When did you get your first computer and what was it?

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
1988 XT with 8086 processor, 640k of memory that used 64k of it for 16 color graphics, a 40mb Hard Card, 5.25" floppy drive, 1200 baud modem, dot-matrix ( track paper ) printer.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Atari 800 with 6502 processor. Upgraded to 64k, dual 5.25" floppies, RS-232/Centronix parallel interface, thermal printer, cassette recorder for program storage, baseband video interface to a TV. Still have it, still works.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My friend at the old AOM computers (Hi Tim!) gave me a 286 that could barely accommodate DOS and taught me how to use it (as far as it could be used, that is).

Next up was a Mac that was fun for creating newsletters, writing columns, and not much else. It came with some Apple community similar to AOL but getting on the real internet was a challenge, not that there was a whole lot to see.

Once we started Somd.com David insisted I get a real computer so I could work. I want to say it ran Win95. And another friend hooked me up with a Mac Powerbook so I could show prospective clients what the internet was and proof their websites. :jet:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
In the late 80s, early 90s, I inherited the old file server from Raley Insurance Company. My brother used to do some work for them and he accepted it as partial payment. It's a 386 with a push button to boost the bus from 8 to 16mhz, if I remember correctly. It's in the attic waiting for me to pull it out, dust it off, and install a new fan in the PS.

Edit: I also believe it has a whopping 150mb hdd.

Last edited:

Clem72

I was a member of a two local computer "user groups" in the bay area and I wasted a lot of money on early kit computers like the Altair 8800 as we got a "deal" from the manufacturer if we purchased as a group, and we could troubleshoot the MANY issues we had building and using them together. I say wasted because like my bowflex I spent more time assembling them and getting them working than I ever did using them. I didn't seriously start using a computer for daily activities until I got an IBM 286 (I want to say 8mhz).

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My father had one of those programmable HP Calculators

We had a Heathkit H-89 running CP/M

I used a Time Share Basic Terminal in High School that dialed into a Mainframe at PG Community College over Acoustic Modem

When I came home from the Military in 1988 Mom had a Mac Plus

My 1st Computer was a Commodore 128

DaSDGuy

Never cared for personal computers for years. I worked 50+ hours a week on IBM S/360, S/370 and HP 9000 series mainframes.

Didn't want to even see a computer at home.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
Mine was running DOS 3.3 until replaced with a 486/66, Windows 3.11 and built my first network. ( Later adapted with a scavanged ATT Globalyst 515 486 to run an IPX/SPX network for Doom ) :biggrin:

Grumpy

I got a 386 sometime in the early 90s, bought it from a store up in Rockville, upgraded to an Acer in mid 90s, then a Dell Pentium in early 2000s and another Dell in 2014(this one I am using). Looked at getting a new one last summer but looked like all were pretty much 'build your own', everything ala carte. Got distracted by other things and never looked again.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
forgot what year 1992/993? but I had a guy build me a 486DX which was the fastest PC out there for personal use. I

Grumpy

Never cared for personal computers for years. I worked 50+ hours a week on IBM S/360, S/370 and HP 9000 series mainframes.

Didn't want to even see a computer at home.
Worked at NASA/Goddard for 10 years running various IBM 360 and HP computers, left in early 80s when they finally upgraded the 360s to a 308x system. PCs had just become a thing when I left Goddard.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Got a Commodore 64 around 1988. Played the hell out of Ultima, V I think.

My Favorite ... many hours spent at the post library

Front Cover for Phantasie (Commodore 64)

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I bought a used 8088 off an ad in the base newspaper at NASJAX. The ad said it came with hundreds of dollars worth of software. I thought that was a good deal. Until I realized later that you could easily copy all the files.

No hard drive, dual floppy disks. Boot disk. Then run a program and save data to the B: drive.

WordPefect, Lotus 1 2 3 & dBase III+ got me started and hooked. Did some programming with QBasic.

Iterations, loops, if, then, else, do while, X = X + 1. Once someone explained how it worked, it made more sense. It was downright brilliant. I think the best tool available at the time to become a better programmer was the debugging tools. You can step a line at a time and check variable values as you go along. It sure helps when you get a value that you didn't expect. It was a lot more efficient than staring at a print out of your program trying to figure out where the bug lies.