What's everyones hay status?

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
I need hay. We are feeding like it's winter. I can't find any local.

I'm thinking of getting a load delivered but I won't need it all...Would anyone be interested?

bhoffman

we just got a truck load of 666 bales and we have 125 stored up for the winter for only one maybe 2 horses so i think we are set for now, but im sure there are people out there that will go into a big load with you. i know some people are getting it from down south and they are very happy with it. we got this last stuff from canada.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Four*Leaf*Farm said:
I need hay. We are feeding like it's winter. I can't find any local.

I'm thinking of getting a load delivered but I won't need it all...Would anyone be interested?

I might be... depends on what Teff can be cut off our farm.. the timothy and orchard died, I don't think we will get any more out of them. The teff is still going strong and we've already got two cutting on it. But I don't think it will be enough even with 3 cuttings for the winter. I could be looking at 250 bales to get... what are you looking at being delivered?

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Loper said:
I might be... depends on what Teff can be cut off our farm.. the timothy and orchard died, I don't think we will get any more out of them. The teff is still going strong and we've already got two cutting on it. But I don't think it will be enough even with 3 cuttings for the winter. I could be looking at 250 bales to get... what are you looking at being delivered?

I could place an order for 400 or 500. Depending on who wants some.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Four*Leaf*Farm said:
sorry.. to answer your question- I'm looking at 30- 40 lb bales of timothy/orch mix.

ok I can do that... just no alfalfa for me. Let me talk to our farmer tomorrow and see where we stand and I'll get back to you tomorrow pm... is that alright? do you have any price quotes on the hay per bale?
he's got to get his cows through the winter on the hay he grows as well... once I talk to him I'll be better able to judge how many I'll need. I know I'll need some though. we may be able to fill a truck just between the two of us... :lmao:

Last edited:

knittin

somdexpressions
I heard that the Amish put in an order to have it brought in from PA. I would put in an order now before the prices skyrocket...

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Loper said:
ok I can do that... just no alfalfa for me. Let me talk to our farmer tomorrow and see where we stand and I'll get back to you tomorrow pm... is that alright? do you have any price quotes on the hay per bale?
he's got to get his cows through the winter on the hay he grows as well... once I talk to him I'll be better able to judge how many I'll need. I know I'll need some though. we may be able to fill a truck just between the two of us... :lmao:

It's a pricey 6.50/ bale. It's my last resort. I'm waiting on a phone call for a local source but I'm pretty sure they won't have much to let go of. I have a neighbor that will also need hay and will want some of the delivered load if I order it.
Where are you located?

Loper

Animal Poor!
Four*Leaf*Farm said:
It's a pricey 6.50/ bale. It's my last resort. I'm waiting on a phone call for a local source but I'm pretty sure they won't have much to let go of. I have a neighbor that will also need hay and will want some of the delivered load if I order it.
Where are you located?

I'm in Leonardtown

Loper

Animal Poor!
Four*Leaf*Farm said:
Where are you located?

Let me see what I can find. Farmer told me tonight that unless we get miracle rain the next few weeks I have to get some hay in. I'm looking at 200-250 bales to get in.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Loper said:
Let me see what I can find. Farmer told me tonight that unless we get miracle rain the next few weeks I have to get some hay in. I'm looking at 200-250 bales to get in.

ok... I'm calling two more numbers tomorrow to see what they have. I have another neighbor needing hay as well. It seems our whole community is suffering.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Four*Leaf*Farm said:
ok... I'm calling two more numbers tomorrow to see what they have. I have another neighbor needing hay as well. It seems our whole community is suffering.

I got a couple numbers to call that may get it a wee bit cheaper let me see... how many bales are we looking at? I need 200-250..

natbugs

I am getting a load of hay

I live in St.Leonard and I have 2100 bales coming from NY. it is timothy orchard grass mix.40 lbs bales.I need 1400 bales and will be selling the other 700 or so. it will run 4.75-5.00 a bales. I am getting the first load this week,but need to put that up for myself but you can see what it looks like.It will be a second cuttiing.

Loper

Animal Poor!
natbugs said:
I live in St.Leonard and I have 2100 bales coming from NY. it is timothy orchard grass mix.40 lbs bales.I need 1400 bales and will be selling the other 700 or so. it will run 4.75-5.00 a bales. I am getting the first load this week,but need to put that up for myself but you can see what it looks like.It will be a second cuttiing.

I'm in for 250 if it's good.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Has anyone of yous ever fooled with the 3x3x8 bales? Thats what is comming in here. I think feeding it is gonna be a biatch.

Robin

the 3x3x8 is what we feed. They are pretty nice if you have the equipment to move them. We stack them in the barn and break them open, and the flakes are thin but work like 4 flakes of hay. We have be using them for some time. We get alfalfa and it is packed. 900lb bales tied with a thicker bale rope or wire.