What Would an ‘Open Borders’ World Actually Look Like?

Chris0nllyn

What's it called, "Broken windows theory"? That once there is sign of decay and lack of order, it encourages further decay and disorder? That's what "open borders" would look like: the worst of the world.

Doesn't Europe have open borders?

I tell ya, when I drove from Germany to Switzerland or Germany to France, it looked the same.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

I tell ya, when I drove from Germany to Switzerland or Germany to France, it looked the same.
With the advent of the EU, sort of (Schengen Agreement), but those from outside the EU or EFTA must still enter via legal ports and methods of entry.

Hijinx

Does Switzerland have thousands of Germans in caravans invading their country to get food stamps?
Are the French lining up to invade Germany for menial jobs or welfare?
Do the Swiss have thousands wanting to migrate to Germany so they can have their children be anchor babies.?

We see what migration has done to the UK, they will be part of the Caliphate in a few years.

Reactions: BOP

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Does Switzerland have thousands of Germans in caravans invading their country to get food stamps?
Do the Swiss have thousands wanting to migrate to Germany so they can have their children be anchor babies.?

No the HORDES are coming from Syria

and that 'fascist' in Hungary put up a FENCE to block them

somdwatch

A
White Flight happened because the extant homeowners knew the property values would plummet when the racial makeup of the neighborhood changed. And they were right.
The democrats were right about one thing with Desegregation of schools. "We'll have to teach to a lower level" How quickly they proved themselves correct.

Chris0nllyn

We see what migration has done to the UK, they will be part of the Caliphate in a few years.
Ask any German about the Turks.

No, they don't. They have immigration policies and procedures and laws.
I didn't go through any checkpoints or get any visas to drive over the Rein River. I walked from Germany into Switzerland and back with no one asking what citizen I'm a country of. No random road blocks.

I understand they have laws and procedures, but the question of the OP was "what would it look like". I imagine it would be sort of like the countries without physical borders or barriers preventing others from another country to visit, work, and otherwise come and go as they please.

I don't wish to debate it efficacy of any particular country's immigration process, just answering the question in the OP.

Which, apparently, struck a few cords the wrong way.

This_person

I didn't go through any checkpoints or get any visas to drive over the Rein River. I walked from Germany into Switzerland and back with no one asking what citizen I'm a country of. No random road blocks.

I understand they have laws and procedures, but the question of the OP was "what would it look like". I imagine it would be sort of like the countries without physical borders or barriers preventing others from another country to visit, work, and otherwise come and go as they please.

I think, based on what you are saying, that you did not move into the countries of which you speak. That is very different from what the OP was asking about.

You didn't migrate there, you visited, right?

Chris0nllyn

I think, based on what you are saying, that you did not move into the countries of which you speak. That is very different from what the OP was asking about.

You didn't migrate there, you visited, right?

The link in the OP in no way limits the "open borders" concept to moving/living to/in another country. It's the movement from one country to another for a plethora of reasons. Could be to live. Could be to work. Could be to visit.
Is it time to seriously work through what a world would be like that allowed any people to leave their country and enter a new one freely, without penalty, and without forcing them into underground economies or worse?

I thought the last two paragraphs were good. The severe lack of human empathy surrounding the immigration argument is pretty stunning, at least from the majority of this forum.
Watching video of Border Patrol agents stabbing, kicking, or dumping out water bottles left out on trails where migrants regularly die of thirst, I find it hard to fathom the blatant cruelty that would inspire such an action. I spoke with one Border Patrol agent last year who witnessed a senior training officer kick a water bottle out of the hands of a 4-year-old boy who had been lost for days in the desert. How can someone do that to another person? How can someone refuse water to a person dying of thirst? The only way I can understand such an act—and I’ve spent a long time trying to understand it—is through the logic of the border: that imagined line that lets us ignore one another’s humanity.

