What's everyones hay status?

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
natbugs said:
I live in St.Leonard and I have 2100 bales coming from NY. it is timothy orchard grass mix.40 lbs bales.I need 1400 bales and will be selling the other 700 or so. it will run 4.75-5.00 a bales. I am getting the first load this week,but need to put that up for myself but you can see what it looks like.It will be a second cuttiing.

I need 200 bales. I have two neighbors that need 100 and 75.

I don't have any problem picking up.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Four*Leaf*Farm said:
I need 200 bales. I have two neighbors that need 100 and 75.

I don't have any problem picking up.

I might be getting a load in from Upper NY in about 2 weeks. Waiting for the details.

Carefulone

What are 3x3x8 bales? I'm out west temporarily, moving back east in the spring, my home, but our bales out here are 60 to 120 lbs.....and are running around 13 to 15 a bale. When I saw 6 dollars a bale, before I saw 30 to 40 lbs, I was ready to trailer some hay out here...

Robin

the 3x3x8's are approx 900 lbs more or less square bales 1 will fill the back of a pickup truck.

Carefulone

Wow....I guess they're the kind you see going across country in the fields...feeding cattle and large herds, although I think what I've seen are round. No wonder everyone says they're hard to handle...LOL....I guess I have a lot to learn about the difference's in hay from east to west.....

Robin

I like the big bales because they dont get moved around to much esp alfalfa to lose the leaves. The tractor does all the work and unloads alot of hay and stacks it in the barn. We have 8 horses on the farm and feed all year. I like it when the tractor does the work....

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Robin said:
I like the big bales because they dont get moved around to much esp alfalfa to lose the leaves. The tractor does all the work and unloads alot of hay and stacks it in the barn. We have 8 horses on the farm and feed all year. I like it when the tractor does the work....

Robin, what implement do you use for moving them?

Robin

they sure do they work fine that is exactly what we have...just make sure you are in the bale good

blueeyedangel

Is there any way possible I could get about 20 bales?
I'm in Port Tobacco, but I could pick them up.
Can anyone give me info/prices/etc?

Carefulone

I've seen them going down the road, I've got 6 to 9 horses home all year, do they flake well for feeding? They'd store better as well and I've got the tractor and implements, think I'll look into them.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
persimmoncf said:
Robin, does the round bale spear work with the long heavy sq bales?
The hay spear doesn't work well. they are longer than they are wide, and spin if you're not real careful, and you really have to spear them lengthwise, then the bailing twine snaps and it goes everywhere. You should get a set of pallet forks to work with it. we put 2 pallets down, put the bale on them, cut the twine, and retie half on each pallet. Half a pallet goes into the round bale feeder. Or just put half a bale on the forks.

SOMDRocks, we WILL go in with you on that load. Can you call me when yu have details? Little Red Chocolate boy is sold. :biggrin: Going to NC this weekend! :yay:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
happyappygirl said:
The hay spear doesn't work well. they are longer than they are wide, and spin if you're not real careful, and you really have to spear them lengthwise, then the bailing twine snaps and it goes everywhere. You should get a set of pallet forks to work with it. we put 2 pallets down, put the bale on them, cut the twine, and retie half on each pallet. Half a pallet goes into the round bale feeder. Or just put half a bale on the forks.

SOMDRocks, we WILL go in with you on that load. Can you call me when yu have details? Little Red Chocolate boy is sold. :biggrin: Going to NC this weekend! :yay:

:huggy:

Robin

The spear works fine for ours. we spear them length wise, also. The center spear is 3 ft and the bottom 2 stabilizers are 1 1/2 ft each haven't had any spin problems. The forks are a pain because you have to get under the bale. And hope you dont grab a rope the wrong way and snap it. They come banded with 5 ropes tight.. We also use a small bobcat. Just make sure you have a ballist box or weight in the tires of the tractor so they dont tip the tractor forward. some folks use the rear bush hog for weight. They are heavy bales

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
happyappygirl said:

Congrats,,, I need you to help me sell some of mine.... :notworthy :biggrin: :biggrin: Cuz you have the knack!!

smoothmarine187

Did someone say Hey?

:yay:

Attachments

• cmurda.jpg
    cmurda.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited: