Why Don’t People Return Their Shopping Carts?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Pulling up to a parking spot and finding a shopping cart there can be pretty frustrating. Why do people ignore the receptacle?

While some supermarkets are better than others, it's probably not unusual to find a few stray shopping carts littering the parking lot to the dismay of shoppers who may think that a parking spot is open, only to find that it's actually being used by a shopping cart. It seems like a basic courtesy to others: you get a cart at the supermarket, you use it to get your groceries and bring them to your vehicle, and then you return it for others to use. And yet, it's not uncommon for many people to ignore the cart receptacle entirely and leave their carts next to their cars or parked haphazardly on medians. During peak hours, it can mean bedlam. Where does this disregard come from?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"The broken windows theory is a criminological theory that states that visible signs of crime, anti-social behavior, and civil disorder create an urban environment that encourages further crime and disorder, including serious crimes "

Humans largely follow societal norms but there will always be that one deviant who is the first to break a window or leave their shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot. Once you allow that, it becomes the norm and the human animals will follow that lead. Twitter is an excellent example of broken windows theory, or anywhere humans congregate.

Nobody is ever as interested in human behavior as I am, outside of a classroom and even then my professors didn't have the time for a deep dig. :ohwell:

glhs837

Power with Control
There are circumstances where I'm okay with abandonement, person has a couple three or even one small child, I get not wanting to leave the kids in the car while you take it back. Logically, nothing is remotely happening to those kids for the 45 seconds to 1.5 minutes it takes you to return the cart, but I've given up on people operating logically. If I see that, I'll offer to take the cart for them. Older folks might not want to walk back to the car without the support of the cart, I get that too.

But most are just lazy "meh, they pay someone to do that" arseholes.

SamSpade

I've done both - usually I am lazy when it is raining or I have to take care of a family member getting in or out.

But I also like getting close to the return area - pushing hard - and watching it crash loudly. I often do a little happy dance then.
Yeah, I don't care if you're watching.

Hank

my war
I've done both - usually I am lazy when it is raining or I have to take care of a family member getting in or out.

But I also like getting close to the return area - pushing hard - and watching it crash loudly. I often do a little happy dance then.
No excuse. Take your damn cart back.

glhs837

Power with Control

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are circumstances where I'm okay with abandonement, person has a couple three or even one small child, I get not wanting to leave the kids in the car while you take it back. Logically, nothing is remotely happening to those kids for the 45 seconds to 1.5 minutes it takes you to return the cart, but I've given up on people operating logically. If I see that, I'll offer to take the cart for them. Older folks might not want to walk back to the car without the support of the cart, I get that too.

But most are just lazy "meh, they pay someone to do that" arseholes.

One of my many pet peeves is people who don't think ahead.

Parking in a lot has many opportunities to think ahead, but people don't use them and therefore cause themselves undue stress. When my kids were little and on the handful of occasions I took my grandbrat grocery shopping, I parked right next to the cart return even if the closest available one was at the far end of the lot. Strap in child, unload groceries, return cart. You can even mix it up to stave off boredom - unload groceries, strap in child, return cart.

When I see people jockeying for position so they can park in the space closest to the store, I mentally laugh at them and do this :loser: . Because when they try to back out of that space, they're going to be sitting there fuming while dawdlers and Mommies toting children walk behind their car to get to their own car. Meanwhile, I've parked at the far end for easy in, easy out...because I thought ahead.

Smart. :tapsnoggin:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
When I see people jockeying for position so they can park in the space closest to the store, I mentally laugh at them and do this :loser: . Because when they try to back out of that space, they're going to be sitting there fuming while dawdlers and Mommies toting children walk behind their car to get to their own car. Meanwhile, I've parked at the far end for easy in, easy out...because I thought ahead.

I've had that same discussion, many years ago, about parking away from the store a walking up. Added bonus was my truck didnt get dinged up when it was at the far end.

Mind you, I didnt' win those disagreements.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've parked at the far end for easy in, easy out.
I park as far away as I can in an area with no cars because I don't want door dings. But no matter where I park, by the time I come out, my truck is surrounded with "cuddlers". There's a million other places to park, but NOOOOOooooo, they have to slide in so close I can't open the door.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I park as far away as I can in an area with no cars because I don't want door dings. But no matter where I park, by the time I come out, my truck is surrounded with "cuddlers". There's a million other places to park, but NOOOOOooooo, they have to slide in so close I can't open the door.

Which takes us nicely right back to the topic :yay: People won't park in the hinterlands.....until they see someone else do it. Then their fear of walking a few feet to the store makes them so insecure that they leave their car cuddled up to yours so their car doesn't get scared or lonely. "Here, Chevy, just sit here and play with this nice truck while I'm in the store. I'll only be a few minutes....."

glhs837

Power with Control
One of my many pet peeves is people who don't think ahead.

Parking in a lot has many opportunities to think ahead, but people don't use them and therefore cause themselves undue stress. When my kids were little and on the handful of occasions I took my grandbrat grocery shopping, I parked right next to the cart return even if the closest available one was at the far end of the lot. Strap in child, unload groceries, return cart. You can even mix it up to stave off boredom - unload groceries, strap in child, return cart.

Yeah, but again, thinking people are going to be mindful, as the kids call it, and think things through, that's unrealistic, always has been. I know what I do, and the amount of initial effort I put into making things smooth, and therefore making them easier later, and people think I am crazy. Why would I not study traffic patterns as I drive and look for places where turbulent flow slows things down and makes things crappy? Why would I not unload my cart onto the belt in heavy to light order and be pulling out my card while the cashier is ringing items? To me, not to do so is making your own life harder, and those of others waiting for you. Either toss your change in the damn purse loose, or have your wallet out and ready to put it in there.

But that's me, and everybody else is everybody else. Even if I were to shame them, they will not change. It's too acceptable to just mindlessly wander through life bumping off the walls and being surprised when it doesnt work smoothly.

Makavide

Not too talkative
The shopping cart is the ultimate litmus test for whether a person is capable of self-governing.

To return the shopping cart is an easy, convenient task and one which we all recognize as the correct, appropriate thing to do. To return the shopping cart is objectively right. There are no situations other than dire emergencies in which a person is not able to return their cart. Simultaneously, it is not illegal to abandon your shopping cart. Therefore the shopping cart presents itself as the apex example of whether a person will do what is right without being forced to do it. No one will punish you for not returning the shopping cart, no one will fine you, or kill you for not returning the shopping cart, you gain nothing by returning the shopping cart. You must return the shopping cart out of the goodness of your own heart. You must return the shopping cart because it is the right thing to do. Because it is correct.

A person who is unable to do this is no better than an animal, an absolute savage who can only be made to do what is right by threatening them with a law and the force that stands behind it.

The Shopping Cart is what determines whether a person is a good or bad member of society.

So which one are you?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why would I not unload my cart onto the belt in heavy to light order and be pulling out my card while the cashier is ringing items?

I swear I'm not making this up and it's happened a few times:

I unload my cart according to what goes together. Non-food items together, produce together, canned goods, fresh meat, etc. The bagdummeh will load my produce into a bag, and because there's still a bit of room will reach OVER other items to grab the pack of pork chops and toss in on top of the produce. Or they will bag laundry detergent with the fresh meat.

:jameo:

It's too acceptable to just mindlessly wander through life bumping off the walls and being surprised when it doesnt work smoothly.

And someone will come along to fix their self-imposed problem or assure them it's not their fault, so there's no real incentive to get their chit together.

It's maddening, I tell ya.