Winter Survival

R

Rienell

Hey ladies! This will be my first winter up here in MD. I'm a Florida native but I've been living in Texas for the last 11 years, just so you know my winter survival experience=NONE. lol

How about listing some must-have items for a winter wardrobe, and other essential survival equipment. Stuff you have around the house and in the car for making it through the winter uneventfully. I'd greatly appreciate it. I got the basic coats n scarves stuff, but I'm wondering what else I might need that I'm not thinking of.

Thanks! :smile::smile:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hey ladies! This will be my first winter up here in MD. I'm a Florida native but I've been living in Texas for the last 11 years, just so you know my winter survival experience=NONE. lol

How about listing some must-have items for a winter wardrobe, and other essential survival equipment. Stuff you have around the house and in the car for making it through the winter uneventfully. I'd greatly appreciate it. I got the basic coats n scarves stuff, but I'm wondering what else I might need that I'm not thinking of.

Thanks! :smile::smile:

Stay at home when it snows, it'll be gone in a few hours...

The winters here are nothing special, and really don't need any special preparations or gear for, other than knowing the drivers here are ignorant when it comes to driving in the snow. Many won't slow down, and will drive just as agressive (stupid) as they did in August..

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
You need a quality (worth the extra money) wide car window ice scrapper.

Also depending on where you are - just in case - a bag of quick melt for your porch steps.

I didn't own a shovel my first year here and tried sweeping the snow away - what a mess. Invest in a snow shovel.

Scarves, gloves, hats (ear protectors), thick socks, water proof no slip boots, lots of toilet paper (cause once it hints of snow there is none to be found), cocoa. I still freeze my arse off up here, but lots of layers are the key. Also buy a LONG length coat. I literally thought I was going to have hypothermia my first year here. You adjust, but barely. Thta's why I say I am not moving nay further North. To think, the winters are not bad here. :lmao: Also, power grids seem to collapse more in the winter - so make a stockpile for just in case the power goes out, batteries, flashlight, water, instant food, sterno, etc.

Oh another thing that I discovered is flannel sheets - so worth the investment.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You need a quality (worth the extra money) wide car window ice scrapper.

Also depending on where you are - just in case - a bag of quick melt for your porch steps.

I didn't own a shovel my first year here and tried sweeping the snow away - what a mess. Invest in a snow shovel.

Scarves, gloves, hats (ear protectors), thick socks, water proof no slip boots, lots of toilet paper (cause once it hints of snow there is none to be found), cocoa. I still freeze my arse off up here, but lots of layers are the key. Also buy a LONG length coat. I literally thought I was going to have hypothermia my first year here. You adjust, but barely. Thta's why I say I am not moving nay further North. To think, the winters are not bad here. :lmao: Also, power grids seem to collapse more in the winter - so make a stockpile for just in case the power goes out, batteries, flashlight, water, instant food, sterno, etc.

Oh another thing that I discovered is flannel sheets - so worth the investment.

but you are so small.. Are you like one of those teacup Chihuahuas that have to shake to keep warm on 90 degree days??

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I find them to be uncomfortable. Yucky!
Yep, but you are native of the area and you have a husband, dog and cat and more in bed with you. :shrug: Trust me, moving from a hot climate to here, any little bit of extra warmth is appreciated.

Really good hand cream. My hands get really dried out in the winter.
:yeahthat: I didn't even think of it. Plus spray in conditioner for the static cling hair days.

Ohhh I do love my fleeces too.

but you are so small.. Are you like one of those teacup Chihuahuas that have to shake to keep warm on 90 degree days??
Yes.

The giant - I'm sweating to death. It's hotter than heck out here.
Me - Really? It seems a bit chilly to me. Brrr.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
A humidifier. I bought one last year and it made so much difference in the comfort level in my house. Plus it had the added benefit of my skin not drying out so much. :yay:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Yep, but you are native of the area and you have a husband, dog and cat and more in bed with you. :shrug: Trust me, moving from a hot climate to here, any little bit of extra warmth is appreciated.
I find the material to be uncomfortable - it has nothing to do with keeping warm. I don't even have flannel shirts or pajamas.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
the drivers here are ignorant when it comes to driving in the snow. Many won't slow down, and will drive just as agressive (stupid) as they did in August..

It's worth the time to hit an empty parking lot to find out how your car will handle during reduced traction conditions. Just take a ew turns around the lot and find out what your car/tires will do at various speeds and what happens when you freak out and slam on the brakes.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Stay at home when it snows, it'll be gone in a few hours...

The winters here are nothing special, and really don't need any special preparations or gear for, other than knowing the drivers here are ignorant when it comes to driving in the snow. Many won't slow down, and will drive just as agressive (stupid) as they did in August..

Truer words were never spoken. The faintest dusting of snow will leave the ditches filled with cars. If you have a fireplace have some wood around, a little ice storm can knock out out the power pretty dang fast around here. It's nice to be able to start a fire and hope they can fix the power before you have to drive to the next state to find a hotel room.