Why I Carry A Gun ...

R

RadioPatrol

:coffee:

Why I carry a gun
My favorite anecdote about Bill Jordan goes something like this:

Now Ol' Bill, he was a direct man, and a big one at that, so most of the folks he put away were willing to chalk it up to "just business", and leave it at that.

Well Bill heard this feller was raisin' a stink about comin' round to get some back at him for, but he didn't think too much of it.

A few days later, Bills sittin' out there on his porch, and he's got his trademark combat magnum in his lap. His neighbor walks by and says to bill "See ya got yer pistol there Bill, you 'spectin trouble?", So says Bill "Nope, if I was expeting trouble, I'd have my rifle"​

:whistle:

I carry a gun whenever it is legal, and not impolite for me to do so. When I am entering the home or place of business of someone I don't know, I will inform them I am armed, and ask them if they would prefer I not carry a gun while there.

It's just polite.

A lot of people ask me "Why do you carry a gun, do you expect trouble?"

No, I carry a gun not because I expect trouble, but because I can. If I was expecting trouble I'd carry a 12ga.

More in the extended entry...

The practice of carrying a weapon is a clear assertion that I am a man. By that I'm not talking about macho bull####; By saying I am a man, I mean that I am an adult, responsible for my actions, and willing to accept the consequences of them.

When you carry a gun you have in your hands (or on your hip), the ability to end any mans life. This is a massive responsibility, second only to that of raising children.

Many people are uncomfortable with that responsiblity. They believe that they can't be trusted with it, and by extension, neither can anyone else. They fall back on saying "the police" or "the government" should take care of that. Someone with special training, and the blessings of the state should be responsible, but not me, or you, or anyone else.

I can think of no clearer way of saying "I am immature, and not to be trusted".

When I carry a gun, I accept the fact that I may kill someone. I don't ever plan on doing it, I hope it doesn't happen, but it may. I am prepared for this possibility, and I accept the consequences should it happen.

A few months ago, I broke up with a girlfriend over this. She asked me what I would do to someone if they tried to rape her. I told her flat out that I would kill him. No hesitation there at all. She told me later that from that moment, she was afraid of me.

I asked her what she would do if someone tried to rape her. She said she wouldn't fight. "What if you had a gun, would you shoot the guy to stop it", no she wouldn't do that. "ok what if I was there and I shot him, would that be OK", no of course not. Finally I asked "What if a cop came along, and he shot the guy would that be ok" well of course, he's a cop.

That attitude frankly baffles, and disgusts me, yet there are so many people who hold it. They feel morally superior because they would never "sink to that level".

Personally I would consider that pretty clear evidence of moral bankruptcy.

The same applies to people who would never fight in a war, but are OK with soldiers and cops defending their rights. Oh, they'll protest, and march in the streets, but actually doing anything? No they're all above that and have disdain for everyone else who isn't, calling us savages, and rednecks, and barbarians etc...

I carry a gun because it is my right, and because I am responsible enough to exercise it. I feel nothing but pity or contempt for those who are not.

:dye:

If I could carry, I certainly would carry. Its nearly impossible to get a permit in MD.

Yep. The Police will protect you.

NRA-ILA ::

Maryland Independent, Charles County, MD, 04/08/05
State: MD
American Rifleman Issue: 7/1/2005
A woman living in Charles County, Md., initially turned to the judicial system to seek protection from an abusive ex-boyfriend. "I have been afraid to come forth and speak out for fear of him doing bodily harm to me and threatening to burn down my home," she said in her petition requesting a protective order. "The last four years have been a living hell. I am contemplating purchasing a handgun for my protection." After twice violating the court order, the man, described as a violent drug addict, broke into the home and began beating her current boyfriend with a metal pipe. This time she was indeed armed with a handgun, which she used to shoot and kill her attacker. Police said she had not been charged with a crime and that they considered her a victim.

DEEKAYPEE8569

If I could carry, I certainly would carry. Its nearly impossible to get a permit in MD.
-------------------------------

The way I have come to understand Maryland CCW as it pertains to the average citizen is; having a 'good and substantial reason' to carry a firearm;' or however it's worded. Which means; to use the ladies as an example; if a woman is raped and can prove it; if she applies for a CCW permit, she will more than likely get one. A rape victim with a gun?? No thank you!

IMO
There should be NO caveats for obtaining a CCW permit. By that I mean, store owner, retired police officer, bank manager etc..

If you are a MD resident of legal age; you don't have a criminal record; if you pass the background check; if you take the handgun course/watch the tape; you should be able to acquire a MD CCW permit.....no questions asked.

