What to do...what to do. Need your opinion ladies.

bulldog

I'm in my 40s (not that it matters) and divorced. Currently in a long term relationship with someone and we plan to get married in the not too distant future. Here is where I need some advice.
Way back when...I use to run marathons and other smaller races building up to marathons. As a matter of tradition, at each race they would present you with a T-Shirt for that particular run. They were usually logo type shirts that had a big print on the front of back...sorry, but I don't know how else to explain it. Anyway...after about 25 of these runs, my then wife (now ex) took all of the shirts (with my permission) and cut out the print/patch/logo...and sewed them all together to make a big quilt. On the back she stiched some endearing remark like All my love....and her name. I've kept it for years, but never exposed it to my new sweetie.
Well, we have recently purchased a home together and will be moving at the beginning of the month. We have agreed to my having a "man room" where I can do/display anything I want. I'd really like to display the quilt (REMOVING THE SENTIMENTALS....of course). I know she'll ask where I got it and of course I'd answer honestly. My question is...how would you take it? It has nothing to do with my ex making it for me and everything to do with wanting to keep the shirts as a memory of those races.
What say you ladies? Would I be a jerk for keeping it or am I justified in holding on to some of my past.
By the way...she still has some stuff that her ex bought her...although she never wears it.
Thanks for any input.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
bulldog said:
I know she'll ask where I got it and of course I'd answer honestly. My question is...how would you take it?
I would say, "What a cool idea!" and that would be the end of it. :shrug:

But there are a lot of women who would lose their fool minds and demand that you get rid of it. Only you know if your girlfriend is this type or not.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
The past is the past.........she should be adult enough to understand how much it means to you. Be honest and tell her, you will probably be surprised at her response.

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:

:yeahthat: We still have hand made Christmas ornaments we hang on our tree that were made by my husband's ex. :shrug:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:

But there are a lot of women who would lose their fool minds and demand that you get rid of it. Only you know if your girlfriend is this type or not.
Abso-tively!!! :clap:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I had breakfast yesterday with Ott's ex and Ott and Ott's daughter. And THEN we had dinner with the ex, her husband, the ex's mom & dad. And THEN we all hugged and kissed goodbye. :jet:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
CMC122 said:
I don't see what the big deal would be.
:yeahthat: My ex's man room had all kinds of stuff in it that I didn't necessarily approve of, but it was his space and his things - not mine. So I kept my mouth shut and stayed out of that room. It's a matter of being an adult and trusting your partner.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
cattitude said:
I had breakfast yesterday with Ott's ex and Ott and Ott's daughter. And THEN we had dinner with the ex, her husband, the ex's mom & dad. And THEN we all hugged and kissed goodbye. :jet:
That's the way my parents/step parents are. Makes for a very happy family. :lol:

P

PelyKat

If it's a problem, She can cut the top off (the t-shirt part), and hang that. All the sentiment is gone, and the rest is just about you and what you acheived. That should be acceptable.

morganj614

If it's your man room, post a "no girls allowed" sign on it :yay:

Attachments

• image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 67

CandyRain

bulldog said:
I'm in my 40s (not that it matters) and divorced. Currently in a long term relationship with someone and we plan to get married in the not too distant future. Here is where I need some advice.
Way back when...I use to run marathons and other smaller races building up to marathons. As a matter of tradition, at each race they would present you with a T-Shirt for that particular run. They were usually logo type shirts that had a big print on the front of back...sorry, but I don't know how else to explain it. Anyway...after about 25 of these runs, my then wife (now ex) took all of the shirts (with my permission) and cut out the print/patch/logo...and sewed them all together to make a big quilt. On the back she stiched some endearing remark like All my love....and her name. I've kept it for years, but never exposed it to my new sweetie.
Well, we have recently purchased a home together and will be moving at the beginning of the month. We have agreed to my having a "man room" where I can do/display anything I want. I'd really like to display the quilt (REMOVING THE SENTIMENTALS....of course). I know she'll ask where I got it and of course I'd answer honestly. My question is...how would you take it? It has nothing to do with my ex making it for me and everything to do with wanting to keep the shirts as a memory of those races.
What say you ladies? Would I be a jerk for keeping it or am I justified in holding on to some of my past.
By the way...she still has some stuff that her ex bought her...although she never wears it.
Thanks for any input.

How she reacts has nothing to do with your ex making it but everything to do with how she feels in your relationship. My ex-husband could've draped a flag with his ex's picture on it and I wouldn't have blinked an eye. My ex-boyfriend, however, only had to mention he once had an ex and I was :burning: and :jameo: and :crazy:.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
morganj614 said:
If it's your man room, post a "no girls allowed" sign on it :yay:

:yeahthat: He could do like my grandson "NO girl cooties allowed in here" -- sign on his door, and in pretty pink "NO boys in this room" on my granddaughter's door.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I have an oil painting in the livrm that the ex made a frame for and put a little metal tag on it that says TO xxxx, all my love xxxxxx. I still have it hanging on the wall. If I remove the tag it will leave a mark, so hubby now has to get over it, not that it bothers him. I say keep the quilt just the way it is.