.

Last edited:

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
We had one inside the front door night before last. I politely requested that Hubby remove or squash him, so he tossed him out the door. The next morning as we were heading out to work, I went to walk out the front door and it was back!!!!!!! :jameo: I told Hubby that if that thing was inside again when we got home, it was going to meet with a very large spatula, and he was likely to follow it!!!!

I HATE SPIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if i asked mine to do that he says "sweeite they eat other bugs" and i come back with "well if u dont kill it 'those" other bugs will be eatin you" lmao lol

Last edited: