What should I do?

citysherry

I Need a Beer
While shopping on Friday, one of my little ones found a wallet. I attempted to find the owner but we were at one of those large outlet shopping malls across the Bay Bridge. I contacted security at the mall to aks if anyone had reported a lost wallet and no one had - I left my name and phone numbers with security and kept the wallet...I didn’t feel comfortable leaving it with this particular security guard and there was a considerable amount of cash in it. I pulled out the drivers license and called 411 to get a phone number at the address listed thereon and got an answering machine and I believe it was this guy’s parents house - I left my cell/home phone numbers. So, now its Tuesday and I haven’t gotten a call yet about the wallet - maybe this family is on vacation; I pulled out another ID card which is military ID. Should I just (1) hang onto the wallet, (2) go ahead and mail it to what I believe is his parents house or (3) mail it to the military base listed on the ID card?

Kerad

citysherry said:
While shopping on Friday, one of my little ones found a wallet. I attempted to find the owner but we were at one of those large outlet shopping malls across the Bay Bridge. I contacted security at the mall to aks if anyone had reported a lost wallet and no one had - I left my name and phone numbers with security and kept the wallet...I didn’t feel comfortable leaving it with this particular security guard and there was a considerable amount of cash in it. I pulled out the drivers license and called 411 to get a phone number at the address listed thereon and got an answering machine and I believe it was this guy’s parents house - I left my cell/home phone numbers. So, now its Tuesday and I haven’t gotten a call yet about the wallet - maybe this family is on vacation; I pulled out another ID card which is military ID. Should I just (1) hang onto the wallet, (2) go ahead and mail it to what I believe is his parents house or (3) mail it to the military base listed on the ID card?

What branch of the military is it...which base is listed?

Nanny Pam

I have this hang-up about trusting people.
Therefore, my answer is keep the wallet till you hear from the dude who lost it. I'm sure he will call. (probably on vacation.)

If 2 weeks go by and you haven't heard from him, call the base.

JMHO

itsbob

I bowl overhand
CandyRain said:
You should take it to the police.
Nope, how would the owner know where to look for it at.

I think she had the right idea of finding a phone number, and would try again.

Google the name and address see if you get anymore information..

I (having lost my wallet last year) would be forever grateful if someone looked for and found me so I could retrieve my wallet.

For one thing, apparently we have an honest person here that wants to return the wallet complete with the cash to the owner.. not everyone (including cops) is that honest. I would trust the cash to nobody else.

ANd KUDO's to you for trying to do the right thing.

CandyRain

itsbob said:

I (having lost my wallet last year) would be forever grateful if someone looked for and found me so I could retrieve my wallet.

For one thing, apparently we have an honest person here that wants to return the wallet complete with the cash to the owner.. not everyone (including cops) is that honest. I would trust the cash to nobody else.

The police should be the first place you call. If your car is stolen, you call the police. If your house is broken into, you call the police. If your child is missing, you call the police. :crazy:

citysherry

I Need a Beer
itsbob said:

Thank you. And it is turning out to be a great lesson for my two chicklets in honesty and doing the right thing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nanny Pam said:
I have this hang-up about trusting people.
Therefore, my answer is keep the wallet till you hear from the dude who lost it. I'm sure he will call. (probably on vacation.)

If 2 weeks go by and you haven't heard from him, call the base.

JMHO
I agree with this. If you really want to be a good samaritan, you can call Belvoir and have them run the guy down for you. But I wouldn't turn it in to the police.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
I agree with this. If you really want to be a good samaritan, you can call Belvoir and have them run the guy down for you. But I wouldn't turn it in to the police.

:yeahthat: Ask for the base locator.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
citysherry said:
Air Force - Fort Belvoir
Ft Belvoir and AF!?? Geeze, these inter-agency relationships have to stop.. we're going to end up with a bunch of idiot servicemen if they don't stop this intermingling now!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
CandyRain said:
The police should be the first place you call. If your car is stolen, you call the police. If your house is broken into, you call the police. If your child is missing, you call the police. :crazy:
OK, he lost his wallet.. does he know WHEN he lost it?? If he doesn't know when he lost it, would he know where he lost it? Do you check the State Police, the County or the local popo??

It will be much easier for the wallet loser to find her then the whichever police dept she may choose to drop it off at.

I was in a different county when I realized I lost my wallet.. I THINK I know where I lost it, but not entirely sure. It could have been in any of 5 towns and two counties between two different gas stations..

CandyRain

itsbob said:
OK, he lost his wallet.. does he know WHEN he lost it?? If he doesn't know when he lost it, would he know where he lost it? Do you check the State Police, the County or the local popo??

It will be much easier for the wallet loser to find her then the whichever police dept she may choose to drop it off at.

I was in a different county when I realized I lost my wallet.. I THINK I know where I lost it, but not entirely sure. It could have been in any of 5 towns and two counties between two different gas stations..
None of that matters. The point is, you take it to the police and they track you down. It doesn't matter what state, county, province...they have your address on your ID and they have the means to find you. :smack:

Kerad

citysherry said:
Air Force - Fort Belvoir

Air Force at Fort Belvoir? Possible. I have access to the global email address list for the Air Force (when I'm at work...for only 5 more minutes. Otherwise from 0730-1600, M-F). If you PM me the name, I can look it up and see if he's listed. If so, it would be easy to call his work center and see if anyone knows how to get a hold of him.

Other than that, you could call his credit card's 1-800 number. If he's smart, he would call them to cancel. They can flag the account, and have him call you. I think.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
CandyRain said:
None of that matters. The point is, you take it to the police and they track you down. It doesn't matter what state, county, province...they have your address on your ID and they have the means to find you. :smack:
How much time do you think a Police Dept has to spend on finding the rightful owner of a wallet? Especially if they are out of town, not in their jurisdiction, etc.. They would try what she did, make ONE phone call, then throw it in the bin with the rest, then get onto the important matters of the day IF they even make that one phone call.

A lost wallet is a HUGE deal for me if it's mine, but not so for them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Kerad said:
Air Force at Fort Belvoir? Possible. I have access to the global email address list for the Air Force (when I'm at work...for only 5 more minutes. Otherwise from 0730-1600, M-F). If you PM me the name, I can look it up and see if he's listed. If so, it would be easy to call his work center and see if anyone knows how to get a hold of him.

Other than that, you could call his credit card's 1-800 number. If he's smart, he would call them to cancel. They can flag the account, and have him call you. I think.
I was wondering if anyone was on the AF mail.. was thinking, shame he wasn't in the Navy, one of us could find him for sure!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
CandyRain said:
None of that matters. The point is, you take it to the police and they track you down. It doesn't matter what state, county, province...they have your address on your ID and they have the means to find you.
They're not going to do that :rolleyes: They're going to do like Bob said and toss it in a bin and forget about it.

CandyRain

itsbob said:
They would try what she did, make ONE phone call,

EXACTLY and then the onus is on the owner and the responsibility is off of the finder. If she keeps it, she'll keep calling and worrying and wondering. At least if she gives it to the authorities, she can have peace of mind that she did the right thing. :yay:

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Kerad said:

Well, this is what I've found out so far, one of his parents is military - retired Lt.Col. Air Force...I wasn't given this info over the phone but the voice on the other end said re-read the card to me. In any event, this guy's parent will be contacted and given my info.