Last year another Border Patrol agent was exonerated after shooting a teenage boy through the border fence 10 times from behind. The boy was walking on a sidewalk in Mexico and died that night. Recently, four humanitarian-aid volunteers were convicted for leaving water out on trails where migrants regularly die of thirst. That moral contradiction—the exoneration of murder and the criminalization of humanitarian aid—cannot be explained by law. Only by the logic of the border does such a deadly injustice make any sense.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Didn't the US not have borders at one point? And we became the greatest country on earth?
So you think we should go back to expansionism... Move into Mexico and Canada, drive the locals off their land and slaughter the resistant?

This_person

The link in the OP in no way limits the "open borders" concept to moving/living to/in another country. It's the movement from one country to another for a plethora of reasons. Could be to live. Could be to work. Could be to visit.

Then we simply disagree :buddies:. "Visiting" is very different from working and living in my view. I guessing that you did not enter the EU without paperwork, merely moved from one country to another within the EU without paperwork, much like one travels from TX to OH and all states in between without paperwork, but to enter the US required paperwork.

Am I right on that, or did you enter the EU without paperwork?

I thought the last two paragraphs were good. The severe lack of human empathy surrounding the immigration argument is pretty stunning, at least from the majority of this forum.

Watching video of Border Patrol agents stabbing, kicking, or dumping out water bottles left out on trails where migrants regularly die of thirst, I find it hard to fathom the blatant cruelty that would inspire such an action. I spoke with one Border Patrol agent last year who witnessed a senior training officer kick a water bottle out of the hands of a 4-year-old boy who had been lost for days in the desert. How can someone do that to another person? How can someone refuse water to a person dying of thirst? The only way I can understand such an act—and I’ve spent a long time trying to understand it—is through the logic of the border: that imagined line that lets us ignore one another’s humanity.

Last year another Border Patrol agent was exonerated after shooting a teenage boy through the border fence 10 times from behind. The boy was walking on a sidewalk in Mexico and died that night. Recently, four humanitarian-aid volunteers were convicted for leaving water out on trails where migrants regularly die of thirst. That moral contradiction—the exoneration of murder and the criminalization of humanitarian aid—cannot be explained by law. Only by the logic of the border does such a deadly injustice make any sense.​
I absolutely do not find taking water from a 4-year old or a 40 year old "blatant cruelty" at all. As a law enforcement official, I'm pretty sure that the water was not provided by the Border Patrol agent and therefore a potential threat to the child and to the agent. I feel equally certain that water - known by the agent to be clean, good, healthy water - was provided to the 4 year-old.

Volunteers leaving water out on trails are aiding and abetting people performing an illegal act and should be prosecuted and - if guilty of the act - convicted and punished for aiding and abetting illegal behavior. There is little if any difference from this and providing a get-away vehicle for a bank robber, or housing an escaped convict.

That's not lack of empathy, that's reality. I am personally very empathetic to these folks, and believe they should come to our embassies or consulates within their home countries and ask for asylum. If they deserve it, they should get it. If not:

…[W]henever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.​

I urge these people who do not qualify for asylum to do the same thing our forefathers did.

Chris0nllyn

No. At no point in the history of the United States did we ever have open borders.

What restrictions were in place prior to the 1921 Emergency Quota Act (not counting the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act as it specifically excluded Chinese)?

What quota system for immigrants was in place in the, say, 1800's?

I'm genuinely curious as I always believed that up until the early 1920's, people could come and go as they pleased.

This_person

What restrictions were in place prior to the 1921 Emergency Quota Act (not counting the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act as it specifically excluded Chinese)?

What quota system for immigrants was in place in the, say, 1800's?

I'm genuinely curious as I always believed that up until the early 1920's, people could come and go as they pleased.
The first one of which I am aware was the Steerage Act.

While not setting quotas, it did set standards, and controlled immigrants.

Additionally, when we were these United States and not the United States, the states set their own immigration policies.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Ask any German about the Turks.
I use to work with a German guy. We use to tease him as ask if it was true that his sister married a Turk. Then he entertain us for a few minues with how the Turks are parasites that suck on the German social programs. 1 of the funnier ones was how they would go to the dentist in Germany and insist on gold fillings. Then when they went back to Turkey they'd have the gold removed and sell it. Then go back to Germany for new gold fillings. Get enough Turks in a room at night, when they smile the light off the gold fillings would light up the room.