If Maryland was a "Shall Issue" state, there would be a WHOLE LOT less stupidity. (Take that as you will)

JimW711

Driving the Z
-------------------------------

The way I have come to understand Maryland CCW as it pertains to the average citizen is; having a 'good and substantial reason' to carry a firearm;' or however it's worded. Which means; to use the ladies as an example; if a woman is raped and can prove it; if she applies for a CCW permit, she will more than likely get one. A rape victim with a gun?? No thank you!

IMO
There should be NO caveats for obtaining a CCW permit. By that I mean, store owner, retired police officer, bank manager etc..

If you are a MD resident of legal age; you don't have a criminal record; if you pass the background check; if you take the handgun course/watch the tape; you should be able to acquire a MD CCW permit.....no questions asked.

If Maryland was a "Shall Issue" state, there would be a WHOLE LOT less stupidity. (Take that as you will)

Speaking as one who used to have a CCW in Maryland, I totally agree with you. However, you can thank Paris Glendening and the rest of the liberal azzhole politicians in this state for the anti-gun laws that proliferate the books.

When I went to renew my permit the first time, they turmed me down stating that my previous reasons (running a business, collecting money, and making deposits) were no longer justified. I fought it by submitting newspaper clipping showing the number of robberies and assaults that had taken place during the time they turned me down and the time I resubmitted the renewal. I got my renewal and believe it or not, they did the same fricking thing 2 years later when I had to renew again.

The urge to move to a CCW state such as Virginia, Texas, or Florida looks better and better every day now that Obama Bin Laden has been elected.

JimW711

Driving the Z
Go to Deleware its open carry if I'm not mistaken.

Who cares about open carry? The dumbazz criminals won't try to rob or attack you if they know you have a gun. I want concealed carry so when the dumbazz tries to rob me I can cap his azz.
:evil:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Go to Deleware its open carry if I'm not mistaken.

Not the answer and certainly not the state I'd be moving to for more gun rights if I were to move.

People should have the right to carry there firearms as they see fit. Concealed or Open.

Pushrod

Patriot
Not the answer and certainly not the state I'd be moving to for more gun rights if I were to move.

People should have the right to carry there firearms as they see fit. Concealed or Open.

Every liberal theory about legal citizens carrying guns, either openly or concealed has ben debunked by the facts from the many states where their citizens have been carrying both ways for years. Yet Maryland's anti-gun contingent and legislatures still espouse those disproven fears every time bills are introduced to stop infringing on our Rights. I'm afraid with the new make up of the government, it will now only get worse.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Every liberal theory about legal citizens carrying guns, either openly or concealed has ben debunked by the facts from the many states where their citizens have been carrying both ways for years. Yet Maryland's anti-gun contingent and legislatures still espouse those disproven fears every time bills are introduced to stop infringing on our Rights. I'm afraid with the new make up of the government, it will now only get worse.

No doubt you are correct.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Speaking as one who used to have a CCW in Maryland, I totally agree with you. However, you can thank Paris Glendening and the rest of the liberal azzhole politicians in this state for the anti-gun laws that proliferate the books.

When I went to renew my permit the first time, they turmed me down stating that my previous reasons (running a business, collecting money, and making deposits) were no longer justified. I fought it by submitting newspaper clipping showing the number of robberies and assaults that had taken place during the time they turned me down and the time I resubmitted the renewal. I got my renewal and believe it or not, they did the same fricking thing 2 years later when I had to renew again.

The urge to move to a CCW state such as Virginia, Texas, or Florida looks better and better every day now that Obama Bin Laden has been elected.

I still believe the reason MD is not a "Shall Issue" state is because of D.C.'s proximity. If it wasn't for that fact, MD would be "Shall Issue."
Think about it. PA, WV, VA and I believe DE are al "Shall Issue" states. There are many CCW holders who don't or won't travel to or through MD because it's not a "Shall Issue" state. Just think of the possible revenue if it was.

edinsomd

Who cares about open carry? The dumbazz criminals won't try to rob or attack you if they know you have a gun. I want concealed carry so when the dumbazz tries to rob me I can cap his azz.
:evil:

Brilliant. This is exactly the attitude the gun-grabbers point to when the CCW issue comes up. I sincerely hope I never have to resort to firearms to protect myself or my family (or anyone else, for that matter), but I do have the means, the will and the skills to do so if needed.
Ed

They do. Some states just stubbornly refuse to acknowledge it.

PulseStart

Go Bills!
Brilliant. This is exactly the attitude the gun-grabbers point to when the CCW issue comes up. I sincerely hope I never have to resort to firearms to protect myself or my family (or anyone else, for that matter), but I do have the means, the will and the skills to do so if needed.
Ed

Never mind the dog beware of the owner.