Why I Carry A Gun ...

corollinout

Not the answer and certainly not the state I'd be moving to for more gun rights if I were to move.

People should have the right to carry there firearms as they see fit. Concealed or Open.

I wouldn't move to a different state just for that. I was just sayin.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I wouldn't move to a different state just for that. I was just sayin.

I wouldn't blame anyone for moving out of MD because of the gun laws, if I did not have so many connections to this area I'd be gone.

What I am saying is that just picking up and moving is kind of just giving in and making the states with strong gun control even weaker from a gun owners perspective.

DE would be marginally better than MD, I'd rather be in VA.

dustin

UAIOE
I think an open carry state is better, not for actually carrying in the open, but for those who are actually carrying concealed but may need to present the weapon in public, or may present it in the open by accident. For instance, say if you bend over to pick up a box and your shirt lifts up to show your concealed handgun... or if you are removing your handgun from a locked box in the trunk of your car and placing it into your concealed holster. Or maybe its summertime and its just really difficult to keep your gun from printing.

One of the last things any CCW licensed individual would want is a concerned citizen calling 911 and stating that "there is a man with a gun in the parking lot!"

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I think an open carry state is better, not for actually carrying in the open, but for those who are actually carrying concealed but may need to present the weapon in public, or may present it in the open by accident. For instance, say if you bend over to pick up a box and your shirt lifts up to show your concealed handgun... or if you are removing your handgun from a locked box in the trunk of your car and placing it into your concealed holster. Or maybe its summertime and its just really difficult to keep your gun from printing.

One of the last things any CCW licensed individual would want is a concerned citizen calling 911 and stating that "there is a man with a gun in the parking lot!"

Unless it is blantant the general person in public would almost never see a concealed firearm, especially in todays world with all the crap people carry on their belts, blackberrys ect....

dustin

UAIOE
Unless it is blantant the general person in public would almost never see a concealed firearm, especially in todays world with all the crap people carry on their belts, blackberrys ect....
Good point.

I'm just saying open carry is also good because it lessens liability for the carrier.

I'm for open carry in all states for that reason.

Vince

Speaking as one who used to have a CCW in Maryland, I totally agree with you. However, you can thank Paris Glendening and the rest of the liberal azzhole politicians in this state for the anti-gun laws that proliferate the books.

When I went to renew my permit the first time, they turmed me down stating that my previous reasons (running a business, collecting money, and making deposits) were no longer justified. I fought it by submitting newspaper clipping showing the number of robberies and assaults that had taken place during the time they turned me down and the time I resubmitted the renewal. I got my renewal and believe it or not, they did the same fricking thing 2 years later when I had to renew again.

The urge to move to a CCW state such as Virginia, Texas, or Florida looks better and better every day now that Obama Bin Laden has been elected.
Guess they figured the police would protect you. Sure.:whistle:

Vince

Why I carry a gun

More in the extended entry...

The practice of carrying a weapon is a clear assertion that I am a man. By that I'm not talking about macho bull####; By saying I am a man, I mean that I am an adult, responsible for my actions, and willing to accept the consequences of them.
When you carry a gun you have in your hands (or on your hip), the ability to end any mans life. This is a massive responsibility, second only to that of raising children.

Many people are uncomfortable with that responsiblity. They believe that they can't be trusted with it, and by extension, neither can anyone else. They fall back on saying "the police" or "the government" should take care of that. Someone with special training, and the blessings of the state should be responsible, but not me, or you, or anyone else.

I can think of no clearer way of saying "I am immature, and not to be trusted".

When I carry a gun, I accept the fact that I may kill someone. I don't ever plan on doing it, I hope it doesn't happen, but it may. I am prepared for this possibility, and I accept the consequences should it happen.

A few months ago, I broke up with a girlfriend over this. She asked me what I would do to someone if they tried to rape her. I told her flat out that I would kill him. No hesitation there at all. She told me later that from that moment, she was afraid of me.

I asked her what she would do if someone tried to rape her. She said she wouldn't fight. "What if you had a gun, would you shoot the guy to stop it", no she wouldn't do that. "ok what if I was there and I shot him, would that be OK", no of course not. Finally I asked "What if a cop came along, and he shot the guy would that be ok" well of course, he's a cop.

That attitude frankly baffles, and disgusts me, yet there are so many people who hold it. They feel morally superior because they would never "sink to that level".

Personally I would consider that pretty clear evidence of moral bankruptcy.

The same applies to people who would never fight in a war, but are OK with soldiers and cops defending their rights. Oh, they'll protest, and march in the streets, but actually doing anything? No they're all above that and have disdain for everyone else who isn't, calling us savages, and rednecks, and barbarians etc...

I carry a gun because it is my right, and because I am responsible enough to exercise it. I feel nothing but pity or contempt for those who are not.
I couldn't agree more, but you'll never see any kind of "carry" in the liberl azz state of MD. Most expect the gov't to care for them and their children.

:coffee:
A few days later, Bills sittin' out there on his porch, and he's got his trademark combat magnum in his lap. His neighbor walks by and says to bill "See ya got yer pistol there Bill, you 'spectin trouble?", So says Bill "Nope, if I was expeting trouble, I'd have my rifle"
:dye:

I took a course with Clint Smith about 10 years ago - he was fond of making the point that one of the best uses of a handgun was to fight your way to the rifle that you now realize you shouldn't have put down.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I took a course with Clint Smith about 10 years ago - he was fond of making the point that one of the best uses of a handgun was to fight your way to the rifle that you now realize you shouldn't have put down.

It is true unfortunatley slinging a rifle and walking around town isn't too practical. In a home defense situation though, yes.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Good point.

I'm just saying open carry is also good because it lessens liability for the carrier.

I'm for open carry in all states for that reason.

I am all for open carry too and anyone that wants to do it. Just from my perspective I'd rather carry concealed.

I have two CCW permits, unfortunatley they do not cover me in my primary state of residence. The Utah non-resident one I have though covers like 31 other states though.

JimW711

Driving the Z

I can pull my 9mm or 40 S&W out of my holster and get in a shooting stance much quicker than with any rifle or shotgun. With the right ammunition in the handgun (a few Black Talons for example), who needs a rifle?
:evil:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I can pull my 9mm or 40 S&W out of my holster and get in a shooting stance much quicker than with any rifle or shotgun. With the right ammunition in the handgun (a few Black Talons for example), who needs a rifle?

Yeah, all the worlds Army's are nuts for carrying any kind of long gun.

I'll take a rifle almost anytime over a handgun.

R

RadioPatrol

It is true unfortunatley slinging a rifle and walking around town isn't too practical. In a home defense situation though, yes.

If they only put Rifle / Shotgun cases on the sides of shopping carts (like a on a saddle) in walmart it would be ok then :whistle: