Whats the best

mingiz

Horse Poor
Depends on what your interest are...Traail riding, dressage,show jumping, western pleasure etc...

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Also depends on what your goals are for the discipline you are riding. Healthy and sound are definitly tops on my list.

MorganLover

johnycarcinogen said:
kind of horse to get?

I think morgans are an all around breed. I have one and know LOTS of people with them they do dressage, jumping, trails, show, even have gaited in the breed. They are a true all around horse. i think the best horse is an adopted horse! :lmao: you can contact the different rescues and tell them about yourself and what would work for you. you can do a google search for horse rescues around you. i adopted my morgan mare from horse net horse rescue. www.horsenethorserescue.org.

What are you thinking of doing with your horse? just something for the pasture? do you want too ride, and if so doing what. Like someone else asked, trail riding, showing, jumping, cow horse (and yes you can even do morgans in cows, they aren't generally as good as the quarter horses but they do do it,) reining? is it for an adult or a child? do you need something that a beginner needs or are you more knowledgable with horses and riding? do you want a "project" horse, or something that has been there done that?

Also things to consider, do you want to spend or can you spend money on shoes for a horse, bare feet IMO are the best way to go, but if you are going to be showing, jumping, cartting, then a horse that needs or uses shoes is the way to go (gets expensive) so if you aren't going that way, then make sure what you do end up with has great feet. Now you can never know the future of any horse, but you don't want to start out with something that needs shoes and then have to "condition" that horse to go bare foot, or start out with a horse with bad feet. make sense lol?

Healthy is a great way to go no matter WHAT breed you get. Find someone you trust that will have a good eye for what ever you look at. Taking friends might end up hurting your decision lol. I see horse and i say YES lol, sometimes well most of the time i jump in with both feet without thinking of all these things (and that is why i loved going through the rescue they want their adoptions to work out so they find what is best for you and your situation, they don't just try to place a horse to get rid of it.) they don't hid the faults, or keep the secrets. they tell you what they know, what they have seen, what they haven't seen.)

I really don't think breed matters as much as if it will work for what YOU want/need. and ugly old standardbred (sorry they aren't ugly i am just using that as an idea) that might have 1 blind eye, and isn't the best looking horse, but is the worlds best trail horse and that is all that is needed doesn't really matter how ugly he/she is right? My mare is totally blind in her left eye but i don't care, it looks nasty, but she is a GREAT horse. My grandmothers has a HORRID and i mean HORRID ( :killingme don't ever repeat that too her) looking saddlebred, This poor horse when we adopted her was 500 #'s under weight, a sway back (that is the dip in the spin area) that went so far down it was/is terrible, totally blind in one of her eyes, and has this UGLY scar across her nose from a bad halter, but she is a great trail horse for my nana, and does anything. so you see, breed doesn't really matter, looks might not either, you just have to decided what you want to do with that horse. :killingme man that got long haha. sorry.

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
You don't have to buy hay
You don't get all mushy and sad if they die cause they don't
You won't be sad when you can't ride it.

Attachments

• carosel.bmp
    36.1 KB · Views: 98

MorganLover

happyappygirl said:
You don't have to buy hay
You don't get all mushy and sad if they die cause they don't
You won't be sad when you can't ride it.

:sarcasm: :elaine:

OH goodness you must not of had a good weekend mom. poor lady, not had a good month. :huggy: