• $40,000-$50,000

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • More than $50,000

Votes: 21 24.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I keep enough to live on for about 8 months. I think any more is unwise since NFCU is now paying a whopping 0.40% on savings.
There are better vehicles to set your $$ in than a $.40% savings account. :lmao:

Will you marry me? :flowers:

I just got my NFCU dividend so I think I'm up to about twelve cents. :jet:
Why get married when we can just shack up? :jet:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I have interest phobia, so I keep enough in savings to pay for anything major that might happen - new roof, car goes kerflooey, whatever. Every extra penny I have goes into paying off my mortgage (that interest phobia thing).

I wanted to do that with "extra" money but our money manager explained why it wasn't in our best interests to do so. It was a lengthy conversation that made sense at the time. It had to do with making more in investments as a percentage than you would be saving by paying off your mortgage early. Tax deductions :blahblah: We decided to listen to the guy since we are actually paying him to manage our investments. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wanted to do that with "extra" money but our money manager explained why it wasn't in our best interests to do so. It was a lengthy conversation that made sense at the time.

I've had that same conversation with money people, including my husband and Dad. But there's that phobia thing that I can't get past. It pisses me off to see how much interest I'll pay on my house, and excites me to think how much interest I save by making extra principle payments.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I've had that same conversation with money people, including my husband and Dad. But there's that phobia thing that I can't get past. It pisses me off to see how much interest I'll pay on my house, and excites me to think how much interest I save by making extra principle payments.

That would feel good to me as well. I refuse to part with my big chunk of cold had cash in the bank though. I told hubby I want to be able to go to the bank and walk out with my load and fly/drive where ever the hell I want to and have enough to hide out for a while. :lol:

ginwoman

I wanted to do that with "extra" money but our money manager explained why it wasn't in our best interests to do so. It was a lengthy conversation that made sense at the time. It had to do with making more in investments as a percentage than you would be saving by paying off your mortgage early. Tax deductions :blahblah: We decided to listen to the guy since we are actually paying him to manage our investments. :lol:

Our investor guy told us the same thing! I am still adding an extra $25 per payment. Not much, I know, but every little bit helps.

JoeMac

The general rule of thumb I have heard is 6 months living expenses. Although they urge at least 3 because most people don't even have that.

CrashTest

The general rule of thumb I have heard is 6 months living expenses. Although they urge at least 3 because most people don't even have that.

I always heard those numbers but I think they all got bumped up because of this wacked-out economy. I had about 12 months but it went down to 8 months when I added another pony to the stable back in August.

:yahoo:

bcp

In My Opinion
Yep, he's gonna get you everything for free. :lol:
go ahead and laugh, its coming.
In anticipation, I have not paid my truck payment, my trailer payment, or my house payment since he took office.

any day now he will be sending the check.... any day,,,,, any,,,

I hope.

ewashkow

I get where you are coming from with the interest phobia. If I start to send in an extra $554.58 a month starting next month, I cut 14 years off of my mortgage. Mortgage paid off by 2021 sounds good to me. I didn't check to see how quickly that would drop my PMI either and once that goes down, that will open up over $100 extra to send in, invest, or do whatever with.

Vince

go ahead and laugh, its coming.
In anticipation, I have not paid my truck payment, my trailer payment, or my house payment since he took office.

any day now he will be sending the check.... any day,,,,, any,,,

I hope.
I wouldn't hold my breath for that check if I were you. :lol: As for my savings.....I ain't tellin.:whistle:

kelb

art imitating life
$74,677.19

I've got you beat by $3.87. :coffee:

I think we got a lot of liars up in here...:lol:

Oh, and I just checked my account. I have $111,975.41 that I can go withdraw today without any issue.

I just don't think I feel like doing it right now. :biggrin:

$ 357,213.57

am I the only millionaire on here? :whistle:

:really: How YOU doin' ? :whistle:

OK this is a lie, I really have $74.67, I just added the other numbers so people would like me.
nevermind

WAAAAYYYYY less than $10,000!!! :lmao:

creepy

Last edited: