Where are all the young professionals?

thistle

I've lived in St. Mary's County for a year now and I can't figure out where all of the other young professionals are. Does everyone move up to DC on the weekends? I'm a mid 20s engineer and I've found it's very hard to make friends down here. Anyone else in the same boat?

usagent

I've lived in St. Mary's County for a year now and I can't figure out where all of the other young professionals are. Does everyone move up to DC on the weekends? I'm a mid 20s engineer and I've found it's very hard to make friends down here. Anyone else in the same boat?

Try Rosies:shrug:

somd_newbie

check your pm

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..

Welcome, I used to be of the engineering type around that area but I moved due to the development of technology in another area. Now, I drink beer and fart all day. But get paid for it.
There really are only about a handful of intellectuals on the boards that you would want to meet for some sort of discussion. Most of the women are somewhat loose... So, you'll probably get lucky if nothing else.
Remaining in D.C is probably your best bet and if nothing else moving to another area may work out for you as well.
Your Pal
-Fishn

greyhound

There was an article in one of the local papers a few years back that talked about the 20 something single crowd or lack of. Most young proffessionals move out of the area. They move back when they have families.

Last edited:

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus
Welcome, I used to be of the engineering type around that area but I moved due to the development of technology in another area. Now, I drink beer and fart all day. But get paid for it.
There really are only about a handful of intellectuals on the boards that you would want to meet for some sort of discussion. Most of the women are somewhat loose... So, you'll probably get lucky if nothing else.
Remaining in D.C is probably your best bet and if nothing else moving to another area may work out for you as well.
Your Pal
-Fishn

There are certainly more professional men than women.. but they are certainly around.
This IS a hard area to be young/single in though.

stonecold

I'll first state I'm new to the forums so I'll probably get blasted. I'm not new to the SOMD area but I'll agreed it's very hard to meet young professional people here in this area. They do exist though. I'm 30 and I know several other folks that are in the same boat as me and we discuss this all the time. We found that getting involved in activities or sports in probably the way to go in this area. If you list your interests, I could point you in the right direction, I'm pretty familiar as to what go on in the community.

If you want to maintain your professional associations, and the lifestyle therein, DC, and Annapolis are your best bets. If you want to make friends around here, be prepared to dress down, grab a beer and sit on the porch next the fridge and deepfryer, and get a conversation going about NASCAR and motorcycles, and you'll fit right in. You'll have friends here in no time!!

Attachments

• redneck.JPG
    redneck.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 166

thistle

I'll first state I'm new to the forums so I'll probably get blasted. I'm not new to the SOMD area but I'll agreed it's very hard to meet young professional people here in this area. They do exist though. I'm 30 and I know several other folks that are in the same boat as me and we discuss this all the time. We found that getting involved in activities or sports in probably the way to go in this area. If you list your interests, I could point you in the right direction, I'm pretty familiar as to what go on in the community.

To start, I like sports, music, and food. I would have enjoyed joining a softball team but I'm not sure how to do that. I used to play ultimate frisbee a lot when I was in high school and college. Not sure if much of that goes on around here though. I'm also really into craft beer. I dabble in homebrewing and I hit up Blue Wind or Port of Call a few times a week to see what kind of interesting brews they have in stock.

I'm trying to get more info about the Young Professionals Network that was in that article someone posted in this thread. That seems like a thing the area needs and should be a great way to get involved and to meet some people.

qbee

I'm a young professional :shrug: It is always few and far between to find the younger professionals unless you meet them at work.

SoMDGirl42

Your Pal
-Fishn

I thought Nitwhit moved back to VA Beach?

beamher

If you want to maintain your professional associations, and the lifestyle therein, DC, and Annapolis are your best bets. If you want to make friends around here, be prepared to dress down, grab a beer and sit on the porch next the fridge and deepfryer, and get a conversation going about NASCAR and motorcycles, and you'll fit right in. You'll have friends here in no time!!

yeah, don't limit yourself!!