Who wants to talk about the market...

I think this market is weird. We hadn't sold a thing since my mare back in February. Before that, it was a horse in December 07. Then, last month we started getting TONS of calls. Sold one for a client 2 weeks ago, then Muse yesterday; have two people that have both looked at 2 horses and one is coming back over her Christmas break to look again. Nothing for months then a whole boatload of folks at least *looking* AppendixQH - the mare I sold in February was super super fancy, gorgeous and a talented eventer, but was only 15.1. If she had been a hand or two taller, she would have sold in about 1/2 the time! When she was vetted, the vet wanted to know how tall she was (as she was watching her get ridden) and when I said 15.1, she couldn't believe it - thought she moved like a much bigger horse. Unfortunately, people seem to think they *need* a great big horse. I'll keep my 14.2 paint mare thankyouverymuch.

I wish everyone much luck in selling your assorted equines!

fredsaid2

BNT-Big Name Trainer=KOC, B. Martin, P. Dawson
LBNT-Local Big Name Trainer-S. White
LNT-Little Name Trainer=R. Wheeler, S. Meyers
NNT-No name trainer

Yes, what I meant though I think I only recognize one of the examples. Point being that a buyer feels the trainer is backing the horse w/ their reputation. The better (bigger) the reputation, generally the more money. You may say you have a horse that's a born hunter but a BNT/LNT will probably have put miles on the horse in the division you plan to show in.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
When I was a junior rider I would look for myself and never for resale. Now I look for something :
- 16H or larger or (large Small Hunter 15.2 to 15.3 7/8).
- Something with a curious yet willing to try new things personality.
- Doesn't get upset when it doesn't understand new concepts, but keeps trying.
- Nice long stride for getting down the lines (tough to compete w/the Warmbloods if you don't have the loping 12' stride. :whistle:)
- If I have to choose I'd rather have a nice jumper then a nice mover. In Hunter division Over Fences account for 66% to 80% of the division points.
- Nice scopey jumper that gets their front end up.
- Oh, the horse or pony must, must, must have clean lead changes!!! or display they can do them running out in the field. A perfect course means nothing without clean lead changes.

With peoples busy schedules, lack of time to ride (especially during the week if you don't have an indoor), and train a greenie they are looking more for something ready to go vs. a prospect. Paying a trainer to bring along the prospect the money can really add up with no guarantee of what you will have in the end. Putting the money out up front for the made horse or pony starts looking a lot better. Not to mention being able to show right away vs having to work your way up over several years.

crpc

I think that TC is an eventer.

the hunter list would be something like this.

BNT-Maddens, Andre
LBNT-S Hoyer? I don't do hunters here so that is my best guess.
LNT-L Prettyman
NNT-same as before

The names on the eventing list were

Karen O'Connor(Olymipain), Boyd Martin(International Rider), Phyllis Dawson (Olympian)
Sharon White (Rode Rolex-winter training list and Short list for PAG)
Ray Wheeler, Sharon Myers--both great but haven't been on a large stage themselves or their students.