Wild Cat

I

Inkpen

Well, crap, now I don't know what a spillover creature is.

Feed at the far edge of your property..put it at the tree line..far away from your house...watch with binoculars...

But right now with the huge acorn harvest, no need to put of food for deer.

Maybe in winter if we get a lot of snow....
But no reason now....

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Feed at the far edge of your property..put it at the tree line..far away from your house...watch with binoculars...

But right now with the huge acorn harvest, no need to put of food for deer.

Maybe in winter if we get a lot of snow....
But no reason now....

We just took 2 or 3 wheelbarrows of acorns to the bottom of the property so they should be well-fed. We'll get a few more wheelbarrows this weekend, I'm sure. Thanks.

I

Inkpen

We just took 2 or 3 wheelbarrows of acorns to the bottom of the property so they should be well-fed. We'll get a few more wheelbarrows this weekend, I'm sure. Thanks.

BS..Bag the surplus acorns and put then out in the winter after we get snow..or in later winter when they really need the acorns.

Right now we have one of the largest harvests, so save it for the critters when they really need it.

You know, one trick to get deer to come out is to climb a tree and drop a few acorns at a time?
They target in on the sound of dropping acorns. Learned that in a wilderness class a couple of years ago.
To the deer, a dropping acorn is a very loud dinner bell!!

And acorns are so much better than corn.

F

finickyfilly

thank you

Spillover animals:

You put out corn for the deer...they eat some of the corn...and leave ...
raccoons come up and nibble on some of it....and leave...
opossums come up to check out the smell of the coons..figuring they found good stuff to eat...opossums nibble some kernals..and leave...
Mice find corn and eat a lot of it...and stash a lot of it...
Squirrels find the corn in daytime and ear a lot and stach a lotof it away..

Jays and crows love corn,...and come and eat and others come and eat...

If in an open area, a hawk might buzz thru hoping to carch a brid for dinner...
Owls hunt the mice at night...

Snakes are now attracted to the pile of corn ..they have come for the mice...
Black snakes, (good guys) copperheads, (bad guys) and other rodent eating snakes..

All these are spillover animals.

The spillover from feeding one primary animals creats a mini unnatural ecosystem for animals and "pests".

When the deer food is gone, the spillovers will look for more easy food and begin to encroach on your property, your deck, barn, shed, etc.

I also am a Widlife Control Cooperator...mean I deal with pest calls, problem critters and half of my time is spent educating the homeower about how to keep animals away...and 99% of the people have birdfeeders on their property.
The #1 source for spillover species.

Ask Catt about the damage the coons have done cause of thei love for humming bird feeders.
She has a lot of woods...and I mean a lot and there was no way to start trapping the coons out...no way...only way she could reduce the numbers of encounters was to remove all the feeders...

Coons did a lot of damage to her dogs and it was a momma coon looking for easy food to support her babies....

So learn from others and dont feed the wildlife unless you are willing to accept all the possible consequences for your choices...and any effect on your neighbors too.

:howdy:

Thank you for your post...Very informational and less stressful on your part. I have read your posts for a while and have seen you getting more and more aggitated. Its easier to educate which you do quite well, some of us read these posts to learn from your wisdom. Thank you for continueing to post, I t is nice seeing a softer side...I like to read these posts more....

I

Inkpen

Thank you for your post...Very informational and less stressful on your part. I have read your posts for a while and have seen you getting more and more aggitated. Its easier to educate which you do quite well, some of us read these posts to learn from your wisdom. Thank you for continueing to post, I t is nice seeing a softer side...I like to read these posts more....

Can you understand WHY I get so harsh, aggitated, etc?
You have any idea the damage people here in So Md do to animals?

If people left wildlife alone, did not try to make pets of them, stop kidnapping babies ( bunnies and fawns, birds) and let momma take care of them as she is designed to, our rehab numbers would drop by 70%!!!!

Know how many state licensed rehabbers there are in the tri-county area?
Less than 10. Only 2 in St. Marys, 1 in Charles, 4 in Calvert and 2 of theose are planning to retire.

Average number of animals rehabbed: about100- 250 per rehabber...if squirrels, number is higher..and we have more orphans because of all the land being cleared, trees cut down for development.

I dont have mush that pissed me off..just stupid people.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
BS..Bag the surplus acorns and put then out in the winter after we get snow..or in later winter when they really need the acorns.

Right now we have one of the largest harvests, so save it for the critters when they really need it.

You know, one trick to get deer to come out is to climb a tree and drop a few acorns at a time?
They target in on the sound of dropping acorns. Learned that in a wilderness class a couple of years ago.
To the deer, a dropping acorn is a very loud dinner bell!!

And acorns are so much better than corn.

Good idea! I will bag some up, but I'm not climbing any trees. I'll make DR do that.:lmao:

F

finickyfilly

Can you understand WHY I get so harsh, aggitated, etc?
You have any idea the damage people here in So Md do to animals?

If people left wildlife alone, did not try to make pets of them, stop kidnapping babies ( bunnies and fawns, birds) and let momma take care of them as she is designed to, our rehab numbers would drop by 70%!!!!

Know how many state licensed rehabbers there are in the tri-county area?
Less than 10. Only 2 in St. Marys, 1 in Charles, 4 in Calvert and 2 of theose are planning to retire.

Average number of animals rehabbed: about100- 250 per rehabber...if squirrels, number is higher..and we have more orphans because of all the land being cleared, trees cut down for development.

I dont have mush that pissed me off..just stupid people.

Wildlife is nice to watch..at a safe distance..thank you for your posts...

I

Inkpen

Wild Cat 10-31-2007 08:17 PM How about just letting things fall where God intended them to fall for the animals

Then how about not feeding stray cats sweet karma giver....
and that goes to you and all the rest of your MPDs .....

Thank you fro all the lovely karma...looks like I hit a sensitive spot. Hope you can move on from here and practice what you preach in real life!:howdy:

I

Inkpen

FYI: A lot of people collect, abg and freeze their acorns..( ya thought I was going to say nuts huh!!)

That way any bugs are killed and acorns last longer is we have a bad, snowy winter.

But not everyone has a super huge freezer for so many frozen nuts....
I pack my acorns in buckets with sand...the sand smothers the bugs and still keeps nuts fresh.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
FYI: A lot of people collect, abg and freeze their acorns..( ya thought I was going to say nuts huh!!)

That way any bugs are killed and acorns last longer is we have a bad, snowy winter.

But not everyone has a super huge freezer for so many frozen nuts....
I pack my acorns in buckets with sand...the sand smothers the bugs and still keeps nuts fresh.

Wanna come get my acorns this weekend?

I

Inkpen

Oh...A chicken pick who can't sign their comments...kinda fits the model of a 1st grader ....How cute and so creative!!!

Wild Cat 10-31-2007 09:41 PM it's not coming from who you think...muahahahahahhahaha

You are such a sweetie!!! Thank you for the laugh!!

I

Inkpen

This is great!!

So many tricks on Halloween on the Forum..and all unsigned, like any of you would claim your brainy and creative comments.

Thank you all so very much!!!:diva:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Up to US Fish and Wildlife. ...and DNR.
May be transfered to Education program/Eduaction Permit somewhere in US.
But it is doing better...ears still swollen, but has good balance and is eating a lot of yummy mice!!
Looks odd due to the swelling.....but he is such a cutie!!!

He will live in captivity :frown: