What steps do you go through to get married?

NOTSMC

Subject came up last night. I know you apply for the license. I know you go before someone official. BF says you're not officially married when you say the I do's. It's not official until the marriage certificate is signed. I asked when do you sign it...don't remember doing that when I got married. Neither did he.

So when is it official? I know the officiant has to sign it. Do both parties sign? If the officiant doesn't sign or one of the other parties doesn't sign are you sitll considered married?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In order to be married in the eyes of the government both parties and the officiant have to sign a marriage certificate, which gets filed with the court making the marriage legal. How you'd find out if you're legally married is contact vital statistics in the county you were married in. They'll have your marriage certificate same as your birth certificate or any other legal document.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Subject came up last night. I know you apply for the license. I know you go before someone official. BF says you're not officially married when you say the I do's. It's not official until the marriage certificate is signed. I asked when do you sign it...don't remember doing that when I got married. Neither did he.

So when is it official? I know the officiant has to sign it. Do both parties sign? If the officiant doesn't sign or one of the other parties doesn't sign are you sitll considered married?
Congrats on your marriage, even though you didn't know it.

NOTSMC

You do know that they make a pill for that, right? It's still not too late.

Congratulations! :cheers:
For what? We didn't get married, we didn't even have a discussion. I don't even know how the conversation got started. He merely said you're not officially married when you say the vows; it's not official until you sign the certificate and I said when do you sign it, after the ceremony or something, don't remember doing that. He didn't remember doing it either.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure I EVER want to get married again and he's been married twice, both fairly lengthy amounts of time. He's only been divorced about two years now. I hope he wants to remain with me for as long as he happy. I also hope he wants to remain single for a while and enjoy the hell out of himself. He's a really good guy. He deserves it.

Edit: what's the pill for?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
I recall signing the marriage certificate after the Minister married us. :yay:

No mas. No reason.

Besides, I already have my retirement plans to collect the Ex's SS when I retire, because his will be more than mine. :jet:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
For what? We didn't get married, we didn't even have a discussion. I don't even know how the conversation got started. He merely said you're not officially married when you say the vows; it's not official until you sign the certificate and I said when do you sign it, after the ceremony or something, don't remember doing that. He didn't remember doing it either.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure I EVER want to get married again and he's been married twice, both fairly lengthy amounts of time. He's only been divorced about two years now. I hope he wants to remain with me for as long as he happy. I also hope he wants to remain single for a while and enjoy the hell out of himself. He's a really good guy. He deserves it.

Edit: what's the pill for?
It was another poorly executed joke about RU-486. I've got to learn to resist the urge to post when I'm not quite fully awake.

I'm happy that you're happy. That's all that matters. :huggy:

NOTSMC

It was another poorly executed joke about RU-486. I've got to learn to resist the urge to post when I'm not quite fully awake.

I'm happy that you're happy. That's all that matters. :huggy:
Oh god. I don't know what RU-486 is either. Sigh...looking it up.